Choose between Chemistry, Physics and Economics. (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
dude this for 2010ers, 11ers have their forum located here: General Discussion on the Preliminary HSC - Bored of Studies

If you are going to post shit on subjects while only barely done 2 weeks of the Preml course gfto.
Please change your attitude. Year 12 students are not superior to Year 11 students. Some Year 11 students can give advice based on their experience of each subject. Yes, they may have only done two weeks of the course in school, but they may also have received advice from brothers/sisters/cousins who have done physics, chemistry and/or economics. Some people also self-accelerate.

Don't be so quick to judge.
I still struggle to believe how you can dish out advice on HSC course content considering you've never done them before, and considering you haven't even finished the Prelim course yet. Oh, and by the way, you never hear Year 11 kids referring to their year's worth of work as HSC. It's called Prelim. That's why the forums are called "General Discussion of the 2010 HSC" for Year 12, and "General Discussion of the Preliminary HSC". Not HSC. HSC is what some kids call the Prelim HSC to sound smarter and better, and to create a sense of superiority amongst their friends. :rolleyes:

Don't argue semantics. It really does not make you look smart. At all.
1) I didn't give advice on HSC course content in the quote. I gave my personal opinion based on my feelings for certain subjects. My opinion =/= advice on course content.
2) I agree, arguing semantics does not make one appear smart. Please don't assume that was the point of the post. I was merely annoyed that someone told me to learn to read, so naturally I retaliated.
You only do 11 units according to your signature. Did you do accelerated study? I would choose physics. The core chemistry module titles do not grab my attention like the biology, physics and senior science module titles do. I've looked at chemistry textbooks too and the content appears dull. Physics sounds interesting and not overly difficult (difficult, but doable). Economics would probably put me to sleep.
Note that this is not definitive advice. They are my opinions.

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
You sound jaded. Year 11 is a part of the HSC. You have to do Year 11 to do Year 12.
Then what's the Prelims forums for? You don't even know what you're talking about in at least half your posts regarding the HSC. -.-"

dude this for 2010ers, 11ers have their forum located here: General Discussion on the Preliminary HSC - Bored of Studies

If you are going to post shit on subjects while only barely done 2 weeks of the Preml course gfto.
+1.

Just for general discussion, which one will be better to do for HSC?
Really, do the one you enjoy the most. Look at the syllabus and decide for yourself. They all scale similarly.

Please change your attitude. Year 12 students are not superior to Year 11 students. Year 11 students can give advice based on their experience of each subject. Yes, they may have only done two weeks of the course in school, but they may also have received advice from brothers/sister/cousins who have done physics, chemistry and/or economics. Some people also self-accelerate.

Don't be so quick to judge.

1) I didn't give advice on HSC course content in the quote. I gave my personal opinion based on my feelings for certain subjects. My opinion =/= advice on course content.
Yes but only about Prelim issues. You cannot deny that Year 12 students have had more experience than Year 11 students, just as I cannot deny that Uni students have had more experience than Year 12 students.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with Aerath here. HSC Chemistry is really fun, and as long as you know what to do (ie. plenty of syllabus based notes and past papers) and very easy to get really awesome marks. HSC Economics is perhaps a bit too subjective to be assured of marks. What I mean is that in my school one of my best friends had a raw internal mark of approximately 97, yet in overrall HSC marks his mark was 95 due to a poor hsc exam mark. But of course not having done the course myself I wouldn't know to be precise. Physics is particularly good from what I've heard from others lol (once again my opinion may be flawed)

Moral of the story: CHEMISTRY ROCKS (any link between what I have written here and the marks in my sig is purely concidence and is not meant to swerve or influence anyone deceased or living)
boohoo, big difference.

Schoey93

HSC
Then what's the Prelims forums for? You don't even know what you're talking about in at least half your posts regarding the HSC. -.-"

+1.

Really, do the one you enjoy the most. Look at the syllabus and decide for yourself. They all scale similarly.

Yes but only about Prelim issues. You cannot deny that Year 12 students have had more experience than Year 11 students, just as I cannot deny that Uni students have had more experience than Year 12 students.
1) I have received positive reputation points for posts I have made about the HSC.
2) Not every single Year 12 student has had more experience than every single Year 11 student. Life doesn't work like that. Are you defining 'experience' as 'time spent studying'?
Answers said:
experience n. The apprehension of an object, thought, or emotion through the senses or mind: a child's first experience of snow.
Some Year 11 students are more qualified to speak about certain issues than other students in Year 12. E.g. A Year 11 who has being dancing since she was four is normally more qualified to give advice about Dance than a Year 12 student who started dancing at the age of 14. Also, sixteen-year-old Terry Tao would have been more qualified to give mathematics tutoring than many Year 12 students of that time.

