The Woolworths Thread (5 Viewers)

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Yes... that happens for us all the time as well!! I thought it was only our store as well until you jsut brought it up.

Yep the supervisor button doesn't work.... I'm going to try rebooting through the WoWPOS screen on my next shift and see what happens. Btw this may sound like a really stupid question but what does SCO refer to?? :haha:
Haha thank goodness for that, has upgrading to WoWPoS fixed it by any chance? *crosses fingers in hope*
SCO - Self Checkout (ive never called it self checkout though, i just call it self serve)

SS-champion

HSC
Btw this may sound like a really stupid question but what does SCO refer to?? :haha:
SCO = Self Check Out

does anyone else find it funny that they say "sco" on the WoWPos dvd like it's a word. lol ... "go to sco" :)

SpongeHead

HSC
Haha thank goodness for that, has upgrading to WoWPoS fixed it by any chance? *crosses fingers in hope*
SCO - Self Checkout (ive never called it self checkout though, i just call it self serve)
Ah so that's what that means.... you learn something new every day huh lolHmm to be honest I really didnt notice if there were any probs with the woolies sausages. I'm going to keep an eye out during my next shift though and see what happened. I though the NCR software was supposed to take the average of all the fresh meat products to account for the weight variations between diff packs :S

SpongeHead

HSC
SCO = Self Check Out

does anyone else find it funny that they say "sco" on the WoWPos dvd like it's a word. lol ... "go to sco" :)

Haha yes that woman did sound weird saying that... She also seemed really happy and eager to show us the new and improved system which I also found odd lol :p

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Ah so that's what that means.... you learn something new every day huh lolHmm to be honest I really didnt notice if there were any probs with the woolies sausages. I'm going to keep an eye out during my next shift though and see what happened. I though the NCR software was supposed to take the average of all the fresh meat products to account for the weight variations between diff packs :S
Hahaha yeah, I didn't know what CSM meant the other day, so I asked here :p.
So you didn't notice cause it happens for EVERYTHING not just sausages now? hahaha oh dear...

Last edited:

SpongeHead

HSC
You didn't notice cause it happens for EVERYTHING not just sausages now? hahaha oh dear...

Haha yeah that is definately true... I'm dreading my next shift :jedi:

Have any of you guys had really stupid customers try to use self-serve and could not help but just stand back and watch them scan their items, while trying really hard to stop laughing?? The other day I was watching this woman wave a bag of bananas in front of the scanner. She stopped after a few times and wondered why it wasn't scanning and then tried waving the bag in front of the green lights above the scanner. I couldn't take anymore so I went over and politely told her there was no barcode on the bag and that she had to put the fruit in manually lmao.... I cant understand some people, honestly. :haha:

Last edited:

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Have any of you guys had relly stupid customers trying to use self-serve and could help but just stand back and watch them trying to use the machines while trying really hard to stop laughing?? The other day I was watching this woman wave a bag of bananas in front of the scanner. She stopped after a few times and wondered why it wasn't scanning and then tried waving the bag in front of the green lights above the scanner. I couldn't take anymore so I went over and politely told her there was no barcode on the bag and that she had to put the fruit in manually lmao.... I cant understand some people, honestly. :haha:
Haha, oh yeah alll the time :p
Yesterday, a woman tried putting her $20 in a crack in the notes out area (theres like a join there somewhere and she was feeding her note in there!) Seriously, how thick do you have to be!

Also, we have had to cover up the area between the screen and the top of the scanner with tape cause people kept putting their notes down there!

HSC
Manual EFT really should be re-trained to supervisors i think, like i had to self teach myself manual EFT's, which is good, because one day the lines are just going to crash and it will be a nightmare because hardly anybody knows how to do them
I don't have a clue how to do Manual EFT. I actually don't think that any of the supervisors that I work with do either...

SS-champion

HSC
to be honest I really didnt notice if there were any probs with the woolies sausages. I thought the NCR software was supposed to take the average of all the fresh meat products to account for the weight variations between diff packs :S
For things like fresh meat products or deli items... the SCO knows what weight it should be by what the meat weighs (according to the sticker) when the butchers weighs and packs the item. So I would blame it on dodgey butchers! lol

I was told that self-serve is meant to learn (like a human lol) about weight variations in products after many weight mismatches!... but obviously not.

SpongeHead

HSC
Haha, oh yeah alll the time :p
Yesterday, a woman tried putting her $20 in a crack in the notes out area (theres like a join there somewhere and she was feeding her note in there!) Seriously, how thick do you have to be!

Also, we have had to cover up the area between the screen and the top of the scanner with tape cause people kept putting their notes down there!

Lmao omg that is unbelievable... I bet she felt like a complete tool when u showed her where the money actually goes haha. Yep we've had people put their notes in the gap in between the screen and scanner. Oh the joys of relying on the general public's intelligence to get them through basic tasks.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Lmao omg that is unbelievable... I bed she felt like a complete tool whenu showed her where the money acutally goes haha. Yep we've had people put the notes in the gap betweens to screen and scanner. Oh the joys of relying on the general public's intelligence to get them through basic tasks.
I felt really depressed after that, at how stupid people can really be.
Another story, this is the best... About a month after we got them, someone put their credit card in the 'notes in' slot. It ACTUALLY ate their card, we had to get the keys from downstairs to open it up and extract it from the machine. Have absolutely no idea why it actually sucked it in, cause usually it doesn't take it in at all, but on this one occurance it actually did. I was lmfao for the rest of the day. Seriously, that has to be the highlight of my career at Woolies.

