• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Where is the school dux now? (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
I don't even know who the dux of my grade is but all the guys who got 99.95+ ended up doing medicine or law. It's been nearly ten years since high school so I'd imagine most of them are practicing by now.
and btw they give dux to all the 99.95ers

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
At uni? At school?
Mhhhm

I always wondered what you would have been like at school (I hear that you're pretty laid back at uni)

What did you do during recess and lunch?

What was your behaviour like in class?

How did you react when you got your results (Like if people asked you how did you go, how would you respond if say you got 99/100 for a maths exam)?

Did you ever have any breakdowns?

etc.

EDIT:

Regarding your choice of course, why choose that specific course when you could have gone with medicine or law?

Were you driven by passion if not then what influenced your decision?

Silly Sausage

HSC
I didn't even know she existed until it was announced cause she was an international student and didn't talk to anyone.

mreditor16

HSC
Mhhhm

I always wondered what you would have been like at school (I hear that you're pretty laid back at uni)

What did you do during recess and lunch?

What was your behaviour like in class?

How did you react when you got your results (Like if people asked you how did you go, how would you respond if say you got 99/100 for a maths exam)?

Did you ever have any breakdowns?

etc.

EDIT:

Regarding your choice of course, why choose that specific course when you could have gone with medicine or law?

Were you driven by passion if not then what influenced your decision?
lol these are like interview questions. anyway here are my answers:

"I hear that you're pretty laid back at uni" - Yep, definitely (not sure who you've heard this from though LOL). A lot of my lectures, I start talking to friends, messing around on my phone (e.g. messaging friends or playing games or checking FB), maybe even distract my friends. And as for my breaks, I never study in them, because for some reason I just cant study on campus or in the library - I literally have near-zero productivity. So as a result, my breaks are always time off, meeting up with friends somewhere on campus or getting lunch or chilling with friends in the library etc etc. Also, sometimes, in my breaks, I might need to go to a society event or subcommittee meeting etc. And as a result of university becoming my time to relax, any study I have to do is done at home, when I get time.

What did I do during recess and lunch? - Pretty much, it would be chilling and messing around with friends (but not always with the same group everyday - pretty much had a few different circles of friends - some closer than others though), gulping down food and stuff like that. Sometimes though, I would have extra-curricular meetings or meeting up with students of lower grades who I was tutoring/mentoring in Maths, through either the Peer Mentoring Scheme or Tutorial Service Scheme.

Um, on a related note, during free periods, I would always study Maths. This is because my efficiency and productivity at school was always not too good, so I didn't bother with subjects like English and Latin where I needed full concentration and no distractions around me - I left such subjects until I got home and took a shower and felt a bit more refreshed, especially with a more quiet and comfortable study environment. And Maths was a subject which was most easy to do in a tough study environment. Also, I would listen to music during such free periods, since this minimised my 'vulnerability' to distractions around me (e.g. other conversations, people passing by). Also, sometimes, if I had questions for teachers (esp. Latin, because I had no resources besides my teacher), I would hunt them down during my frees (luckily most didn't have class then) and ask my pending concerns/queries/questions. At the same time, though, I would estimate that only 50% ever ended up being study-related and the majority of these would be close to assessments. A lot of the time, I would start studying, but then see a friend and mess around with them for the whole free period. Or I would overhear an ongoing convo and join in, and never go back to study. Some days, I just didn't have the mindset or mood to study, and just didn't take out any study stuff. And just messed around with friends. So yeah. In a way, school become my time to 'play' and home was my time to 'work'.

What was your behaviour like in class? - Asking any of my friends would confirm this but I was not that attentive in class, in general. In English, I generally wouldn't be doing shit, however I would generally listen to what is going on and chime in with some good stuff occasionally, and my teacher really liked me, so it all worked out fine LOL. like for example, whenever I was falling real behind with one subject, I would do that subject during English class, but at the same time, semi-keep out an ear for interesting stuff and chime in when appropriate. And never caught LOL #thuglyf :p And, if there were no pending study concerns, a lot of GLTron was played in the back row HAHAHAHAHAHA good times :)

In Latin Continuers and Extension, I absolutely loved my teacher and she was very engaging and just understood as well. So you could say I was pretty attentive. Also, needed to be, because my only source for Latin was class and my teacher, because no textbooks and no tutor and not much external resources. But at the same time, our teacher was so good, that when we were not in the zone, we did something more easy and sometimes just didn't do anything and had a class convo and didn't do shit. It was all about adjusting to the situation. But me personally, I was fairly attentive and I loved Latin class - like it was fun. So yeah and also a lot of jokes and fooling around though (especially on my part LOL), which was great.

