Year 12 2012 Chit Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
1 mark lost is 1 mark too many. She will receive a heavy beating from me with the fury of the bamboo.

(jk, I will reward her handsomely with jellybeans because she loves them)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
This happened in our SDD course in our HY, we were tested on the whole course but we had learnt 1/4 due to new teacher. I still managed to get 80% and come first.

HSC
N/A
Re: The Nonsense Thread

I'm doing one past paper a day and marking. That's all i'm doing. Is that enough study?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I would of course, try to help.

But I'm getting awfully confused by your display picture, since it's so similar to mine, and it's suddenly making me unable to help you out.

If 3 hours, then 1 paper. If 2 hours, then 1.5 papers.

HSC
N/A
But I emulate you, Carrot!

today i'm doing paper one and two of english. I should probably be doing 2 papers a day, but i'm worried i'll burn out

nightweaver066

HSC
But I emulate you, Carrot!

today i'm doing paper one and two of english. I should probably be doing 2 papers a day, but i'm worried i'll burn out
a past paper a day sounds good, but you should also be looking over material for your other subjects as well

what subjects do you do?

HSC
N/A
a past paper a day sounds good, but you should also be looking over material for your other subjects as well

what subjects do you do?
Advanced English, 3U Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies, Studies of Religion
I'm probably dropping 3u though :/

I do one paper a day and read over notes for one module of a particular subject

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Advanced English, 3U Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies, Studies of Religion
I'm probably dropping 3u though :/

I do one paper a day and read over notes for one module of a particular subject
Maths: At most one 2U paper, or 3U paper including marking and going through where you went wrong.

Biology: Core but not option. Do that separately. You can try all in 1 go, but it will be a bit much. If you forget a definition or an example etc, then MAKE NOTE of it, then read, then answer, then carry on. You should have a list of 'commonly forgotten things' by the time you have your HSC exam.

Chem: Same as Bio.

HSC
N/A
Maths: At most one 2U paper, or 3U paper including marking and going through where you went wrong.

Biology: Core but not option. Do that separately. You can try all in 1 go, but it will be a bit much. If you forget a definition or an example etc, then MAKE NOTE of it, then read, then answer, then carry on. You should have a list of 'commonly forgotten things' by the time you have your HSC exam.

Chem: Same as Bio.
That's actually exactly what i'm doing for bio and chem (Well, not the list, but the mistakes i've made I go through and make sure I don't repeat). I'm doing the core on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and i've left the weekend to go through the content for the optional (haven't reached the stage where i'm knowledgeable enough to do papers yet).

A teacher told me not to do the last question of the 2u paper because it wouldn't help you get a band 6 at all (as it changes every year or something). Should i skip it?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A teacher told me not to do the last question of the 2u paper because it wouldn't help you get a band 6 at all (as it changes every year or something). Should i skip it?
No, don't skip it. That is ridiculous advice. Marks are marks. If you can even grab 2 or 3 marks, they are still marks regardless of what question from which they came.

You are more likely to gain marks from attempting it, than going back and looking and what you already have done.

nightweaver066

HSC
No, don't skip it. That is ridiculous advice. Marks are marks. If you can even grab 2 or 3 marks, they are still marks regardless of what question from which they came.

You are more likely to gain marks from attempting it, than going back and looking and what you already have done.
unless you know you make silly mistakes. if you feel you find the last question will be a bit time consuming (after looking over it), i'd look over previous questions and maximise marks you know you will get.

that's my one regret over my previous maths exams :/

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
unless you know you make silly mistakes. if you feel you find the last question will be a bit time consuming (after looking over it), i'd look over previous questions and maximise marks you know you will get.

that's my one regret over my previous maths exams :/
Yep.

One thing I've heard so many times, which frustrates me, is when teachers make the last question seem all scary and to 'skip it, don't waste your time'.

The thing is all this hype IS what makes it so difficult. The questions aren't actually that difficult but it's the HYPE that makes it seem so intimidating, and this intimidation is what makes it so difficult to do these questions. I raised this in the MX2 seminar (moreso applicable to MX2 than 2U) but the idea is still the same. nightweaver I'm sure you know what I mean (the very first seminar Q).

I don't want students having the mentality 'Oh, last question. I'm probably not going to get it anyway' and then skip it without even a proper attempt.

If you have a couple minutes left, yeah sure probably best to just check what you have but if you have half an hour-ish or 20 minutes, then give it a proper go and you will be rewarded handsomely.

RishBonjour

HSC
For 3u, say if you have around 20-30 mins left for Q7, and then you have 4/5 marks left (with 10 or so mins left) until you complete it, when should you give up and revise your work?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Really depends on the situation, and your abilities as nightweaver said.

deswa1

HSC
Going off what Carrot said, often the last questions in 3/4U have some throwaway marks that are very easy. Like completing the whole question is very difficult but you could get a few marks here or there relatively easily. Also note that you don't have to complete earlier parts of a question to do the later parts- you can just assume the result you were meant to prove earlier

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Lost 1st got an estimated mark for section

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)