Such cases aren't common, but it's ignorant to believe that 'every Year 12 student is smarter than every Year 11 student' and 'no Year 11 student learns ahead' etc.

Anyway, I never gave advice. I just gave my opinion. I just wanted to explain how it's unfair of Year 12 students to be so dismissive of Year 11 kids. Remarks like 'shut the fuck up' (saying 'stfu' is not more polite), get the fuck off, go away, etc. are unnecessary and plain rude.

ilikebeeef

HSC
1) I have received positive reputation points for posts I have made about the HSC.
So what? Lol. Some shit trolls have been repped before, I can assure you. I am not saying you're a troll btw.

EDIT: And I notice that you have red rep... what can that mean? ;)

2) Not every single Year 12 student has had more experience than every single Year 11 student. Life doesn't work like that. Are you defining 'experience' as 'time spent studying'?

Some Year 11 students are more qualified to speak about certain issues than other students in Year 12. E.g. A Year 11 who has being dancing since she was four is normally more qualified to give advice about Dance than a Year 12 student who started dancing at the age of 14. Also, sixteen-year-old Terry Tao would have been more qualified to give mathematics tutoring than many Year 12 students of that time.
I was speaking generally. Time leads to experience.

Such cases aren't common, but it's ignorant to believe that 'every Year 12 student is smarter than every Year 11 student' and 'no Year 11 student learns ahead' etc.
I don't believe that every Year 12 is smarter than every Year 11 student. However generally speaking, Year 12s have had more experience. You are wrong on assuming that I assume that no Year 11 student learns ahead. I myself learnt/learn ahead.

Anyway, I never gave advice. I just gave my opinion. I just wanted to explain how it's unfair of Year 12 students to be so dismissive of Year 11 kids. Remarks like 'shut the fuck up' (saying 'stfu' is not more polite), get the fuck off, go away, etc. are unnecessary and plain rude.
I shall stop sugar-coating myself now in my conversation with you, and bluntly say that your "advice" can get pretty annoying sometimes. No offence.

And yes you have given advice before, at least in a subtle manner as you give your opinion. You should know that even your mere opinion can affect people's mindsets and hence their decisions. If I was a younger student asking for advice, I would only want people who really know what they're talking about, to answer my queries.

Also, you are in Year 11. That is a big factor, whether you like it or not, on how 'Year 12s and above' people will judge you based on your posts. If you're trying to sound like a Year 12 (or like you have the knowledge of one) but you don't, you sound pretentious. Likewise if I try to sound like a uni student, I will sound pretentious, you must agree with that.

Your reputation (not in terms of the points or boxes btw, I am talking about 'in general') can be raised if you made your posts more consistent in facts. Because if you talk half-sort-of bullshit, people can't exactly trust you on your posts for long.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I believe it's unfair that people generalise by saying that Year 11 students don't know anything. However, despite the fact that some Year 11 students -may- be more qualified to speak about certain issues, particularly those that have accelerated, you are not. You have barely encountered the HSC courses for Chemistry, Physics and Biology, only a 30 second flick through a textbook in a Dymocks store, per se. You pass yourself off as a Business Studies/Economics expert in this thread despite never having done Economics or Business Studies at the HSC or the Preliminary level.

So yes, I agree with you, it is ignorant to believe that ever Year 12 student is smarter than every Year 11 student, and that no Year 11 kid is qualified to speak - from your posts, and from your 'experiences', it is clear to see what you are not.

Oh btw, none of us know who the fuck Terry Tao is - so that's a moot point. I'm sure Terry Tao would appreciate you bring his/her name up on a forum in front of strangers that have no idea who the hell he/she is. Noone's disputing the fact that Year 11s don't know their way around the HSC syllabus. People are disputing whether you know your way around the syllabus.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
You have also received a lot of neg rep over posts you have made about the HSC. Especially about scaling and aligning, as I'm sure you don't need to be reminded.

2) Not every single Year 12 student has had more experience than every single Year 11 student. Life doesn't work like that.
That's true, but generally yr12 students are more experienced than yr11s. Especially when it come to the HSC course.

Some Year 11 students are more qualified to speak about certain issues than other students in Year 12. E.g. A Year 11 who has being dancing since she was four is normally more qualified to give advice about Dance than a Year 12 student who started dancing at the age of 14.
That's untrue. Assuming you mean Dance, the subject, I've been dancing since I was four and I would never, ever presume I knew enough about the subject to give advice to a HSC student. Unless you've done the course, you just wouldn't know enough about the syllabus and what's expected, not to mention the theory which could be a completely different matter.

