Parents reaction to you not making it? (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
The parent trap - National - smh.com.au

My year 12 son thinks the HSC is all about him. It's not, of course. It's all about us, his parents. His final marks will be the proof that our strategies for raising him were right; that allowing him to watch television, play violent computer games and eat junk food have not hampered his ability to become a productive and valued member of society.

If he gets a creditable UAI, we will be able to point out, modestly, to other parents that we got it right; that success is possible without isolating a child from popular culture, or breastfeeding them until they are 10 or letting them consume white sugar.

Astonishingly, other parents believe their child-rearing techniques are better than ours or that their way is the only way.

There are the A-graders, academia's answer to entertainment's stage mums and dads. They are certain the only path to success is the opportunity class-selective high school-top university route and so their offspring spend every spare moment in out-of-school tutoring from year 4. Only when their progeny has graduated with a law-medicine degree can they relax and bask in the reflected glory of their child's achievements.

At the opposite end of the scale are the negligents: parents who can see no value in education and are contemptuous of academic success. "I didn't go to uni and it didn't do me any harm," they tell their kids. As a piece of inspired reverse psychology it is a risky technique, since your children could take you at your word and not even bother going to school. However, some children excel under such conditions, at which time their parents can humbly accept the congratulations of other parents with: "I don't know where she gets her brains from."

Most parents aren't looking much further ahead than university. Not so the social climbers. They are the folk who have mortgaged themselves to the hilt to pay the fees charged by certain private schools. They know that qualifications are no substitute for who you know. Their sacrifices are being made in the hope their children will be mixing with the next generation's James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch.

The most exclusive group, however, are the high-flying parents who have bred equally high-flying issue. These children take a path through school marked by awards, prefects' badges and the school captaincy. If they weren't so charming and charismatic you'd kill them.

With the exception of the high-flyers, none of these approaches guarantees a 99 UAI and so canny parents need to plan the spin: "She topped the state in Ceramics." No need to mention the Maths score.

One way to appear to be a successful parent is to opt out of the HSC altogether. No one knows what constitutes a good mark in the International Baccalaureate so, no matter what the result, you and your child will look sophisticated and clever respectively.

What children fail to understand is that parenting is a competition. The speed at which they cut teeth and walk shows how well they're being raised. The number of goals they score in sport and the weight of achievement certificates they bring home are proofs of concept. Exams are the ultimate demonstration of a parent's skill.

So in these last crucial months of HSC-boy's school career, we are encouraging him to study hard (trying not to arouse suspicion that we care deeply about his scores) and going easy on anything that might distract him from this task. We hope he thinks we're just being caring. If he knew our self esteem was riding on his performance he'd be busy negotiating a car in exchange for a good UAI.

Of course, if he does really badly, it'll be all his fault and have nothing to do with us.

lol parenting is a competition, no wonder asian parents take the hsc so seriously

Last edited:

Sarebs

HSC
"Oh. That's good Sarah. Yeah that's really good for you sweetie."

No matter how they try and say it, they always manage to let their true feelings show through lol.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
My parents don't care if I don't make it. Well - they do care - but I guess they care that I'm happy with my results more than anything. They don't want me to be disappointed with what I get.

My mum said as long as I long as I tried my best, that's all she can expect and she's already proud of the amount of effort that I've put into school and study during year 12.

mR sinister

HSC
90+ happy
80+ They would be just OK about it.
70+ disappointing
and of course the lecture on all the textbooks, and tutoring fees etc.

hairspray

HSC
My parents are professionals at hiding their feelings so dad would pretend not to care and mom would act all sympathetic like go on and on about "i know u tried very hard... i know you did your best", mom's sympathy is pretty much a lecture in itself.
And then behind closed doors, mom and dad would be crying themselves to sleep.

HSC
I've been trying to prepare my parents for the worst. My mum seems a bit disappointed and my dad seems really annoyed, but I think its mostly because of the prestige and the bragging rights than anything else even though he's not usually like that to me- I don't care where I get in personally, I just want to do combined law and be useful to the world in some way. I think I'd get a lecture about how I'm throwing my life away and that I should've listened to him and studied more blah blah blah (he's been insinuating it already which is highly frustrating). But I've tried my best, and even if my results don't reflect it, I think I'd be happy. I'm more worried about everyone else's reactions than my own because they make me feel crapified unneccesarily. But I think I'm a lot luckier than a fair few peeps whose parents would disown them or whatever.

Got2Kno91

HSC
The parent trap - National - smh.com.au

My year 12 son thinks the HSC is all about him. It's not, of course. It's all about us, his parents. His final marks will be the proof that our strategies for raising him were right; that allowing him to watch television, play violent computer games and eat junk food have not hampered his ability to become a productive and valued member of society.

If he gets a creditable UAI, we will be able to point out, modestly, to other parents that we got it right; that success is possible without isolating a child from popular culture, or breastfeeding them until they are 10 or letting them consume white sugar.

