What have YOU done so far? (2 Viewers)

suling

HSC
I have been super slack this week...I have only read two books for Extension History, and in one I didn't even read the whole thing, I just looked up the relevant pages in the index.

Slack.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yeah The Global Economy by Tim Dixon should be sufficient.
and as for statistics, you don't need that much. Just a bit to reinforce some of the trends, coz you're not gonna memorise all of thatbefore the exam

nerd_2b

HSC
Feel so lazy ><
Done about 1300ish words of EE2
Read a few books for EE2 research too
Read Frankenstein, watched Blade Runner
Finished eng adv short story
Finished making notes for all of the Global Economy
Up to date with chem, mod
Went on a four-day holiday with family

nerd_2b - what I did was just mash Tim Riley & Dixon together; so my notes are basically both books summarised. Riley has a lot of useless shit in it and looking at all those stats makes me feel physically ill sometimes. It's good to use other books too, because they actually bother to explain the concept instead of just stuffing as many statistics as can fit on the page.

Off to start on the Acidic Environment!
at least you bothered to mash riley and another book together.
I can't understand my notes if I use riley, I completely agree with you. It's so out of tune as compared to other books. I haven't used Dixon, but I use leading edge.

I would probably take some stats out from that book and only use it for stats, because I don't get the theory content they're explaining. It's a complete contrast to what I learn in class. And besides, economics is more than notes; it's also about current affairs, so I will use Tim Riley as my stats book...

i'm so frustrated about eco.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
how much stats do we need to memorise? don't you only use stats for the essays?

kounato

HSC
Almost achieved everything from my to-do list for modern history (Summaries, 16 booklets of questions about WW1, Source Questions)
Only the assessment to go :)

Need to start Business study notes today though..

Holidays have been a good balance so far of study and rest so i can't complain, still need to stay focused for the next few weeks though :)

saberbladexx

HSC
Haven't done anything so far except bludge and play tekken 6 and MW2 on ps3 the past couple of weeks LOL.
Haven't touched my text/work books in ages....

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I've finally finished all my bio notes T_T TOOK ME SO LONG
That's the only solid acheivement so far...
Ah shit.

nerd_2b

HSC
Hmm, I think it's the fact that my "summaries" aren't exactly summaries. I like to have as much information as possible or else I'll feel unsure come exam time. The only quality of mine I consider useful when it comes to studying is the fact that I have a pretty good memory - large chunks of info tend to stick in my head, so having a lot of stuff to go through works for me. I generally have 3-4 textbook + up to 5 sets of notes (usually from BOS) around me when I make notes and I take out the best bits from each. I guess that's why it takes me so long, I read through basically the same info about 10 times, but then, that works too because it all sticks in my head better.

Well, it's worked for me so far, so I guess I'll just trudge on. :spin:
Well, I'm glad that someone studies like I do.

That's EXACTLY what I do, and it takes me 5 days...
I have as much info, but they're all relevant but go in deeper detail. I have around 6-7 sets of notes.
When are you planning to finish the full course notes by?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Well, I'm glad that someone studies like I do.

That's EXACTLY what I do, and it takes me 5 days...
I have as much info, but they're all relevant but go in deeper detail. I have around 6-7 sets of notes.
When are you planning to finish the full course notes by?
isn't it hard studying from 6-7 sets of notes?
I'm studying from 2. I do one set during the holidays, and another set two weeks before the exam. It helps to make things stick to my brain.
and my notes are usually 20 pages long.
how long are your notes?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Nearly started Frankenstein. It's depressing, since my entire class seems to think it's an easy read ><
Never read Frankenstein lol, I will probably get flamed for this but it's not necessary to read the texts.

mRJoJo

Spacebook
HSC
N/A
Hmm, I think it's the fact that my "summaries" aren't exactly summaries. I like to have as much information as possible or else I'll feel unsure come exam time. The only quality of mine I consider useful when it comes to studying is the fact that I have a pretty good memory - large chunks of info tend to stick in my head, so having a lot of stuff to go through works for me. I generally have 3-4 textbook + up to 5 sets of notes (usually from BOS) around me when I make notes and I take out the best bits from each. I guess that's why it takes me so long, I read through basically the same info about 10 times, but then, that works too because it all sticks in my head better.