Yes, but opinion is often mistaken for advice, depending on how it is worded. And although the idea of telling you to stfu until you know what you're talking about is extremely tempting, I'll stick with saying you seem to be going back the same way as you were last year, and look where that got you.

edit: @Aerath, actually some of us would have heard of Terry Tao, seeing as I think he won the maths equivalent of the Nobel prize a couple of years ago :p

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
edit: @Aerath, actually some of us would have heard of Terry Tao, seeing as I think he won the maths equivalent of the Nobel prize a couple of years ago :p
Damn it. My ignorance. :p

Thought Schoey was pulling people out from his life (like his doctor, psychologist, father, teachers, family, friends from school etc etc I could go on forever) whom noone has ever heard of, and quoting them as a reputable source, as he often does. :confused:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
All 3 subjects scale similarly so they would all be "good" for your HSC.

The subject that would benefit you the most would be the subject that you are most interested so do some research and find out which one that is.

On a side note, I <3 HSC Physics. Prelim Physics was way too basic and easy, chem was meh. Economics i didn't do, but it'd most likely have killed my soul.

Klutsov

HSC
From my experiences, HSC chem is phenomenally better that prelim chem; and HSC physics is better than prelim physics.

BUT, i hated prelim chem.

I dont know anything about Eco, so i cant say anything...

Schoey93

HSC
I believe it's unfair that people generalise by saying that Year 11 students don't know anything. However, despite the fact that some Year 11 students -may- be more qualified to speak about certain issues, particularly those that have accelerated, you are not. You have barely encountered the HSC courses for Chemistry, Physics and Biology, only a 30 second flick through a textbook in a Dymocks store, per se. You pass yourself off as a Business Studies/Economics expert in this thread despite never having done Economics or Business Studies at the HSC or the Preliminary level.

So yes, I agree with you, it is ignorant to believe that ever Year 12 student is smarter than every Year 11 student, and that no Year 11 kid is qualified to speak - from your posts, and from your 'experiences', it is clear to see what you are not.

Oh btw, none of us know who the fuck Terry Tao is - so that's a moot point. I'm sure Terry Tao would appreciate you bring his/her name up on a forum in front of strangers that have no idea who the hell he/she is. Noone's disputing the fact that Year 11s don't know their way around the HSC syllabus. People are disputing whether you know your way around the syllabus.
I was not defending myself. I was defending the ability of some Year 11 students to talk about certain issues competently. I do not pass myself off as a business studies/economics expert in that thread, I merely imply that business and economics overlap, generally and in the HSC. This is what I have heard from a teacher of economics and it seems to be common knowledge amongst groups of teachers and students of business/economics. Do B Bus and B Eco students do similar core subjects? (This question is not rhetorical.)

Terry Tao gave lectures across the country recently at leading Australian universities including ANU. These lectures were about prime numbers. He has also been featured in SMH's Good Weekend and there is a wikipedia page about him. It is a fact that at least some people on BoS know who he is because thehy discuss his lectures on prime numbers in the mathematics extracurricular topics forum.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

I'm quite surprised that you don't know who he is. He would not mind that I mentioned his name because thousands of people know it already.

I do know my way around the syllabus. If the OP would like a syllabus outline for each subject, I can copy them from the MCK subject choices guide.

Last edited:

Schoey93

HSC
You have also received a lot of neg rep over posts you have made about the HSC. Especially about scaling and aligning, as I'm sure you don't need to be reminded.

That's true, but generally yr12 students are more experienced than yr11s. Especially when it come to the HSC course.

That's untrue. Assuming you mean Dance, the subject, I've been dancing since I was four and I would never, ever presume I knew enough about the subject to give advice to a HSC student. Unless you've done the course, you just wouldn't know enough about the syllabus and what's expected, not to mention the theory which could be a completely different matter.

Yes, but opinion is often mistaken for advice, depending on how it is worded. And although the idea of telling you to stfu until you know what you're talking about is extremely tempting, I'll stick with saying you seem to be going back the same way as you were last year, and look where that got you.

The negative reputation points were for personal attacks (e.g. I called Anna 'Asian'). The advice I gave on scaling and aligning was either simplified or not advice. (Perhaps people should reconsider their definition of 'advice'.) Simplifying information often leads to mistakes being made. E.g. 'every HSC subject scales down'. This is simplified advice. It applies to most situations but not all (ie the statement is false when referring to high marks).

Please refrain from attacking me for giving simplified advice or my opinions. Opinions are subjective and simplified advice is only a rough guide.

I meant Dance, the HSC subject, but I was referring to the practical aspects of Dance. An experienced dancer may be able to give advice on technique to an older student. E.g. if a student was having trouble perfecting a pirouette, you may be able to guide them through the steps involved (the movements required) and, as he cannot see himself without a mirror, inform him of when his pirouette is satisfactory.

