What kind of marks do I need for 96+ with my subjects? (1 Viewer)

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Hello all :)
here are my prelim subjects:
English Ext 1
Eng Adv
Maths 2 unit
Business
SOR II
Modern
Ancient

and here are my planned hsc subjects:
English Ext 2
Modern
Ancient
Ext Hist
Business
SOR II
(im obviously a humanities person, i hate maths with a passion )

So what kind of marks should I be aiming for to get an ATAR of 96.10 ?

Thank you!
(And also would I be better off not doing Ext Hist in Year 12 and going in with a nice 12 units, or just go with 13?) My school makes us do 12 no matter what.

enoilgam

HSC
I'd say you would need low 90's in 10 of your units to have a good chance of 96.1.

D94

HSC
N/A
Around 90. You could pull it off with high 80's in your Extension subjects, and even a high 80 in English Advanced (if it will count).

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Keep histX and work on 11 units.
Only 10 are going to count anyways so theres no point doing an extra 30%
Choose a 2unit subject you dont like, preferably Business of Sor2 and just dont study for it

viraj30

HSC
sorry mate cant get 96+ with those subjects...pick something like 4unit!

SanjoyM

HSC
sorry mate cant get 96+ with those subjects...pick something like 4unit!
Studying 4 unit maths does not necessarily equate to a high ATAR! Many people have attained an ATAR of 99.95 with 'low-scaling' subjects! Also, Extension 2 English (4unit English) scales quite well..

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Studying 4 unit maths does not necessarily equate to a high ATAR! Many people have attained an ATAR of 99.95 with 'low-scaling' subjects! Also, Extension 2 English (4unit English) scales quite well..
What...? I think "many people" is a gross overstatement. Also, 4U English SCALES WORSE than English Advanced (for the same aligned marks).

@OP: Using an ATAR Calculator, it looks like you'll need E4s/Band 6s for all of your subjects to have any hope of getting 96+.

Last edited:

SanjoyM

HSC
What...? I think "many people" is a gross overstatement.

@OP: Using an ATAR Calculator, it looks like you'll need E4s/Band 6s for all of your subjects to have any hope of getting 96+.
LOL! I meant, I know some people who have* typo ^

bleakarcher

HSC
Guys can you do mine cbb making a thread?
In year 12 im pretty sure my subjects will be:
advanced english
maths extension II
physics
chemistry
What marks do I need for a 96?

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL! I meant, I know some people who have* typo ^
Still...depends on what you define as "low scaling". The vast majority of 99.95ers do "high scaling" subjects.

Guys can you do mine cbb making a thread?
In year 12 im pretty sure my subjects will be:
advanced english
maths extension II
physics
chemistry
What marks do I need for a 96?
The good ol' Asian 5.

87 in all your subjects (exc. 4U), and 80 in 4U will get you 96+.

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
^ Alright thanks, I don't do economics though lol. So you cant really say I do the asian five.

HSC
High 80's for maths extension and English advanced, and low 90's for chemistry and physics (possibly even high 80's). 89 scaled to 94 last year (jogging my memory).

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
^ Alright thanks, I don't do economics though lol. So you cant really say I do the asian five.
The Asian 5 is what you're doing. Replacing Chem with Eco makes it slightly less Asian (As Chem scales better than both Phys and Eco, aligns better than Eco, and is more popular among selective school kids than Eco)

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Fuck of. You don't know shit. Go look at this ATAR calculator.http://www.hscatarcalculator.com.au/. Dont exagerrate,The only people who attain ATARs of 99.95 with humanities subjects, get top 5 state rankings in all of them. The vast majority of people who gain ATARs of 99.95 do high scaling subjects.I think your going to learn this the hard way.

Pfortune35

HSC
mate what your doing is the asian 5, people who put ecos in there are doing it wrong. casing point do u need ecos for medicine?

seriously 85s in all your subs should be enough for 96 but you should aim as high as possible. band 6's in maths(3 and 4) will really take you most of the way because they scale the best out of your subjects.

to OP:

dont worry about scaling (ignore the contradiction), your subs scale fine, but go for b6/e4 in all to be on the safe side.
and as far as dropping subs goes, do as much as you can handle, no more no less

bleakarcher

HSC
mate what your doing is the asian 5, people who put ecos in there are doing it wrong. casing point do u need ecos for medicine?

seriously 85s in all your subs should be enough for 96 but you should aim as high as possible. band 6's in maths(3 and 4) will really take you most of the way because they scale the best out of your subjects.

to OP:

dont worry about scaling (ignore the contradiction), your subs scale fine, but go for b6/e4 in all to be on the safe side.
and as far as dropping subs goes, do as much as you can handle, no more no less
Mate will be taking four subjects lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)