how fast can you type? how did you learn? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, it was a qwerty keyboard, and i was basically office clerk/secratary/office bitch, and i was still doing webpages and shit back then as well as actively playing guitar. So i was quite fast in terms of typing/using hands for stuff like that.

Threw my shoulder out through rugby in year 11, and that basically stopped any progress in my hands for a good 2-3 years, still get pains in my right shoulder if i over-exert playing guitar for extended periods, so ive slowed down heaps :)

Pace_T

HSC
during the hsc i could type at around 120wmp with 95+% accuracy...
that's because i typed up all my notes and i had to type up a shit load (i sucked at summarising lol)
i learnt by using the same keyboard for over 12 years hhahha. this is like my third computer, yet the keyboad is from the first computer. yay for old black ibm keyboards.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I've had a keyboard for a long time too- not as long as you, but since I was year3 my father bought this "Cirque Wave-keyboard" (split design) from America.. now I'm first year uni~ so that'd be like 10 years?

daydreamkitty

Love me hate me, meh.....
HSC
I've had a keyboard since i was 7 , and yet although i wasnt really allowed on it oh so much my typing speed i think has increased. Last time I checked: 25wpm.
Might be 30 but i am not sure anymore.... and my english need to be corrected sometimes so go figure.

I would if i had the chance to get ( the other keyboard instead of qwerty)... it might be interesting to type with... Heh!

and for another thing i found out using some typing program... oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
probably 60wpm, without looking at the keyboard, you get used to it from chatting, but i did use mavis beacon aswell in years 7-8 or around there.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Back in high school in D&T classes, we'd try and beat the fastest times on Mavis Beacon. By learning the sequences of words, we could achieve speeds of 150+.

But in my normal day to day typing, I average about 110-120 words a minute. Comes from learning the piano since I was 5. Piano keyboard and computer keyboard really aren't that different.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Uhg. Apparently I type fast, but I haven't tested for some time.. if I'm really concentrating my accuracy is up around 98% but generally it's 95% or so due to changing my mind about how to spell things ;p

I think it's about 100-120WPM.

I'm going to get RSI, so it's not that great :p

(lol, and redslert.. I totally agree, except I type while fighting, fishing, or killing bosses in WoW) :D

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
I can go up to 80wpm if I'm typing short words, but otherwise from memory it's probably in the 70s. I think my accuracy would be around the 80% range, again, depending on the complexity of what I'm writing :p

I started all the way back in year 2 with Mavis Beacon...which the school made us keep doing until about year 4 I think, where I got up to roughly 40wpm...and then I took a break from typing programs until year 7, when I discovered I was doing 60-70wpm regularly when our school made us do some stuff with TypeQuik. Due to the time difference I don't think I can really rank TypeQuik against Mavis Beacon (TypeQuik had obviously advanced a lot by the time I encountered it) but it was a lot of fun.

X

xeuyrawp

I actually got into touch-typing (properly - not just typing without looking) a while ago. I remember that I used to be able to type 100WPM +

After playing Counterstike, I think my left hand has been used to being too far left (so I could WASD properly)... Now I'm at 60WPM, according to that program.

robo-andie

HSC
I started to learn to type in yr 4.. so that was when I was.. 9.
We had a computer lesson every Tuesday and Thursday before lunch. We would learn Word processing on Macs and how to type aswell. I had a typing speed of 26wpm back then. Now it is 80wpm with an accuracy of 96%.

HSC
I type at 100 WPM due to spending too much time on those typing games @ primary school. They were the only games we could afford!

P.S. Everyone at school gets me to type up their assignments for them.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I don't actually know how fast I type but I think I can type pretty decently. Because of a congenital structural 'deformity' I have exceptionally short pinkies and can't actually use them much more than the ocassional 'Enter' if my right hand is in the correct position. Therefore the majority of keys requiring stretches (e.g. backspace) I use my fourth finger instead. So it's not strictly touch typing, but hey, it serves me decently so that's ok.

What programs can you use to measure your speed?

LostAuzzie

HSC
I type around 30-40wpm using 2 fingers (and a 3rd when typing in caps)
EDIT: I've learned this basically by being on the computer a lot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)