I am sorry. I am sorry for actively taking part in this charade. I don't purport to give definitive advice. Don't assume that I do. Assuming that every post I make is based on research and is extremely accurate is foolish.

Don't attack me just because I'm not as intelligent or diligent as you.
(That statement is directed at all users.)

Last edited:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
The negative reputation points were for personal attacks (e.g. I called Anna 'Asian'). The advice I gave on scaling and aligning was either simplified or not advice. (Perhaps people should reconsider their definition of 'advice'.) Simplifying information often leads to mistakes being made. E.g. 'every HSC subject scales down'. This is simplified advice. It applies to most situations but not all (ie the statement is false when referring to high marks).

Please refrain from attacking me for giving simplified advice or my opinions. Opinions are subjective and simplified advice is only a rough guide.

I meant Dance, the HSC subject, but I was referring to the practical aspects of Dance. An experienced dancer may be able to give advice on technique to an older student. E.g. if a student was having trouble perfecting a pirouette, you may be able to guide them through the steps involved (the movements required) and, as he cannot see himself without a mirror, inform him of when his pirouette is satisfactory.

I am sorry. I am sorry for actively taking part in this charade. I don't purport to give definitive advice. Don't assume that I do. Assuming that every post I make is based on research and is extremely accurate is foolish.

Don't attack me just because I'm not as intelligent or diligent as you.
(That statement is directed at all users.)
Don't make posts if your advice isnt accurate. @OP, didn't realise you were in Year 11. Skim through HSC textbooks and see if either interests you.

@Schoey: We've been through this before. Your opinions on subjects you don't even do, are worthless. I don't give a shit what you learnt in Year 10 Commerce. HSC Eco is completely different. Dont assume you know shit about stuff you haven't done.

Schoey93

HSC
Don't make posts if your advice isnt accurate. @OP, didn't realise you were in Year 11. Skim through HSC textbooks and see if either interests you.

@Schoey: We've been through this before. Your opinions on subjects you don't even do, are worthless. I don't give a shit what you learnt in Year 10 Commerce. HSC Eco is completely different. Dont assume you know shit about stuff you haven't done.
It is difficult to ensure that all advice I give is accurate. I speak some Italian and am therefore qualified to do translations for other students. However, sometimes I mix words up or forget the meaning of a word. I realise that I have made mistakes when I look the words up in a bilingual dictionary.

This is not an 'ask an expert' forum. Most people here do not have degrees (if not most people, at least a large amount of people) and their advice is normally based on their life experiences.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I do know my way around the syllabus. If the OP would like a syllabus outline for each subject, I can copy them from the MCK subject choices guide.
Yeah, I have access to the Board of Studies site as well. :rolleyes:

Schoey93

HSC
deadset kid just shut the fuck up and do something more constructive than arguing about dancing. Your 2 weeks into yr 11, believe me when i say you have no clue whats heading your way work wise, very different from what your used to. Stop trying to give your advice/opinion or whatever the fuck you call it, as Aerath said ealiar, you have barely encountered the HSC courses for any of these subjects.
I was not arguing about dancing. I was arguing about the potential for a Year 11 student to be more intelligent than a Year 12 student. You may have just proved my point. (Or you may have just not read what I wrote.)

Advice =/= opinion.

Completion of the HSC =/= genius =/= more qualified to discuss school and life than any bright Year 11 student. (Those are 'is not equal to' signs - they don't look the same typed, I know.)

Last edited:

bio_nut

HSC
On the contrary, a student who has completed year 12 is far more qualified to give advice than a naive year 11 student.

Giving an opinion is ok. Making it seem like you're very knowledgable with previous experience in the subject is not. It's misleading.

Schoey93

HSC
On the contrary, a student who has completed year 12 is far more qualified to give advice than a naive year 11 student.

Giving an opinion is ok. Making it seem like you're very knowledgable with previous experience in the subject is not. It's misleading.
That's my point. I didn't make it seem like I was very knowledgeable nor did I say that I had previous experience in a subject. I merely said that the content of a subject doesn't sound interesting and the module titles of another subject don't appeal to me. Also, not all Year 11 students are naive. I know that the HSC is hard work.

Have you read my first post? It was misinterpreted.

/End argument. And if this keeps going nowhere, end the thread, please.

You only do 11 units according to your signature. Did you do accelerated study? I would choose physics. The core chemistry module titles do not grab my attention like the biology, physics and senior science module titles do. I've looked at chemistry textbooks too and the content appears dull. Physics sounds interesting and not overly difficult (difficult, but doable). Economics would probably put me to sleep.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)