The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I've got a question or two relating to smoke purchases.
When asking for ID, what happens if the person if obviously using a family members id which looks half like them. Can you refuse to sell it to them even if they answer the correct 'questios' you ask them about the ID?

Also. It's not illegal to purchase smokes for a minor is it? If so, can you refuse to sell if an elder is obviously buying for a minor, like alcohol cases?

danberg

HSC
I've got a question or two relating to smoke purchases.
When asking for ID, what happens if the person if obviously using a family members id which looks half like them. Can you refuse to sell it to them even if they answer the correct 'questios' you ask them about the ID?

Also. It's not illegal to purchase smokes for a minor is it? If so, can you refuse to sell if an elder is obviously buying for a minor, like alcohol cases?
ITs different in every state, although Woolworths/Safeway policy is probably pretty uniform in terms of the U/25 rule

If its a family members ID, its pretty difficult for you to handle, I'd advise getting a supervisor seeing as you're new. However, in Safeway (Vic) the Tobacco Act 1987 applies:
"
12 Supplying tobacco to person under 18 years​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](1) A person must not sell a tobacco product to a person under the age of 18 years.
(2) A person must not purchase a tobacco product for the use of a person under the age of 18 years. "

So it is illegal to buy cigarettes for someone under 18, though I doubt people are ever really prosecuted for it. From your perspective, asking for ID is all you need to do if you're in doubt:

"(4) It is a defence to a prosecution under this section if a person proves that he or she—
(c) at the time of the alleged offence, had seen an evidence of age document of the person whose age is material to the offence, indicating that the person is of or over the age of 18 years"

SO if you do that you're doing the right thing, but realistically if the family member is prepared to lend them their ID, they'd be prepared to buy cigs for them too (if they were ever refused)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Edit: Just found my Safeway training for this, under secondary purchasing it says "If you believe a customer is purchasing tobacco products for someone under the age of 18, you should reconsider making the sale"
lol @ reconsider, not the strongest language- obviously you can't get in trouble for this!

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
of course you can refuse service, if you dont think the ID is them, then you dont serve them espescially when you say it's "obvious" they are using somebody elses.

yes it is illegal, and yes u can refuse service.

as an aside, fuck, i wish they would integrate a few services of the various help desks, or at least COMMUNICATE with each other. EFTPOS didnt balance monday morning, we couldnt figure out the problem at first, so just shortbanked to 23 after calling IT helpdesk, then calling GFS. So, finally, i work out the problem is from a few days earlier when a few transactions somehow got sent to the bank a day late. so me, being a good boy decides to try work out what happened and fix it

-call GFS, they cant find the transactions, they tell me to Manual Export the pinpad
-do this, doesnt work, call IT help desk
-IT help desk tells me to call SSS (because they will have a better idea of what has happened, apparantly), then call back GFS

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Ok so to summarise.

It is illegal to sell alcohol to minors (obviously)
- It is illegal or prohibited to sell alcohol when you suspect somebody is buying for a minor.

It is illegal to sell tobacco to minors (obviously)
- It is illegal or prohibited to sell tobacco when you suspect somebody is buying for a minor.

General Rule - You do not have to sell if you suspect a person has a fake ID, relatives ID, and so forth..

Thanks guys :)

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Our pay rates are as follows:

New Zealand Dollars
First 3 months of service IF under 18 - $10
After 3 months of service IF under 18 - $13.59
Over 18 - $15.04

Department Managers & Supers $16.31 (Depending on size of Dept)
Duty Managers $17.68

Every 2 years after that you get an extra .37 an hour.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Ah, I had a similar weird-freaky thing happen with a staffmember at my store.
She started going on about some posts I'd made which had come up when she's searched "Woolworths" in google.... :(
Hahaha actually, just found a colleague who's posted in here a couple of years ago. Lol Lol Lol.

HSC
got my group interview tomorrow, at fairfield. took 2 months of applying but they finally found me of use.

but i forgot what time i'm meant to be there.:spzz:

good start :music:

HSC
yeah, i was on the train when they called, i got all the details but i'm worried i missed the time bit.

gonna call back soon, just sounds heaps shit if you've forgotten after 1 day :(

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Ok so, I've been averaging >20 hours for the last 2 years of working at Woolies. Over that time I've been on a PPT contract of 11 hours, flexed up weekly to be 20 hours+ depending on the department's needs. They've cut my hours, as of this week, down to my 11 (as apparently the dept is overspending on hours). Do I have any grounds to request a new contract which has more than 11 hours, in order to reflect my average weekly hours from this extended period of time? Or do I not have a leg to stand on...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yes, u do have a leg to stand on, if over an anniversary year your average hours are more than your core hours you can ask for a new contract with your core hours on it.

Harry778

HSC
could i be the next manager for my local woolies?

i'm fairly keen for the job, and i'm 15. :D
Do you mean when you're older?

Does anyone know if you need you HSC to be a store manager? If so, at what level of management do you need it at? I know you dont for a Dept manager.

OMG BACK AT MY OLD STORE IN 5 DAYS =D!

HSC
why you going back t oyour old store?

and yea, when i'm older maybe 16 or 17 depending on if they let me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)