• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

42 hours (1 Viewer)

Wonder

HSC
iirc, my teacher told me that (for Maths at least) you could technically start the HSC course at any time, you just have to finish the entire preliminary course first?

Anyway, good luck to all of you!

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
My advice;
-This is going to be the best and worst year of your lives so far. Sure, there's all the bad stuff - exams, people having nervous breakdowns and whanot - but there's also a tonne of fun to be had!
-If you want to do something big for muckup day/talent quest/whatever, start organising it now. We had so many plans for all this cool stuff we were going to do, but left it to late to actually organise it. That's probably my biggest regret about year 12.
-Put in a consistent and sustained effort throughout the year and you won't need to cram. For the first 2 terms I was studying a 2-3 hours a day, every day and when it came to exam time I didn't need to do that much more, because I'd already done so much.
-Take breaks. Over the summer holidays take the first few weeks off to relax, because otherwise you're going to burn out. I started working after new year and even then I wasn't doing an incredible amount. Take the first week (if not both weeks) of the next holidays off too - I tried to keep going through them and I burnt out. Even during the holidays before trials, take a few days off to chill.

Most of all, enjoy it and have as much fun as you can!

Jikky

HSC
Thank you guys so much for these pieces of advice. The HSC is starting to look a bit better for me now! :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you guys so much for these pieces of advice. The HSC is starting to look a bit better for me now! :)
:), consistency is the key. There are 2 types of people, people that cram during exams, or people that study consistency . During the hsc you want to be the person that does not cram.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
One step closer to the end.

Dreading Year 12 but I'll have to face it so why not face it now I guess?
Again, it's not a monolithic life absorber people make it out to be.

I went away for five weeks in HSC time and still did decently at least internally(not gonna speak for external haha). And I guess the times I was away would mostly impact it (like trials time).

FizzyCyst and deswa offered great advice.

Also I had some of the most awesome experiences in Year 12, I'd do it again if I could just skip all the HSC assessments/exams haha. The rest of the "non HSC" part of the year was fantastic!

CaffeineMotor

HSC
Again, it's not a monolithic life absorber people make it out to be.

I went away for five weeks in HSC time and still did decently at least internally(not gonna speak for external haha). And I guess the times I was away would mostly impact it (like trials time).

FizzyCyst and deswa offered great advice.

Also I had some of the most awesome experiences in Year 12, I'd do it again if I could just skip all the HSC assessments/exams haha. The rest of the "non HSC" part of the year was fantastic!

Care to list said awesome experiences of year 12? :p

Focus is Key

HSC
My advice;
-This is going to be the best and worst year of your lives so far. Sure, there's all the bad stuff - exams, people having nervous breakdowns and whanot - but there's also a tonne of fun to be had!
-If you want to do something big for muckup day/talent quest/whatever, start organising it now. We had so many plans for all this cool stuff we were going to do, but left it to late to actually organise it. That's probably my biggest regret about year 12.
-Put in a consistent and sustained effort throughout the year and you won't need to cram. For the first 2 terms I was studying a 2-3 hours a day, every day and when it came to exam time I didn't need to do that much more, because I'd already done so much.
-Take breaks. Over the summer holidays take the first few weeks off to relax, because otherwise you're going to burn out. I started working after new year and even then I wasn't doing an incredible amount. Take the first week (if not both weeks) of the next holidays off too - I tried to keep going through them and I burnt out. Even during the holidays before trials, take a few days off to chill.

When you say studying, is that seperate from homework given or does that include the homework as well? (Hopefully the latter :p)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
When you say studying, is that seperate from homework given or does that include the homework as well? (Hopefully the latter :p)
It should include homework since you don't actually have to do the homework.

Too many people do homework for the sake of it/'because everyone does it'.

Homework is meant for consolidating your knowledge - if you can do that in 5 questions rather than 10, then that's your homework.

You should be setting your own homework - do however much is satisfactory for you and then study another subject or move on to the next concept/next part of the course (or past papers).

enoilgam

HSC

Homework is meant for consolidating your knowledge - if you can do that in 5 questions rather than 10, then that's your homework.

You should be setting your own homework - do however much is satisfactory for you and then study another subject or move on to the next concept/next part of the course (or past papers).
This is also an important consideration - sometimes, the homework your teachers set can be quite useless. If you can see that it's useless, do something else which you think is more beneficial instead.

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC

This. For example in maths, for topics I was confident on I would just do the very end questions but for ones I was more iffy on, I would do more questions than the teacher set. Its year 12- at the end of the day its your HSC- do what you need to do to do well

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
This is also an important consideration - sometimes, the homework your teachers set can be quite useless. If you can see that it's useless, do something else which you think is more beneficial instead.
Haha, especially from years 7 - 10. Sometimes homework is given for the sake of it :)

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Thanks for the advice
My advice;

gleeek

HSC
Thank god i made this thread, so much valuable advice haha
Thank you all who put in time to help! Much appreciated :)

enak101

HSC
Just got home from day one, maths exam mark was abysmal but I know if I put in the effort I will be good :p. No assignments for at least 3 weeks for me I believe. Good luck to everyone in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)