• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
We'll be packed until 9 (our old closing time) and gradually slow, after 10 will be dead.
Thats a bit like us. They will be horribly busy this arvo because all of the afternoon staff (ie me, smokeshop operator, a few after school operators) have been moved to the evening. We'll be busy until 6.30, because we aren't kicking people out at 6pm. But then it will die.

I don't know if I am supervising though, or if a manager is working late. I'd much prefer to do stock the whole night.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Not too bad. Don't know how busy it will be.
I just know we will be dead. Coz our trading hours are so packed in, we are busy all the time. But these extended trades are poorly promoted.
Fuck living in a tourist precinct. I don't even know who would come on holidays here anyway.
Yeah. My store has been pretty dead the past couple of weeks, because of school holidays. But that's weird about closing at 6pm! (We've always closed at midnight, afaik)

They hvent replied to my application or anything should i ring up and complain?
You poor, poor messed up kid. A job at Woolworths is hardly a badge of honour.
Most casuals/part timers at our age are saving for a degree at uni. At least aim a bit higher than that!

If you are genuine, you'll need to wait until they contact you. I got a reply after waiting 12 months.
Some places never reply at all, like Coles. It can be frustrating, but my suggestion is to apply to many different places that interest you.
That way you'll have a higher chance of getting a job during the christmas break. Good Luck!

Harry778

HSC
why you going back t oyour old store?

and yea, when i'm older maybe 16 or 17 depending on if they let me.
Well we moved, so my old store is like 40 mins away. But I just got my P's so I dont care about driving. The store I transferred to is SHIT AS! Not refurbished, everything is falling apart, only one supervision shift every weekend. At my old store, its refurbished with self serve, best Customer Service Manager, he loves me (he loves everyone hes heaps nice and young) I get every second week end supervision doing closes, and supervision every wednesday and the occasional cash office shift at night..every thursday and friday I think?

I asked my old (soon to be current) CSM if I will get all the supervision shifts back. He said I will be doing exactly what I was doing before I left =D SO HAPPY!

So yer, thats why I left cos we moved and my parents werent gonna drive me.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
based on tassie award for woolworths - casual rates

17 and under 18 $11.350 $11.709
18 and under 19 $14.058 $14.371
This is so exciting! I'm 18 on sunday.

Cept now I'm expensive and will probs join the list of 4-hours-a-week staff members.

On another note I feel so nice, I just rang CSM who did the appraisal for my transfer form and she was so nice! She said it was positively glowing even though she wanted to write a really horrible one so I didn't have to go!! I look forward to reading it on Thursday. Smiley face.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
You poor, poor messed up kid. A job at Woolworths is hardly a badge of honour.
Most casuals/part timers at our age are saving for a degree at uni. At least aim a bit higher than that!
You know what really pisses me off, is people who look down on those who WANT to work in the Supermarket industry. Woolworths offers fantastic training opportunities for people who want to move on up the chain. Sure you might start out on the floor 'stacking shelves' but if you work hard and show enthusiasm you end up in an office managing a large establishment.

But if you want to spend 4 pointless years of your life studying hard for a degree to end up working for a company that was laying people off during the hard economic times, while a lowly 'Supermarket' was still hiring, then you go for your life, but never spit on those who choose to stay in work.

Craven

HSC
Good question... not sure though. I think that the sales summary is now available on the computer for the office to see and most likely the signatures too. Seems silly to print them when they are already in an electronic format.
I just had 7.5 hours of SCO training today, lol, and he didn't mention this as part of the routines ?

Anyways, we were trained by someone from NCR. But the software doesn't seem as bad as everyone says. :) We were roleplaying with them and of course everyone was being difficult and trying to run off or cheat the system so it seemed really stressful but I'm sure in real life it wouldn't be that bad :p

SS-champion

HSC
I just had 7.5 hours of SCO training today, lol, and he didn't mention this as part of the routines ?

Anyways, we were trained by someone from NCR. But the software doesn't seem as bad as everyone says. :) We were roleplaying with them and of course everyone was being difficult and trying to run off or cheat the system so it seemed really stressful but I'm sure in real life it wouldn't be that bad :p
Well my original 8hr self-serve training a year ago with an NCR lady was the best really enjoyed it. :)

Do you know if you were being trained for ncr or wowpos software? And you don't realize the issues until you actually use it in the real environment. Good luck!

ekul444

HSC
N/A

Were you being trained for NCR software or WoWPoS SCO?? Im being trained for WoWPoS on Tuesday, but it is with the Area Champion - a lady from Woolworths Head Office, not NCR.
I wasn't an original attendant when we first got them, so I never got any training at all. They just stuck me in there and left me to work everything out for my self hahaha.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Woolworths offers fantastic training opportunities for people who want to move on up the chain.
Please don't take what I said out of context. I love working in retail, with a variety of different people. Woolworths is an extremely flexible company, which is great for students like us.
However...If all I ever aspired to in life was a career in retail, that would disappoint a lot of people.

Anyway, that's just how I see it. I'm sure if I'd ask my family, friends, teachers and customers...they'd all back me up.

Just forget I spoke...

LIQR7

HSC
N/A
Please don't take what I said out of context. I love working in retail, with a variety of different people. Woolworths is an extremely flexible company, which is great for students like us.
However...If all I ever aspired to in life was a career in retail, that would disappoint a lot of people.

Anyway, that's just how I see it. I'm sure if I'd ask my family, friends, teachers and customers...they'd all back me up.