Moving onto Economics, I loved the content in Economics, so that made paying attention much easier. Also, our economics teacher was quite funny and had a lot of interesting anecdotes about economics and the content being covered in that lesson. Adding on the fact that he was very strict, I was quite attentive, but there was not much effort involved to do so, if that makes sense.

In Maths, I was quite attentive, my teacher was fantastic, and just explained everything in a way that made sense and also you wanted to pay attention. However, it was not always work, and when we moved from subtopic to subtopic (or question to question) during class, we were such a tight knit class that there was a lot of joking around, teasing, long-running ships, telling of funny stories (esp from our teacher). For all those reasons, Maths was my favourite class, you literally had an amazing time every period and you learnt the content very well. And, like Latin, it was a two way street, our teacher teased us and messed around with us, and us right back at the teacher. So it was just awesome. Hence, in terms of going to class and the experience, Maths and Latin were definitely top two.

And, last of all, Physics! lmao never did any work - just talked to my mates all the time. Did literally nothing - actually got moved a few times for messing around too much. A lot of practical jokes on my bench LOL and good times. Physics was literally my chill period - go there to have a fun time and hang with two good mates, joke around etc. Sometimes pay attention but rarely. Also messing around with equipment and stealing others results during pracs was always good ;)

How did you react when you got your results (Like if people asked you how did you go, how would you respond if say you got 99/100 for a maths exam)? - My reaction to test results immediately after receiving it really depended on who was around me at the time. If I was sitting with close friends who understood my goals and I knew would never take it as showing off or anything like that, when I got a good result for example, I would like reacting happily e.g. cheer, say 'fuck yeah' or nod or something LOLOL. if I was around friends not that close, I would just take my exam paper and not say anything. as for people asking me about my results, regardless of whether it was bad (I had a few real shockers) or good, I always just said it. It was never going around to others gloating (had quite a few of those in our cohort) or never telling your results to others (had quite a few of those in our cohort).

Did you ever have any breakdowns? - First one was before final HSC exam for Economics, because I had no idea how to expect. As for year 12, not really. The only ones I can think of were multiple mini-breakdowns before assessment periods about Latin, because although I absolutellyyyy loved Latin periods, my Latin class (same class since year 7) and my latin teacher, studying for Latin exams was absolutely a bitch. I think my worst breakdown was the afternoon of the preceding day to day 2 of final hsc exams - I had English paper 2 in the morning and latin extension in the afternoon.

Regarding your choice of course, why choose that specific course when you could have gone with medicine or law? Were you driven by passion if not then what influenced your decision?

I had a lot of people encourage me to do medicine or law. Tbh medicine was just never considered - it just really never appealed to me, like the potential of doing medicine never ever crossed my mind. So yeah never popped up into my mind, like never ever. Same with law, although my reasons for not doing Law are much more concrete (e.g. language-oriented subject - always wanted to do a course more numbers-side and commerce-sided). I always knew actuarial studies was my calling, because maths and commerce were both something that interested me and I was passionate about, and they were two subject areas that I performed well in. So I always wanted to do something that could combine these two areas, and Actl Studies / Commerce was perfect for that. I found out about the area of actuarial studies in Year 10, in my Careers class, and in Year 10, I did a lot of research into the area and even did work experience at the actuary department at an insurance firm. And by the end of year 10, I pretty much knew everything there is to know about the area, uni degrees for it, job prospects, what the job involves etc etc. (of course, since then, I've always been trying to learn more and more about the area, so I would easily say that my understanding of the area is very very strong and probably no first year student (not to gloat) would know more about it then me). As a result, I knew I wanted to do Actuarial Studies since early Year 11, in fact, and I never waivered from it since then. :) So yes it has been passion that influenced the decision and researching into the area and understanding what I am diving into reaffirmed my passions as it appealed to me very much. and yeah :)

hope that helps :)

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

"I hear that you're pretty laid back at uni" - Yep, definitely (not sure who you've heard this from though LOL). A lot of my lectures, I start talking to friends, messing around on my phone (e.g. messaging friends or playing games or checking FB), maybe even distract my friends. And as for my breaks, I never study in them, because for some reason I just cant study on campus or in the library - I literally have near-zero productivity. So as a result, my breaks are always time off, meeting up with friends somewhere on campus or getting lunch or chilling with friends in the library etc etc. Also, sometimes, in my breaks, I might need to go to a society event or subcommittee meeting etc. And as a result of university becoming my time to relax, any study I have to do is done at home, when I get time.

