how fast can you type? how did you learn? (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

Exactly, people can just do the same typing practice essays over and over and obviously they will get higher WPM everytime. For fun anyway :)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Gross Speed: 92 wpm
Accuracy: 95%
Net Speed: 88 wpm

I do touch type. However, I'm a Dvorak person. I believe it is a far superior keymap. I can still type on QWERTY but I look at the keys and don't type "properly." I do that at about 40-50 wpm.

As for how I learned: just normal usage. When I first made the decision to change over, I printed off letters and stuck them on an old keyboard and used that until I was able to type without looking at the keyboard (only took one week). After that I brought back my normal keyboard and just continued touch typing, increasing my speed as I went. After about a month I was up to about 35 wpm. ~90 wpm is the highest I've ever really been able to do though. However, I think when you're typing what's in your head and not what's on the screen you actually type faster because you don't have that delay in reading and interpreting.

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
My first experience of touch typing was with those programs...forget what they're called. That taught me the basics, i.e. where to place my fingers on which keys, etc.
The games were....umm..fun.
Anyway, I learnt to type quick by chatting.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Highest I got was 52wpm with 93% accuracy, at school using "TypeQuick".

What is a dvorak keyboard look like?

P

pLuvia

Why do you use this kind of keyboard? Wouldn't you just use a normal one, I've never heard of this kind of keyboard

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
pLuvia said:
Why do you use this kind of keyboard? Wouldn't you just use a normal one, I've never heard of this kind of keyboard
It's designed for typing comfort.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
pLuvia said:
From Wikipedia:

Several alternative keyboard layouts, such as Dvorak Simplified Keyboard arrangement (designed by Drs. August Dvorak and William Dealey and patented in 1936), have been designed to increase a typist's speed and comfort, largely by moving the most common letters to the home row and maximizing hand alternation.

For me it's not so much a speed thing (even though I'm twice as fast, I could probably get up to similar speed on qwerty if I tried) but just the comfort. I find it much easier to type for hours on end without any discomfort at all. And I do this often. lol.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
DumSum said:
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/layout.html

You can buy special keyboards or just do what I do and set it in Windows while still using a normal keyboard.
i remember about Dvorak from my sdd textbook to be much more effecient than Qwerty. If I have the time i'd definitely give it a go!

I'm just wondering, how can I make windows to interpret my qwerty into a dvorak?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
AntiHyper said:
i remember about Dvorak from my sdd textbook to be much more effecient than Qwerty. If I have the time i'd definitely give it a go!

I'm just wondering, how can I make windows to interpret my qwerty into a dvorak?
Control Panel => Regional and Language Options => Keyboards and Languages (or it could be something like Input Methods, I forget for XP) => Settings => Add => "United States-Dvorak"

Then in some other settings (Advanced?) you can set it so you can change between them, I think by default it's Ctrl+Shift.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
okay from the 3rd step (in winXP) in the "Regional and Languages Options">Languages>Details
the rest is the same, and the setting to change/switch is in "Key Settings..."

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Did you know that Qwerty keyboards were initally made so that typewriters don't get jammed?They're supposed to slow you down by the awkward placement of the keys.

Kudos to whoever can use dvorak; that's pretty awsome.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i initially learnt thru mavis beacon too when i first learnt to type. it got kinda boring, so i just practised and practised, and now my typing speed is about 70 words per minute. that's about 95% accurate.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
85 words per minute/458 characters per minute, 95%+ accuracy, I attribute a large portion of my typing ability to old school adventure and RPG games when I was a kid, Zork, Police Quest, etc. :)
LOL, Police Quest is awesome! Um i learnt to type real fast , by doing a lot school assingments- sigh yes..:(

My speed is about 50 something only cause my brain doesnt think that fast. if i copy something is will be about 60 easy.
best way to learnt by using the correct technique is using typing software, there are some free ones out there. just basically copying passages as fast as you can and 98% accuracy.

P

pLuvia

YBK said:
Did you know that Qwerty keyboards were initally made so that typewriters don't get jammed?They're supposed to slow you down by the awkward placement of the keys.

Kudos to whoever can use dvorak; that's pretty awsome.
Yeh I've heard that one, it's kind of funny :p

ediisjoz

HSC
i learnt when i was in year 6, for school. i touch type pretty fast with mostly no errors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)