how fast can you type? how did you learn? (2 Viewers)

U.S.A

Banned
HSC
55 wpm.
just foruming has done the job tbqh

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Your typing speed is
130 wpm!
He is faster than 99.7% of Facebook.
How do you compare? Take the Typing Speed test!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to a small (and not very good) private school in Beecroft for primary and whilst they didn't teach me much, the one thing I did learn was to touch type. The teacher when I was in year 3 (this would've been 1996) made us do all the Q-A-D, W-S-X, etc... and then dictation typing tests). Fast forward to 2009 (some 13 years later) and I type according to various online typing sites between 130wpm and 150wpm (or around 750wpm on 100% accuracy). I think I hold top 10 records on sites like typercj and usually beat most of my friends on the FB app.

In all honesty, the best way to learn is just through regular computer use. For me I spent my (sad but true) high school life multitabbing on MSN Messenger (yep MSN Plus 1.6x by Patchou), forums, IRC and of course, the good ol' command prompt games (PQ, KQ, HQ by Sierra).

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I can touch type at about 100+ WPM, usually with 90-100% accuracy. Basically learnt through heavy MSN use from years 3-10. Whoever says MSN is good for nothing is a dirty liar.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon that there are a fair few bullshit artists on here... saying that they can type so fast, which would almost be inhumane.

I can type about 50-80 words per minute depending on if anything is prepared or what's going on. I usually touch type, but have to check every now and then. I learnt by teaching myself... just hitting keys and trying to type as fast as possible since I didn't want to be really slow.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I reckon that there are a fair few bullshit artists on here... saying that they can type so fast, which would almost be inhumane.

I can type about 50-80 words per minute depending on if anything is prepared or what's going on. I usually touch type, but have to check every now and then. I learnt by teaching myself... just hitting keys and trying to type as fast as possible since I didn't want to be really slow.
I thought this when I read about the guy who said he could type ~150. Was like woahhh, I thought I could type fast. But that must be damn FAST if it's true.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, if his words are the really puny words.

Edit: Just to confirm that the words must be tiny, I kept typing the letter 'a' at a decent rate (not as fast as possible, but to make sure there were not any mistakes) and I got 241. Getting 150 words of any intellectual length (e.g. essay use) would be impractical.

Last edited:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
On a qwerty keyboard I'm fast
On a dvorak keyboard I rip it up
my hands are sweaty due to the heat although I just got 100 WPM on qwerty

Last edited:
HSC
Don't believe me if you don't want to but I'm 80-90+

I've even cracked the good old 100

Not that hard for our computer literate generation

dawdlex3

HSC
Never measured my WPM properly, but I think it's on the fast side.
I type much faster when I'm typing out of my mind rather than typing something from actual text.

pman

Banned
HSC
400wpm cos i'm a genie

on a more serious note, about 130wpm after a touch typing course

Hanakiri

HSC
Net Speed: 97 WPM
(words/minute) Accuracy: 98%
Gross Speed: 98 WPM (words/minute)

BlackDragon

HSC
Two or three words a day with no errors. I usually take supplies into my room before I start typing a sentence on the internet.

MHael

HSC
Despite having access to a computer since I was six, I learnt to touch type a few months ago.

With my modified hunt and peck four fingered method, I could maintain around 35wpm. Now I've taught myself to touch type, I'm at 55-60wpm, but pretty slow on non-letters still. Learnt with Typer Shark Deluxe. I plan on learning Dvorak as well once I can type faster with Qwerty.

Trivia; the truth about qwerty: The Qwerty keyboard layout was selected after what's-his-face who invented the first decent type writer commissioned someone-else to find which letter combinations occurred least often. This was because with his typewriter, if you pressed two letters which were beside each other too quickly their levers would jam. Separating the common letter combinations resulted in far fewer jams, and a better typewriter. It's not to make you type slower (it actually allowed faster typing), or because the company was called Qwerty. Of course now keyboards are no longer mechanical, it's no longer the best layout, but it's too much hassle to change so it's staying.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

If you do it long enough, you can get good at it. Some people cheat those online test sites (i.e. anything in the 500wpm is obviously BS) but the reality is, a lot of us do type in the 150wpm range because we've done it day in day out for so long now.

A more accurate measure IMO is cpm (characters per minute). Some sites like TyperA measure this and I consistently range in the 700-750 range.

Remember typing speed also is dependent on your ability to foresee words... some sites have you type a phrase or a book- at least the words make grammatical sense and you don't waste time re-thinking if you've got the right word. That can make a lot of difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)