What did I do during recess and lunch? - Pretty much, it would be chilling and messing around with friends (but not always with the same group everyday - pretty much had a few different circles of friends - some closer than others though), gulping down food and stuff like that. Sometimes though, I would have extra-curricular meetings or meeting up with students of lower grades who I was tutoring/mentoring in Maths, through either the Peer Mentoring Scheme or Tutorial Service Scheme.

Um, on a related note, during free periods, I would always study Maths. This is because my efficiency and productivity at school was always not too good, so I didn't bother with subjects like English and Latin where I needed full concentration and no distractions around me - I left such subjects until I got home and took a shower and felt a bit more refreshed, especially with a more quiet and comfortable study environment. And Maths was a subject which was most easy to do in a tough study environment. Also, I would listen to music during such free periods, since this minimised my 'vulnerability' to distractions around me (e.g. other conversations, people passing by). Also, sometimes, if I had questions for teachers (esp. Latin, because I had no resources besides my teacher), I would hunt them down during my frees (luckily most didn't have class then) and ask my pending concerns/queries/questions. At the same time, though, I would estimate that only 50% ever ended up being study-related and the majority of these would be close to assessments. A lot of the time, I would start studying, but then see a friend and mess around with them for the whole free period. Or I would overhear an ongoing convo and join in, and never go back to study. Some days, I just didn't have the mindset or mood to study, and just didn't take out any study stuff. And just messed around with friends. So yeah. In a way, school become my time to 'play' and home was my time to 'work'.

What was your behaviour like in class? - Asking any of my friends would confirm this but I was not that attentive in class, in general. In English, I generally wouldn't be doing shit, however I would generally listen to what is going on and chime in with some good stuff occasionally, and my teacher really liked me, so it all worked out fine LOL. like for example, whenever I was falling real behind with one subject, I would do that subject during English class, but at the same time, semi-keep out an ear for interesting stuff and chime in when appropriate. And never caught LOL #thuglyf :p And, if there were no pending study concerns, a lot of GLTron was played in the back row HAHAHAHAHAHA good times :)

In Latin Continuers and Extension, I absolutely loved my teacher and she was very engaging and just understood as well. So you could say I was pretty attentive. Also, needed to be, because my only source for Latin was class and my teacher, because no textbooks and no tutor and not much external resources. But at the same time, our teacher was so good, that when we were not in the zone, we did something more easy and sometimes just didn't do anything and had a class convo and didn't do shit. It was all about adjusting to the situation. But me personally, I was fairly attentive and I loved Latin class - like it was fun. So yeah and also a lot of jokes and fooling around though (especially on my part LOL), which was great.

Moving onto Economics, I loved the content in Economics, so that made paying attention much easier. Also, our economics teacher was quite funny and had a lot of interesting anecdotes about economics and the content being covered in that lesson. Adding on the fact that he was very strict, I was quite attentive, but there was not much effort involved to do so, if that makes sense.

In Maths, I was quite attentive, my teacher was fantastic, and just explained everything in a way that made sense and also you wanted to pay attention. However, it was not always work, and when we moved from subtopic to subtopic (or question to question) during class, we were such a tight knit class that there was a lot of joking around, teasing, long-running ships, telling of funny stories (esp from our teacher). For all those reasons, Maths was my favourite class, you literally had an amazing time every period and you learnt the content very well. And, like Latin, it was a two way street, our teacher teased us and messed around with us, and us right back at the teacher. So it was just awesome. Hence, in terms of going to class and the experience, Maths and Latin were definitely top two.