Astonishingly, other parents believe their child-rearing techniques are better than ours or that their way is the only way.
^^^^^^^
This article is absolutely revolting. I can't believe there are parents that think their success in raising their child, and their child's VALUE as a person, is measured by their ATAR? WTF. What about morals? Etiquette? Approach to family/friends? I'd consider a usyd PhD business graduate who is a tax-cheating, wealthy greedy businessman who steps over everybody for their own benefit a shit load less sucessful and more harmful to society than someone becoming a hard working electrician/plumber/bricklayer. The latter surely contributes more. Not to mention the shortsightedness in thinking that high ATAR = success in life. LOL.

bored of sc

HSC
^^^^^^^
this article is absolutely revolting. I can't believe there are parents that think their success in raising their child, and their child's value as a person, is measured by their atar? Wtf. What about morals? Etiquette? Approach to family/friends? I'd consider a usyd phd business graduate who is a tax-cheating, wealthy greedy businessman who steps over everybody for their own benefit a shit load less sucessful and more harmful to society than someone becoming a hard working electrician/plumber/bricklayer. The latter surely contributes more. Not to mention the shortsightedness in thinking that high atar = success in life. Lol.
+1

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
^^^^^^^
This article is absolutely revolting. I can't believe there are parents that think their success in raising their child, and their child's VALUE as a person, is measured by their ATAR? WTF. What about morals? Etiquette? Approach to family/friends? I'd consider a usyd PhD business graduate who is a tax-cheating, wealthy greedy businessman who steps over everybody for their own benefit a shit load less sucessful and more harmful to society than someone becoming a hard working electrician/plumber/bricklayer. The latter surely contributes more. Not to mention the shortsightedness in thinking that high ATAR = success in life. LOL.
+1

SMH ARTICLE said:
The most exclusive group, however, are the high-flying parents who have bred equally high-flying issue. These children take a path through school marked by awards, prefects' badges and the school captaincy. If they weren't so charming and charismatic you'd kill them.
i loled here :D

SMH ARTICLE said:
Of course, if he does really badly, it'll be all his fault and have nothing to do with us.
how hypocritical.

seriously as Got2Kno91 success is not measured by ATAR/UAI alone, your child's (and your own) self-accomplishment and self-worth are 3x more important than 'appearing' successful.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
... I guess they care that I'm happy with my results more than anything. They don't want me to be disappointed with what I get.

My mum said as long as I long as I tried my best, that's all she can expect and she's already proud of the amount of effort that I've put into school and study during year 12.
Pretty much this.
My parents just want me to be happy :)

Ragib

HSC
marcquelle, im pretty sure the author was just being ironic with that statement lol!

my parents reaction to me getting IN in probably going to be bad. well, my dad, not my mum. they want me to do med, i want to do adv maths. my dad made me waste a good weeks worth of crucial study time near the HSC by making me apply to like 15 different unis for Med, even though I have adv maths on the top of my UAC preferences. He said just to do it just incase, and now he wants me to go to the interviews as well. Sigh.

Constantly gives me lectures about how maths makes no money and doesnt do anything for anyone else.

Whatever. screw him, right ?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
marcquelle, im pretty sure the author was just being ironic with that statement lol!

my parents reaction to me getting IN in probably going to be bad. well, my dad, not my mum. they want me to do med, i want to do adv maths. my dad made me waste a good weeks worth of crucial study time near the HSC by making me apply to like 15 different unis for Med, even though I have adv maths on the top of my UAC preferences. He said just to do it just incase, and now he wants me to go to the interviews as well. Sigh.

Constantly gives me lectures about how maths makes no money and doesnt do anything for anyone else.

LOL, you should tell him mathematicians are in demand and get heaps of pay from insurance companies etc etc ^^

Rage01

HSC
^^^^^^^
this article is absolutely revolting. I can't believe there are parents that think their success in raising their child, and their child's value as a person, is measured by their atar? Wtf. What about morals? Etiquette? Approach to family/friends? I'd consider a usyd phd business graduate who is a tax-cheating, wealthy greedy businessman who steps over everybody for their own benefit a shit load less sucessful and more harmful to society than someone becoming a hard working electrician/plumber/bricklayer. The latter surely contributes more. Not to mention the shortsightedness in thinking that high atar = success in life. Lol.
+3

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

I was in a very similar position, do what you love or you will just become so bitter at uni that you will stop caring. Your parents can get over it, it's your life.

cassiecocaine

HSC
^^^^^^^
+1. Friendships, love, family, happiness, life experience, wisdom... the ATAR means nothing in the face of what life is really about. I honestly find it hard to believe that parents like that exist, actually.

Mine are laid back, too much at times, to the point that I don't think they care if I succeed or not. But I know they do, they just trust me to apply myself to my school work. And I did try my best, and thats what they should be proud of.

If they're not, my boyfriend's parents will tell me that instead haha :)

boganxcore

HSC
mine were like what the fuck

oh except i got what i needed

but then i was like fuck u im going to live my own live

but i still live at home so its like :S ok
hahahahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)