42 hours (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
Can I just chip in with some personal thoughts (obviously this won't apply to everyone): Personally I thought the HSC year was WAY overhyped. If you're just consistent across the year and don't leave everything last minute, there isn't as much stress as everything builds it up to be. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, you can still have a social life and fun and stuff in year 12 (just not in exam blocks :p) and still do well. Just manage time effectively as you'll all be fine. Personally, year 12 was one of my favourite years at school in terms of memories and stuff (though yeah leading up to exams it gets a bit more intense).

And the other thing that I know a lot of you will ignore but I'll say it anyway is be realistic and do your best. Not everyone can get 99.95 and if you put too much pressure on yourself, you'll be disappointed. Its good to have goals but at the end of the day, if you can walk out of that final exam and say 'I gave it my (legit) best shot', then that's all you can ultimately do.

Good luck guys :)

Aysce

HSC
I'm only looking forward to seeing my ranks and marks from yearly's :) . Other then that I'm actually weirdly and oddly excited to start the course but depressed at the same time :p
This year will go by fast. Cherish it, it will be your last year of high school. It doesn't even feel like a year has passed for me yet :p

enoilgam

HSC
Can I just chip in with some personal thoughts (obviously this won't apply to everyone): Personally I thought the HSC year was WAY overhyped. If you're just consistent across the year and don't leave everything last minute, there isn't as much stress as everything builds it up to be. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, you can still have a social life and fun and stuff in year 12 (just not in exam blocks :p) and still do well. Just manage time effectively as you'll all be fine. Personally, year 12 was one of my favourite years at school in terms of memories and stuff (though yeah leading up to exams it gets a bit more intense).

And the other thing that I know a lot of you will ignore but I'll say it anyway is be realistic and do your best. Not everyone can get 99.95 and if you put too much pressure on yourself, you'll be disappointed. Its good to have goals but at the end of the day, if you can walk out of that final exam and say 'I gave it my (legit) best shot', then that's all you can ultimately do.

Totally agree with everything in this post, especially the last part. The HSC is pretty overrated - sure it is important and does involve hard work, but its nowhere near the "apocalyptic" event that it is made out to be.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
^I read somewhere you wanted to do law
Not really, I don't know if I can get 99.65, I'm probably aiming more realistically at 99.3-ish at max.

(I'm defs. doing UNSW Commerce, so if I got in, I'd only ever be doing law at UNSW).

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

That was helpful :) Thanks! Even though it doesn't apply to me yet :p

Focus is Key

HSC
Pretty excited, most of the courses seem more interesting this time around. Plus my Maths marks 're-set' lol so I can avenge my Prelim marks lol

I'll follow Deswa's advice; I'll try my absolute best and If I can say I tried my absolute hardest I'll be satisfied.

Last edited:

kwu1

HSC

Most valuable advice you can get before starting yr 12 :)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Not really, I don't know if I can get 99.65, I'm probably aiming more realistically at 99.3-ish at max.

(I'm defs. doing UNSW Commerce, so if I got in, I'd only ever be doing law at UNSW).
My goal for the coming year is to get you to start aiming for 99.70+ =P

(Which you can get if you start working just a little bit harder!)

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
This year is all about being consistent people!

Give yourself a short-term aim which seems just that little bit out of reach. Work hard. Ask plenty of questions, both in class and out of class. Contribute to class. Constantly re-assess and adjust your aims. Be realistic. If you were getting 30% in Physics in 2012, it's pretty certain you will not be getting 95+ in Physics for 2013.

Your teachers are there to help you. If you take time out of your own time (Lunch time or before/after school) 99% of teachers will be willing to put time into students who are willing to give up their own time to come see them. 4 out of the 5 days at work, I dont even have lunchtimes as I have students coming to see me. Don't disrupt the class or else they will throw sugar cubes and various teaching implements at you (overhead projectors included).

Most of all, make sure you get the balance right. Get a study plan happening from day 1 and STICK TO IT. If you have excuses for not sticking to your plan in Term 4, Week 1, then that excuse will continue til Term 3, 2013 and soz, but too late then. gg.

If you do any of the Sciences, start writing syllabus summaries (I already have my students emailing their summary notes to me! w00000t!) and get a hold of as many past papers as you can.

If you work hard for the next 12 months, if your goals are realistic, you WILL be rewarded.

END OF STORY.

Last edited:

Renegader

HSC

This year is all about being consistent people!

Give yourself a short-term aim which seems just that little bit out of reach. Work hard. Ask plenty of questions, both in class and out of class. Contribute to class.

Your teachers are there to help you. If you take time out of your own time (Lunch time or before/after school) 99% of teachers will be willing to put time into students who are willing to give up their own time to come see them. 4 out of the 5 days at work, I dont even have lunchtimes as I have students coming to see me. Don't disrupt the class or else they will throw sugar cubes and various teaching implements at you (overhead projectors included).

Most of all, make sure you get the balance right. Get a study plan happening from day 1 and STICK TO IT. If you have excuses for not sticking to your plan in Term 4, Week 1, then that excuse will continue til Term 3, 2013 and soz, but too late then. gg.

If you do any of the Sciences, start writing syllabus summaries (I already have my students emailing their summary notes to me! w00000t!) and get a hold of as many past papers as you can.

If you work hard for the next 12 months, if your goals are realistic, you WILL be rewarded.

END OF STORY.

Best posts to date! :)

HSC
You people freak out too much. The HSC is a slave trade but you can make the most of it! Just try your best!

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
BTW, the HSC course officially starts in term 4 week 4 at my school.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
My goal for the coming year is to get you to start aiming for 99.70+ =P

(Which you can get if you start working just a little bit harder!)
Haha, we'll see - might as well go all out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)