Choose between Chemistry, Physics and Economics. (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
Just for general discussion, which one will be better to do for HSC?

Schoey93

HSC
Just for general discussion, which one will be better to do for HSC?
You only do 11 units according to your signature. Did you do accelerated study? I would choose physics. The core chemistry module titles do not grab my attention like the biology, physics and senior science module titles do. I've looked at chemistry textbooks too and the content appears dull. Physics sounds interesting and not overly difficult (difficult, but doable). Economics would probably put me to sleep.

muzeikchun852

HSC
You only do 11 units according to your signature. Did you do accelerated study? I would choose physics. The core chemistry module titles do not grab my attention like the biology, physics and senior science module titles do. I've looked at chemistry textbooks too and the content appears dull. Physics sounds interesting and not overly difficult (difficult, but doable). Economics would probably put me to sleep.
yeah im planning to do 11 units. and i dont do accelerated study.

twistedrebel

HSC
economics: do it only if you are really love finance section (and you read it for interest). Year 12 has alot alot more stats involved and remembering them can be a bitch.

Physics: has a interesting course, you should be fine with the maths part of it. If you really read it, it can be a interesting read.

In the end choose what you like better, i do economics and physics and can give you advice on it. For chem, ask another Boser who does chemistry.

Schoey93

HSC
learn2read
I did read it. My original comment was meant to be read as 'you only do 11 units in year 11'. I didn't write 'year 11' because I wrote 'do' which is a present tense word so I could not have meant 'you will do 11 units' (as I did not write 'will'). I could say the same thing (learn to read) to you.

NewiJapper

HSC
Why are there so many Yr11's posting in the HSC thread. Go to your own thread, that's why it's there.

bubbrubb

HSC
Chemistry wins

I dropped physics when we started electricity because it just sucked way too much ass

Economics looks alright :S

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Opinions in this thread are subjective.

I did all 3 in year 11 and I prefered Physics.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I still struggle to believe how you can dish out advice on HSC course content considering you've never done them before, and considering you haven't even finished the Prelim course yet. Oh, and by the way, you never hear Year 11 kids referring to their year's worth of work as HSC. It's called Prelim. That's why the forums are called "General Discussion of the 2010 HSC" for Year 12, and "General Discussion of the Preliminary HSC". Not HSC. HSC is what some kids call the Prelim HSC to sound smarter and better, and to create a sense of superiority amongst their friends. :rolleyes:
I did read it. My original comment was meant to be read as 'you only do 11 units in year 11'. I didn't write 'year 11' because I wrote 'do' which is a present tense word so I could not have meant 'you will do 11 units' (as I did not write 'will'). I could say the same thing (learn to read) to you.
Don't argue semantics. It really does not make you look smart. At all.

--------------------

Anyways, I've taken this thread way off topic. Now back on topic. My opinions:
- Physics in Prelim was awesome. Physics in HSC sucked. Concepts got significantly harder, and I barely understood half of them.
- Chemistry in Prelim sucked. Chemistry in HSC was awesome. HSC Chemistry is really enjoyable.
- I'll leave Economics for someone who has actually done HSC Economics (that means someone who has actually done, or started HSC Economics at school, not someone who has had a 30 second flick through a textbook in Economics then decided they didn't like it).

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Opinions in this thread are subjective.
Okay then, I'll keep rambling about why eco is so good :D
Well Prelim eco is, admittedly, kind of boring - you have to go through all the basic demand and supply stuff which is all really just common sense, - but come HSC, you get into the really good stuff :D You begin to look at what's going on in the real world, what that means for Australia, etc. All the links start to form and...actually understanding what the hell the guy in the suit is talking about on the finance section of the news is the best feeling ever :D.

Kamal15

HSC
Anyways, I've taken this thread way off topic. Now back on topic. My opinions:
- Physics in Prelim was awesome. Physics in HSC sucked. Concepts got significantly harder, and I barely understood half of them.
- Chemistry in Prelim sucked. Chemistry in HSC was awesome. HSC Chemistry is really enjoyable.
- I'll leave Economics for someone who has actually done HSC Economics (that means someone who has actually done, or started HSC Economics at school, not someone who has had a 30 second flick through a textbook in Economics then decided they didn't like it).
I agree with Aerath here. HSC Chemistry is really fun, and as long as you know what to do (ie. plenty of syllabus based notes and past papers) and very easy to get really awesome marks. HSC Economics is perhaps a bit too subjective to be assured of marks. What I mean is that in my school one of my best friends had a raw internal mark of approximately 97, yet in overrall HSC marks his mark was 95 due to a poor hsc exam mark. But of course not having done the course myself I wouldn't know to be precise. Physics is particularly good from what I've heard from others lol (once again my opinion may be flawed)

Moral of the story: CHEMISTRY ROCKS (any link between what I have written here and the marks in my sig is purely concidence and is not meant to swerve or influence anyone deceased or living)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I would say... pick Chemistry, although Physics is very very close.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Never did Physics, never liked it past Space type stuff, never will understand it, with it's strange plug in formulas crap. That said I'm not bad at maths, but irrelevant.

Between Chem and Eco:

Chem is a boring subject that's relatively straight forward, however some bits get interesting, Most of it is fairly simple and easy. Contennt is Chem is not meant to be hard, and as such simply learning it once is good enough. The content doesnt change, it's mainly memorizing lots of stuff.

Economics is heavier, IMO, but I love it, although some scientifically based people may find the concepts hard to grasp (personal experience), especially since a textbook doesn't give you all the answers. Economics is consistently changing, so you need to be really really up to date with it, although the content can be a bit dry. Lots of statistics and terms to remember, once you understand them the rest is fairly easy. Eco is really all about increasing your overall knowledge and forgetting older stuff as time goes on. Really in Eco you only really need to know what's happened in the past 5 years and you'll be fine.

NewiJapper

HSC
Schoey93 said:
You sound jaded. Year 11 is a part of the HSC. You have to do Year 11 to do Year 12
You sound much more jaded. Year 11 is preliminary. Year 11 doesn't account for anything towards the HSC, therefore I can quite confidently say no it doesn't. So while your in year 11, post queries of year 11 in prelim thread. It REALLY isn't that hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)