And, last of all, Physics! lmao never did any work - just talked to my mates all the time. Did literally nothing - actually got moved a few times for messing around too much. A lot of practical jokes on my bench LOL and good times. Physics was literally my chill period - go there to have a fun time and hang with two good mates, joke around etc. Sometimes pay attention but rarely. Also messing around with equipment and stealing others results during pracs was always good ;)

How did you react when you got your results (Like if people asked you how did you go, how would you respond if say you got 99/100 for a maths exam)? - My reaction to test results immediately after receiving it really depended on who was around me at the time. If I was sitting with close friends who understood my goals and I knew would never take it as showing off or anything like that, when I got a good result for example, I would like reacting happily e.g. cheer, say 'fuck yeah' or nod or something LOLOL. if I was around friends not that close, I would just take my exam paper and not say anything. as for people asking me about my results, regardless of whether it was bad (I had a few real shockers) or good, I always just said it. It was never going around to others gloating (had quite a few of those in our cohort) or never telling your results to others (had quite a few of those in our cohort).

Did you ever have any breakdowns? - First one was before final HSC exam for Economics, because I had no idea how to expect. As for year 12, not really. The only ones I can think of were multiple mini-breakdowns before assessment periods about Latin, because although I absolutellyyyy loved Latin periods, my Latin class (same class since year 7) and my latin teacher, studying for Latin exams was absolutely a bitch. I think my worst breakdown was the afternoon of the preceding day to day 2 of final hsc exams - I had English paper 2 in the morning and latin extension in the afternoon.

Regarding your choice of course, why choose that specific course when you could have gone with medicine or law? Were you driven by passion if not then what influenced your decision?

I had a lot of people encourage me to do medicine or law. Tbh medicine was just never considered - it just really never appealed to me, like the potential of doing medicine never ever crossed my mind. So yeah never popped up into my mind, like never ever. Same with law, although my reasons for not doing Law are much more concrete (e.g. language-oriented subject - always wanted to do a course more numbers-side and commerce-sided). I always knew actuarial studies was my calling, because maths and commerce were both something that interested me and I was passionate about, and they were two subject areas that I performed well in. So I always wanted to do something that could combine these two areas, and Actl Studies / Commerce was perfect for that. I found out about the area of actuarial studies in Year 10, in my Careers class, and in Year 10, I did a lot of research into the area and even did work experience at the actuary department at an insurance firm. And by the end of year 10, I pretty much knew everything there is to know about the area, uni degrees for it, job prospects, what the job involves etc etc. (of course, since then, I've always been trying to learn more and more about the area, so I would easily say that my understanding of the area is very very strong and probably no first year student (not to gloat) would know more about it then me). As a result, I knew I wanted to do Actuarial Studies since early Year 11, in fact, and I never waivered from it since then. :) So yes it has been passion that influenced the decision and researching into the area and understanding what I am diving into reaffirmed my passions as it appealed to me very much. and yeah :)

Would be annoying if someone quoted this repeatedly.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I always played cards in my free periods and justified it by saying i was studying probability/counting techniques.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
is riproot-style multiquoting still a thing nowadays?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Thank you for that :D

That was so insightful, I (along with many others) had the perception that a lot of high tier selective school students would be constantly studying without being distracted whatsoever o_O (I've met a lot of selective school students like this)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha went same school as you (graduated 2014). And that year, for our 4 duxes, we actually had two go to UNSW medicine, one go do b economics at usyd (iirc) and one do b actuarial studies / b commerce at unsw. so this year was a shift from last few years, where we mostly had all 99.95ers doing medicine!
My year didn't have many medicine kids; most started off doing Comm/Law and transferring wherever later on. I look at LinkedIn now and most people ended up in Big 4 accounting firms or one of the big name law firms.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Would be annoying if someone quoted this repeatedly.
Wot wot wOT?

What was your behaviour like in class? - Asking any of my friends would confirm this but I was not that attentive in class, in general. In English, I generally wouldn't be doing shit, however I would generally listen to what is going on and chime in with some good stuff occasionally, and my teacher really liked me, so it all worked out fine LOL. like for example, whenever I was falling real behind with one subject, I would do that subject during English class, but at the same time, semi-keep out an ear for interesting stuff and chime in when appropriate. And never caught LOL #thuglyf [emoji14] And, if there were no pending study concerns, a lot of GLTron was played in the back row HAHAHAHAHAHA good times :)

Best response ever
lol mine is boring as fuck, I wouldn't bother wasting your time reading through it LOL.
No
is riproot-style multiquoting still a thing nowadays?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Maybe ask this question in 10 years time. The majority of responses will be university related...big surprise.
This. I'm pretty sure my old HS teachers and HS mates would want to see where I am in 10 years time rather than now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)