SpongeHead

HSC
I felt really depressed after that, at how stupid people can really be.
Another story, this is the best... About a month after we got them, someone put their credit card in the 'notes in' slot. It ACTUALLY ate their card, we had to get the keys from downstairs to open it up and extract it from the machine. Have absolutely no idea why it actually sucked it in, cause usually it doesn't take it in at all, but on this one occurance it actually did. I was lmfao for the rest of the day. Seriously, that has to be the highlight of my career at Woolies.

Omg you can't be serious... I can't believe the machine actually ate the card! How could the customer have missed the EFT machine anyway? haha I guess it serves them right but I would have pissed myself laughing if that happened to me :p:p

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Omg you can't be serious... I can't believe the machine actually ate the card! How could the customer have missed the EFT machine anyway? haha I guess it serves them right but I would have pissed myself laughing if that happened to me :p:p
I'm deadly serious, I couldn't believe it either. I still get people trying to feed their card into that slot, but it has never taken the card in since that one occasion. Miss the EFT machine? - it still happens, people try to feed it into that area that is just an empty area, they have tried to scan it like an item as well :haha:

SpongeHead

HSC
I'm deadly serious, I couldn't believe it either. I still get people trying to feed their card into that slot, but it has never taken the card in since that one occasion. Miss the EFT machine? - it still happens, people try to feed it into that area that is just an empty area, they have tried to scan it like an item as well :haha:

Hahaha geez what is it with people this days? How about this one - I'm in my uniform, my name badge clipped on my shirt, either running around helping people on self-serve or working behind the service desk doing supervisor duties and yet people STILL ask me if I work here... I dont know how much more obvious it could be, I really don't lolll

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I can't believe your mother was asked for ID (not saying she's old or anything, but clearly she'd be over 18 lol).

I believe the policy is that Food Colouring cannot be sold to minors. Same with knives etc. But there is no need to ask for ID if the person is above 18, as you can bypass the ID Check screen.
Haha yeah I know! She's in her 50's so clearly she's overage heh...thought it was odd.

Yes, vanilla essence and food colouring - not sure why but I have refused to sell it to an under-18 before, she was not a happy girl LOL.. I think in your mother's case it was just a naive operator who wasn't sure what to do when the screen came up... Is it a government law or Woolworths policy? On self serve if the customer has scanned an age restricted item a screen will come up when they hit 'finish and pay' and the attendant has to clear a screen which requires them to verify the age of the customer.
Oh ok, cool thanks! I never knew people could be desperate enough to get drunk off vanilla essence heh.

Treefeet

HSC
Woolies snags, Leek and something else (cant remeber atm) it will come to me tomorrow, when i work on ss with the new system.. as funny as it sounds, im scared. :(

oh i have a question, when someone has scanned 2 items and then they decided they don't want them anymore ( which is most likely), so you take them off one by one.. then its still left at the "pay now" screen. How do you get out of it? Just restart the bloody machine? (in the old days, you just cancel all items and be done with it! but this seems to just sit there and try and look pretty.

i have seen the manual for closing the machines.. but i dont know how to fix anything else, so hopefully tomorrow night, i wont look like a tool standing there, or else i might just close them off all together. I dont know they just couldnt leave it as it was. Or even better, NCR should come in and take away their Machines. Oh that would be gold :D

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
some of the stories on this thread are absolutely hilarious! it's amazing just how stupid some customers are!

i had a funny moment at my store tonight. it was my first time as a self-serve attendant after getting a brief run down of all the functions. while my supervisor was on his break, i heard this young girl say to some guy "it's only 50 cents" before the pair made a dash for the exit. i assumed that they had left without paying so i ran after them, but it was too late.
i told my supervisor the story when he got back. he took at look at the screen and told me that the machine had infact not dispensed all the change.
so it was a mystery why they had run off after clearly doing nothing wrong. well, that is until we saw what the purchase was: a single packet of condoms. then i kinda felt sorry for them. we assumed that the couple wasn't gonna come back to claim the 50 cents, so i donated it to charity.
at least some good came from it!

has anyone here had mystery shoppers recently? i heard that our store only got 57%. SM not very happy about that result!! less than 7 casuals on the front end have shifts next week...the belt just keeps getting tighter

HSC
has anyone here had mystery shoppers recently? i heard that our store only got 57%. SM not very happy about that result!! less than 7 casuals on the front end have shifts next week...the belt just keeps getting tighter
We didn't do very well on our mystery shopper, don't know the exact score though. Our biggest issue is that when someone is asked where something is, they don't take the customer to it.

Your rosters sound crazy. Its a public holiday here today, on the draft roster I had a full 7 hour day. That got cut to zero. Not impressed.
Its a shame when you become expensive at 17 :burn:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
We didn't do very well on our mystery shopper, don't know the exact score though. Our biggest issue is that when someone is asked where something is, they don't take the customer to it.

Your rosters sound crazy. Its a public holiday here today, on the draft roster I had a full 7 hour day. That got cut to zero. Not impressed.
Its a shame when you become expensive at 17 :burn:
They are not allowed to do that? They are not allowed to have 15 year olds on for public holidays because they are cheaper and such.
Call the union. And we were specifically told that "they can NOT cancel your hours and give them to somebody else"

HSC
They are not allowed to do that? They are not allowed to have 15 year olds on for public holidays because they are cheaper and such.
Call the union. And we were specifically told that "they can NOT cancel your hours and give them to somebody else"
But it was a draft roster. So I don't have a leg to stand on.

And no dept manager will admit outright to putting cheaper staff on. Its just, well, something we all know happens on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)