• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (4 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
And no dept manager will admit outright to putting cheaper staff on. Its just, well, something we all know happens on Sundays and Public Holidays.
Ofcourse, but surely they would have to have some older staff on, because any "official" or union member that works in would be able to see it instantly (15/16) year old staff EVERYWHERE.

BTW, I walked into coles a few days ago, and EVERY register had people over 21 on, and I was thinking "wtffffff!!". This was school holidays aswell! haha

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Our biggest issue is that when someone is asked where something is, they don't take the customer to it.
I didn't know we were supposed to. My CSM says that the isle number and location is good enough. Usually, if I can't help the customer find what they're after, I'll call someone from the appropriate department. Except when it's clear that they haven't made any attempts to find it for themselves. I just walk them over to the store guide...well they have to learn sooner or later!

Harry778

HSC
Shit! I forgot about the new Self Serve soft ware. I start back at my old store on Monday...does that mean I will have to get trained again? Grrrrr! Not happy Jan Jackson.

Who is the SCO Champ? I heard it was some girl called Natasha Oaks?

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Shit! I forgot about the new Self Serve soft ware. I start back at my old store on Monday...does that mean I will have to get trained again? Grrrrr! Not happy Jan Jackson.

Who is the SCO Champ? I heard it was some girl called Natasha Oaks?
Yep, well, depending when your store goes live (or if you already have it), but I read on the Go Live documentation that the rollout will be complete by October 31.

There are individual Area Champions for the WoWPoS rollout.

bdude

HSC
Our biggest issue is that when someone is asked where something is, they don't take the customer to it.
Floor staff at Coles are supposed to do it too. If it's something obvious like chips, lollies, tea, coffee, etc I'll just say "Aisle X on your y-hand side".

If it's something that might be hard to find - sewing supplies or anchovy paste, for example - I'll show them to it.

Treefeet

HSC
When a customer asks you where something is, you now have to show them where it is. No buts about it.

And check-seals are only offered, if you are leaving the items in your locker. but if you are taking them home that night, its fine to keep them upstairs with your docket of proof of purchuse.

HSC
Ofcourse, but surely they would have to have some older staff on, because any "official" or union member that works in would be able to see it instantly (15/16) year old staff EVERYWHERE.

BTW, I walked into coles a few days ago, and EVERY register had people over 21 on, and I was thinking "wtffffff!!". This was school holidays aswell! haha
But from the union's perspective, there isn't an issue with having 15/16 year old staff on. Our 2IC is working, as are a few older PPT staff who normally work Monday so therefore get first prefs on public holidays.

The union actually don't care that much. They just want our money so that they have more bargaining power.

danberg

HSC
But from the union's perspective, there isn't an issue with having 15/16 year old staff on. Our 2IC is working, as are a few older PPT staff who normally work Monday so therefore get first prefs on public holidays.

The union actually don't care that much. They just want our money so that they have more bargaining power.
i think (and hope!) they care more about just bargaining power. The SDA has a policy of eliminating junior rates of pay, so that everyone is one wage, which i completely agree with- the current system is discriminatory and if there was one rate it would mean employees were rostered based on availability and performance rather than just being cheap (and not neessarily good!). I know coles pays adult wages from 20 now, not 21 like safeway....maybe an aim for the new agreement?

bdude

HSC
But if everyone was paid at the same rate either wages would have to move down or less people would be able to be rostered on.

danberg

HSC
But if everyone was paid at the same rate either wages would have to move down or less people would be able to be rostered on.
either that, or companies could actually commit themselves to decent service and spend more on employing front line staff instead of an excessive number of managers (who design hopeless IT upgrades....yes im kind of on edge)

edit: personally im not too unhappy about how much i get paid, tho i think 18 is an adult so should mean an adult wage. its not going to happen overnight, but i think it'll gradually happen

Last edited:

bdude

HSC
I definitely think that 18/19 should be considered an adult wage. You're considered adult for everything else that you have to pay money for.

But doubling the pay rate for a 15 year old?

It would be nice to be paid a bit more but with every pay rise comes a manager somewhere who decides to tighten and tighten the wages budget

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
+ Coles also pays the lowest wage for 15, 16 & 17 year olds, am I mistaken? Safeway just has the under 16's wage, so in that sense, 15 year olds are on 17 year old wage, but get paid more for it?

HSC
I definitely think that 18/19 should be considered an adult wage. You're considered adult for everything else that you have to pay money for.
I agree.

Although, I think that if the SDA union can't achieve the abolishment of junior wages, they should stagger their fees so that 15 year olds pay less than 21 year olds.

bdude

HSC
+ Coles also pays the lowest wage for 15, 16 & 17 year olds, am I mistaken? Safeway just has the under 16's wage, so in that sense, 15 year olds are on 17 year old wage, but get paid more for it?
based on tassie award for woolworths - casual rates

woolworths coles
under 16 $10.413 $9.580
16 and under 17 $10.413 $10.6542
17 and under 18 $11.350 $11.709
18 and under 19 $14.058 $14.371
19 and under 20 $16.557 $17.032
20 and under 21 $17.286 $21.2904
over 21 $20.826 $21.2904

So if you're under 16 then Woolworths pays better, then it's pretty close until you hit 19. This is based on the TAS W/Worths award as you guys don't have a national one.

quick90

HSC
Our store ran out of bags today, front end had to use banana boxes... lol

Harry778

HSC
Our store ran out of bags today, front end had to use banana boxes... lol
WOW that would have sucked. We either call other stores to borrow some untill we get them or use express bags. The CSM (or Service Supervisor on duty) should be keeping track of how many boxes are left and try and get some before you run out cos thats pretty bad.

Craven

HSC
We've run out of bags before. All the other stores in the area wouldn't lend any to us... we just used all the egg boxes or people bought green bags or back when we used to have those strawberry bags for 6c. We also reused all the bags in the recycling bin, and refused bags to people on express lanes and for bulky items :p

Most permanent/fulltime staff I know would prefer to have public holidays off! If they normally work the day the public holiday falls on they still have to get paid for that day if they don't work.

bdude

HSC
Most permanent/fulltime staff I know would prefer to have public holidays off! If they normally work the day the public holiday falls on they still have to get paid for that day if they don't work.
Or they could work and get penalty rates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)