how fast can you type? how did you learn? (1 Viewer)

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
50 words per minute with 90% accuracy. I learnt to type with Mavis Becon 4 lol.

I learnt to touch type in year 4. Now I dont even keep my fingers in the positions they tell you to keep them. They just drift over the keys and know where they are.

N.U.G.

HSC
I'm in the habit of looking at the keyboard instead of the screen so my speed and accuracy are low :(

I think I might by Mavis Beacon or TypeQuik

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ogmzergrush said:
85 words per minute/458 characters per minute, 95%+ accuracy, I attribute a large portion of my typing ability to old school adventure and RPG games when I was a kid, Zork, Police Quest, etc. :)
ROFL those were the days! Kings Quest, Police Quest, and all those other typing-adventures... but then I have to admit that when Sierra started using that point and click system with the eyes/movement/touch/item/etc... thing it was alot easier. But I hated the final rendition in games like Kings Quest 8 (or was it 7? *shrugs*) where there was that magic wand and it flashed over things you could touch... that just made things too easy.

Back on topic, I type at around 130-145wpm with 99-100% accuracy depending on what I'm typing of course; when doing things like typera where the sentences are random and there's a good mix of capitals, symbols, punctuation, etc.. I type around 680-700cpm (characters per minute) with around a 95% accuracy. If there are any good typing programs on the net/sites on the net I'd like to have a look.

As for how I learnt? It was compulsory back in year3 at my old school.

P

pLuvia

Why would it be compulsory to practise to type fast? I don't think it's necessary

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
pLuvia said:
Yeh I've heard that one, it's kind of funny :p
Yep that's the truth. I tried my uncle's typewriter (around 5 years old- it was a Canon) and I touchtyped at my normal speed and the head spoiled with the ribbon ripping off!- but that could've been because I type too heavily.

NB. In the old days the keyboards had much stiffer keys and it was these were prone to jamming.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
YBK said:
Did you know that Qwerty keyboards were initally made so that typewriters don't get jammed?They're supposed to slow you down by the awkward placement of the keys.
Really? Someone told me once aaaaaagggeeess ago, that Qwerty keyboards are so odd because the company that initially introduced the Qwerty keyboards to the market were called "Qwerty", and so in advertisements, when they were like "hey, look how fast you can type using a Qwerty keyboard! Let me give you an example! Let's type... Qwerty!" and then they'd type it super fast (obviously) and etc.
I think it was my teacher who told me that? Maybe not... never did like that teacher anyway, so shall pretend it was him... :D

N.U.G.

HSC
seremify007 said:
ROFL those were the days! Kings Quest, Police Quest, and all those other typing-adventures... but then I have to admit that when Sierra started using that point and click system with the eyes/movement/touch/item/etc... thing it was alot easier. But I hated the final rendition in games like Kings Quest 8 (or was it 7? *shrugs*) where there was that magic wand and it flashed over things you could touch... that just made things too easy.
don't forget Leisure Suit Larry! :D

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
~80 WPM, Learnt just by typing a lot.

I found those typing programs to be an utter waste of time.

Last edited:

co6

Knight
HSC
80-82WPM (didn't bother checking which one was my 'net' typing speed. what is that anyway?)
3 errors, 95% accuracy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Net is words you typed correctly, gross is all words including mistakes.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
~80 WPM, Learnt just by typing a lot.

I found those typing programs to be an utter waste of time.
Agreed, and about the same. People used to play with the typing programs at school when we were in one of the computer labs for Physics or whatnot, and it really wasn't helpful at all. Simply typing on the net like this is good practice!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
N.U.G. said:
don't forget Leisure Suit Larry! :D
In my younger days I didn't really understand that game =P Until I saw the advertisements for it on the back of a bus.

Sigh.

Back on topic, I think the only way to learn to type fast is just continuous practice. I think playing the piano helped me a little bit as well.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Hmmm I've never counted how many words I can type so....

starting from this point here ::::::

I will be typing for exactly 1 minute without looking at the keyboard and then I will try it again whilst looking at the keyboard to see how many words I can type becasue Ive never tried it before how many words is it now I dont know well there you go and end right about now and this point in one.

count: 59 words yay...still a bit slower than I expected but I went back and corrected typos while I was typing also so yeah haha

Now looking at the keyboard :::::

so Im supposed to be making a speech for my sisters 21st but I have no idea what to say because we have absolutly nothning in common and Im totally lost and monkies like bananas I dont event know what to type Im just killing time and-

count: 44 words (thats shocking but Im not used to looking at the keyboard)

I learnt just by typing all the time

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
flipsyde said:
Hmmm I've never counted how many words I can type so....

starting from this point here ::::::

I will be typing for exactly 1 minute without looking at the keyboard and then I will try it again whilst looking at the keyboard to see how many words I can type becasue Ive never tried it before how many words is it now I dont know well there you go and end right about now and this point in one.

count: 59 words yay...still a bit slower than I expected but I went back and corrected typos while I was typing also so yeah haha

Now looking at the keyboard :::::

so Im supposed to be making a speech for my sisters 21st but I have no idea what to say because we have absolutly nothning in common and Im totally lost and monkies like bananas I dont event know what to type Im just killing time and-

count: 44 words (thats shocking but Im not used to looking at the keyboard)

I learnt just by typing all the time
LOL, that's a pretty creative way of finding out... it'd be much easier to just simply google "typing test" :p

YBK

HSC
bananasmoothy said:
Really? Someone told me once aaaaaagggeeess ago, that Qwerty keyboards are so odd because the company that initially introduced the Qwerty keyboards to the market were called "Qwerty", and so in advertisements, when they were like "hey, look how fast you can type using a Qwerty keyboard! Let me give you an example! Let's type... Qwerty!" and then they'd type it super fast (obviously) and etc.
I think it was my teacher who told me that? Maybe not... never did like that teacher anyway, so shall pretend it was him... :D
LOL! Yup!!!! That's pretty funny!!!
qwerty qwerty (woah, it feels cool to type qwerty) :D :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In my prime i was doing ~110-120 while working in the solicitors office, nowdays ive slowed down to about 30-40 ( i think i havent tested since then )

YBK

HSC
AsyLum said:
In my prime i was doing ~110-120 while working in the solicitors office, nowdays ive slowed down to about 30-40 ( i think i havent tested since then )
woah... how can u slow down from 110 - 120 wpm to 30 - 40!!! :O

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
AsyLum said:
Was that 120 on a qwerty keyboard? I can't keep that up for more than like thirty seconds before I start bashing random keys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)