What kind of marks do I need for 96+ with my subjects? (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Mate, I will be taking four subjects lol.
Mathematics Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 2
English (Advanced)
Physics
Chemistry

5 subjects.

mate what you're doing is the asian 5, people who put ecos in there are doing it wrong. casing point do u need ecos for medicine?
For many unis, Med doesn't have any prerequisite subjects.

Fuck off. You don't know shit. Go look at this ATAR calculator.http://www.hscatarcalculator.com.au/. Dont exaggerate, the only people who attain ATARs of 99.95 with humanities subjects get top 5 state rankings in all of them. The vast majority of people who gain ATARs of 99.95 do high scaling subjects. I think you're going to learn this the hard way.
A bit direct, but sums up the argument nicely.

Last edited:

Pfortune35

HSC
dont neglect 3u, you probs havent had a 3u unit test this year, but when u do u will know

Examine

same
HSC
Studying 4 unit maths does not necessarily equate to a high ATAR! Many people have attained an ATAR of 99.95 with 'low-scaling' subjects! Also, Extension 2 English (4unit English) scales quite well..
I have yet to hear about 1 person who got 99.95 without a language extension, 4u maths or the Sciences.

Name 5 from any year group.

Last edited:

SanjoyM

HSC
Fuck of. You don't know shit. Go look at this ATAR calculator.http://www.hscatarcalculator.com.au/. Dont exagerrate,The only people who attain ATARs of 99.95 with humanities subjects, get top 5 state rankings in all of them. The vast majority of people who gain ATARs of 99.95 do high scaling subjects.I think your going to learn this the hard way.
Excuse me!! What do you mean 'the hard way' - For your kind information, my subjects scale quite well.. Especially, chemistry and 4U English etc...
Next time, before writing or insulting someone publicly, please think TWICE!!

Thank You! Off BOS

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, most top ATARs (99.8+) are generally people who do MX2 with sciences or economics with a few humanities.

Not doing these subjects pretty much require 98+ in all subjects which is quite ridiculous.

Pfortune35

HSC
heaps of people do 99+ with humanties combos including history,ecos,english (and extensions)

Examine

same
HSC
heaps of people do 99+ with humanties combos including history,ecos,english (and extensions)
And for every 1 person who gets 99+ in humanities how many people are there doing Science. For example, look at last years ATARS, most people who got 99+ on this site did mx2 or/and science. On the top of my head I can only think of Determine getting 99.7 being a 99+ ATAR without extensions/science/language.

Pfortune35

HSC
i wont dispute that but that doesnt mean a person who does wel in humanities cant get 99+ or in this case 96+,
scaling is there so u can get any atar with any combo of subjects

Last edited:

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
For year 12, your planned HSC subjects are like...14 units...

I did 13 units for the majority of year 12, but then I realised how stupid it is...why do so many units, when only your best 10 count? I don't understand why your school makes you do 12.

I think you should do 12 units at the most (this means dropping a 2u subject like Business). But 12 units with History Extension is still alot! You should, imo, drop History Extension and have 11 units...screw your school, it's your HSC!

Anyways, you should aim to get a band 6 in all your subjects (If you had 12-14 units, this would be much more difficult). By doing this, you *should* get around the 96 mark. Look through the ATAR calcs, they are quite useful.

All the best!

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
And for every 1 person who gets 99+ in humanities how many people are there doing Science. For example, look at last years ATARS, most people who got 99+ on this site did mx2 or/and science. On the top of my head I can only think of Determine getting 99.7 being a 99+ ATAR without extensions/science/language.
I think the humanities are scaling much better in recent years. I got over 99 with Ancient (98/100) , Legal and SOR I (49/50), but I did have Extension I English and Extension I Maths.

I know this is a huge generalisation, but I feel that there are more academically gifted students choosing the harder sciences and 4u maths than there are in the humanities. So perhaps that's another reason why so many of the higher ATARs come from the Science/Math combination. But when you think about it, with Law at USyd/UNSW at around 99.70, and students who do 4u maths, physics, chemistry etc. to the get the high ATAR, they might struggle with studying Law, which is a highly humanitarian based subject.

But I think hard work in either science or humanities can get you a high ATAR, proof of that is me :p

enoilgam

HSC
I think the humanities are scaling much better in recent years. I got over 99 with Ancient (98/100) , Legal and SOR I (49/50), but I did have Extension I English and Extension I Maths.

I know this is a huge generalisation, but I feel that there are more academically gifted students choosing the harder sciences and 4u maths than there are in the humanities. So perhaps that's another reason why so many of the higher ATARs come from the Science/Math combination. But when you think about it, with Law at USyd/UNSW at around 99.70, and students who do 4u maths, physics, chemistry etc. to the get the high ATAR, they might struggle with studying Law, which is a highly humanitarian based subject.

But I think hard work in either science or humanities can get you a high ATAR, proof of that is me :p
So true.

Examine

same
HSC

I'm not saying that a person who does humanities can't get 99+, because it is possible and has been done quite a few times, though I doubt there are "heaps" of people who get 99+ with humanities as Pfortune stated.

Btw I'm doing all humanities plus ext.1 maths and eng.

Last edited:

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Yeah its pretty hard for a humanities person to attain higher scores. You basically have to get multiple state ranks to get 99.95
The only person I can think of who got a perfect 100 was daniel swain. But he was exceptionally gifted and basically state ranked in every subject he did including a first in modern.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Excuse me!! What do you mean 'the hard way' - For your kind information, my subjects scale quite well.. Especially, chemistry and 4U English etc...
Next time, before writing or insulting someone publicly, please think TWICE!!

Thank You! Off BOS
I think you know exactly what I mean by the "hard way". No they dont scale that well, You would know if you went and used an ATAR calculator. Unfortunately sometimes the only way to get through to people like you is to use rudimentry english which may/or may not include profanities. Im going to do you a big favour right now and save you the dissapointment, your not going to get 99.95 with those subjects, anyone who tells you so is getting your hopes up and is full of shit.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Fuck me, you've still got 3 terms before you even start the HSC. Surely it's too early to be worrying about stuff like this.

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
hey guys :)
thanks for all the help!
so i would pretty much need 90 + in all my subs? ( i think thats achievable because im so in love with all of them haha and pretty passionate!)
and just to clarify i need 96.10 not 99.95 i think a few people were thinking i was aiming for that.. haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)