Well, it's worked for me so far, so I guess I'll just trudge on. :spin:
LOL nutcrakcer & nerd_2b you both use the same technique as me
out of curiosity do you guys hand write your notes or type them

i currently hand write mine but it just takes way to long :mad1:

nerd_2b

HSC
LOL nutcrakcer & nerd_2b you both use the same technique as me
out of curiosity do you guys hand write your notes or type them

i currently hand write mine but it just takes way to long :mad1:

Yeah I hand write mine, definitely. Unless I start falling asleep or if I want to add in additional notes (to not feel dumb) at times, then yes, I type.

It takes time, you don't have to memorise it all just now. Just have a fair idea, that's all. It's all worth it when you face it in class.

Btw you're aiming high..you must be really smart......we use the same technique, so I hope I can achieve as good an ATAR as you (99+) even though I will almost impossiblly won't get a high band 5 in english.

How long have you been using this technique, and how much have you got done these holidays?

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
mRJoJo! We have the same atar aim, haha. Let me guesssss, usyd law? xD

I used to hand write mine, but then I realised that that was taking waaaay too much time and in the end, for me at least, it doesn't make all that much of a difference. So now I type. Typing is cooler! You can use pretty colours and fonts and borders and make your notes interesting :)

Haha, it's good to know that more people work the same way I do ^^

nerd_2b - I definitely don't intend on finishing the full course notes these hols ><" I'll probably just keep working in the holidays like this and try to finish each module before we start it at school. Which is what I'm doing now, we haven't started the Acidic Environment at school yet. (I'm so awful at chem, I need that headstart ><"). What about you?

ninetypercent - it's actually not that hard studying from lots of sets of notes. It's reassuring, in that you know that there's probably not going to be anything that you accidentally miss out on. Makes you feel more confident ^^
But on the downside, your notes tend to get a bit long, at least mine do - each of my chem modules are usually 30ish pages long. And that's with like, tiny font ><".

JIMMMY. Frankenstein IS an easy read. Besides, you're such a fast reader! I remember from like, yr 7&8 when we had to share a book, you were always at the bottom of the page WAY before me (lol yes, I remember strange things from junior school). You'll have Frankenstein finished in no time.

Btw, happy new year, peeps ^^

Last edited:

mRJoJo

Spacebook
HSC
N/A
nerd_2b: yeah don't worry I've only been summarising them not learning them. I'll them when exams come. and no I'm not smart, I just really want to work hard this year and beat my sister's UAI (or in this case ATAR) :)
I've been using this technique since mid year 11, because I'm really careful with my notes and I try to make sure I don't miss out on important info on any syllabus dot points. In terms of what I've done this holidays:
business: summarised 2/5 topics
legal studies: summarised 3/5 topics
read frankenstein
and Im 2 topics ahead in math

a week from when school starts I'm planning on just going out and partying, and not touching my books so I won't burn out =)

how much have you done these holidays?

nutcracker: haha LOL
you guessed right. commerce/law @ usyd:)

nerd_2b

HSC
nerd_2b: yeah don't worry I've only been summarising them not learning them. I'll them when exams come. and no I'm not smart, I just really want to work hard this year and beat my sister's UAI (or in this case ATAR) :)
I've been using this technique since mid year 11, because I'm really careful with my notes and I try to make sure I don't miss out on important info on any syllabus dot points. In terms of what I've done this holidays:
business: summarised 2/5 topics
legal studies: summarised 3/5 topics
read frankenstein
and Im 2 topics ahead in math

a week from when school starts I'm planning on just going out and partying, and not touching my books so I won't burn out =)

how much have you done these holidays?

nutcracker: haha LOL
you guessed right. commerce/law @ usyd:)
nutcracker- I've completed:
2/4 topics for chemistry
1/4 for biology
2/5 for business studies

And im doing my 2nd module for biology
english and 3u maths - haven't even touched it yet....

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Never read Frankenstein lol, I will probably get flamed for this but it's not necessary to read the texts.
Admittedly, it's certainly possible. I admit I didn't actually finish Frankenstein, but Module A was probably my best module. :shy: That being said, I would definitely not recommend it, as there really is no substitute for first hand knowledge of the text. And by first hand knowledge, I don't mean Wikipedia and Sparknotes. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)