Just forget I spoke...
Is that the best you could come up with ?? Pity the rest of us don't get a job or career to tell everybody else how good we are. Maybe your friends and family will look down on you for working in retail but I bet many other family's and friends of people working in retail wont! Maybe I should mention some of the people I work with ;) several of them are under 25, earn more than $60,000 plus just got a $12,000 bonus. thats right, over $72k and under 25y/o.

Like in any career, you only get what you give to it.

Last edited:

LIQR7

HSC
N/A
Ok so to summarise.

It is illegal to sell alcohol to minors (obviously)
- It is illegal or prohibited to sell alcohol when you suspect somebody is buying for a minor.

It is illegal to sell tobacco to minors (obviously)
- It is illegal or prohibited to sell tobacco when you suspect somebody is buying for a minor.

General Rule - You do not have to sell if you suspect a person has a fake ID, relatives ID, and so forth..

Thanks guys :)
Just to clarify this, you need reasonable suspicion that the person is under 18, secondary supply etc. you need to record this suspicion at the first opportunity in the incident book. the number of times i've seen staff wait until the end of the shift to record what happened 4 hours ago is just crazy.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
alright guys, lets move on now....
Your career choice should be one which you enjoy with a passion. Retail is a very important industry, and without the many hardworking and passionate people who work in the industry, we would be lost. Well done, ManicAggression, on your career choice, if retail management is a passion for you then of course pursue it to you heart's content! Best of luck for the future =]

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Well. Today was Go Live! Day for my store for WoWPos SCO. One thing to say: BRING BACK THE OLD SOFTWARE!!!

Firstly,our Area "CHAMPION" was HOPELESS! I was watching out of the corner of my eye,before I went on. The Champion was explaining things to our girls. I thought,Great,at least there is someone there to help. How wrong I was! I went on at 11,they showed me how to print my off my barcode and then they say "You will be ok on your own,right? Ok,Bye" and Walked out of the store,with me having NO IDEA how to work out any of the errors. They returned 1.5 Hours LATER,after I was gone. They then left at 1.00. At 2, One broke down. 3, another one, 4 another one and 5,another one. We ended up with 1/5 working! AGGH!!!

Also,anyone know why the red/orange lights come on,when there is no need to? Its bloddy annoying

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Well. Today was Go Live! Day for my store for WoWPos SCO. One thing to say: BRING BACK THE OLD SOFTWARE!!!

Firstly,our Area "CHAMPION" was HOPELESS! I was watching out of the corner of my eye,before I went on. The Champion was explaining things to our girls. I thought,Great,at least there is someone there to help. How wrong I was! I went on at 11,they showed me how to print my off my barcode and then they say "You will be ok on your own,right? Ok,Bye" and Walked out of the store,with me having NO IDEA how to work out any of the errors. They returned 1.5 Hours LATER,after I was gone. They then left at 1.00. At 2, One broke down. 3, another one, 4 another one and 5,another one. We ended up with 1/5 working! AGGH!!!

Also,anyone know why the red/orange lights come on,when there is no need to? Its bloddy annoying
Ive got a question, our 'Go Live' Day is tuesday 6/10. What does that mean:
->The 'conversion' happens during morning and they are open for customers to use later in the afternoon,
-> its ready to go from the time the store opens
-> the conversion happens on monday, staff are trained during the day and customers use it from tuesday.

I have training with the area champion on the monday, so i was wondering if will be training with the machines, or just 'training' as in going through the manual and watching the dvd?

Treefeet

HSC
I would say the 3rd point in ur question just then. They would more then likely update the machines on monday and you would get the training then. ready for tuesday morning. Good luck pieces of shit they are now. i want to get off s/s.

Craven

HSC
Were you being trained for NCR software or WoWPoS SCO?? Im being trained for WoWPoS on Tuesday, but it is with the Area Champion - a lady from Woolworths Head Office, not NCR.
I wasn't an original attendant when we first got them, so I never got any training at all. They just stuck me in there and left me to work everything out for my self hahaha.
Yep it is Wowpos SCO as these are our first self-serve machines being put in - they wouldn't train us in the old software now if it's just going to being changed over :p

Yellow light - weight discrepancy, intervention items (?)
Red light - assistant required, heavy item, receipt roll/dispenser money running low.

And that sucks about them breaking down, lol. We only have 5 machines also and actually one of them froze while we were training on them! :p It came unfrozen while on the phone to IT but they reset it anyway. But I'm keeping positive :p

HSC
Just to clarify this, you need reasonable suspicion that the person is under 18, secondary supply etc. you need to record this suspicion at the first opportunity in the incident book. the number of times i've seen staff wait until the end of the shift to record what happened 4 hours ago is just crazy.
I dont even think we have an incident book for situations like this. lol.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
I would say the 3rd point in ur question just then. They would more then likely update the machines on monday and you would get the training then. ready for tuesday morning. Good luck pieces of shit they are now. i want to get off s/s.
Do you know for a fact, or just guessing? Hahah thanks for the confidence booster, Im soo worried about going to work next week now :p

Yep it is Wowpos SCO as these are our first self-serve machines being put in - they wouldn't train us in the old software now if it's just going to being changed over :p
Ok, I just thought it odd that NCR people would still be doing training, but if you guys have just got them, I suppose they would have to do all the cash and actual hardware suff, not just the software re-training like we need..

Craven

HSC
Yep, we covered all that, but that only took up about an hour or so the rest of the time was roleplaying and learning techniques to deal with customers mostly! At first I was really intimidated by it but now I feel a bit more comfortable but don't think I'm confident until I've done it for real.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)