So what's the best antivirus to download? (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I was going to suggest Avira then I read your post. I use Avira and SpyBot. Just don't use McAfee, whatever you do. I'm a convert from McAfee.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Try Comodo's virus scanner. It comes with the firewall and it is quite good. It also depends on what you're looking for, if you want a virus-scanner you can close(very much like me since I like to update and scan when I want and not have it taking up resources) a lot of them you can't do it with. It is the main reason I didn't like Avast! and Avira.

AVG has fallen far behind and lost it's high spot. I never had a problem with the amount of resources it took but I always had problems with updating it. But it is all a personal preference. If you browse safely and don't be an idiot you shouldn't need an anti-virus. Malware protection is always good though and I would suggest Malware Bites.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I currently use Avast. Comodo is a very good firewall and rather mediocre scanner... but if you're getting spyware and viruses, then your computer is pretty crap and you need to learn how stay away from spyware ;)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Very much right. The best Anti-virus is safe browsing habits.

hugh2112

HSC
Avira has the highest detection rates except its a nagware. AVG is popular but has the shittest detection rates in the three freeware. Avast is good: good detection rates, not many false positives, light and quiet program. The paid version i prefer ESET NOD32 which is one of the best. Kaspersky is ranked as #1 frequently but i've never used it.

and people, you might not recommend having two antivirus programs on one computer, but PC Tools Threatfire is a good second program. it's not really an antivirus since it's purpose is to provide a secondary layer of protection. your normal antivirus provides the primary layer. and it's freeware as well. i'd recommend it.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Avira has the highest detection rates except its a nagware. AVG is popular but has the shittest detection rates in the three freeware. Avast is good: good detection rates, not many false positives, light and quiet program. The paid version i prefer ESET NOD32 which is one of the best. Kaspersky is ranked as #1 frequently but i've never used it.

and people, you might not recommend having two antivirus programs on one computer, but PC Tools Threatfire is a good second program. it's not really an antivirus since it's purpose is to provide a secondary layer of protection. your normal antivirus provides the primary layer. and it's freeware as well. i'd recommend it.
No one has ever suggested puting two AV's on the one computer. Did you read the entire thread?

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Very much right. The best Anti-virus is safe browsing habits.
this. seriously some people are so stupid.
i use avg then scan with ccleaner and malwarebytes every now and then.
never had a problem.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
this. seriously some people are so stupid.
i use avg then scan with ccleaner and malwarebytes every now and then.
never had a problem.
The FileASSASSIN tool in malwarebytes is so damn handy.
its good for prying out those goddamn files that just somehow wont let you delete them.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
The FileASSASSIN tool in malwarebytes is so damn handy.
its good for prying out those goddamn files that just somehow wont let you delete them.
Never had a virus since getting the laptop.

Laptop is now has a hardware failure.

FAAARK.

Xc3llerator

HSC
N/A
currently using avg internet security 9.0 trial ver-30 days.--So far so good

Used norton 360, Norton Int secuirty 2009, 2010, etc, their pretty good, never let me down once..

NOD32: fastest anit virus ive ever seen...My old computer even runs fast with this. Although it has a less comprehensive firewall (doesn't scan webpages for viruses)...

Anti Malwarebytes: FREE, Extremely strong, very good virus/rookit scanner, imo. The paid version just offers automatic protection, instead of you just doing the updates and scans manually...Picked up some minor cookies norton didn't pick up...(most cookies r harmless anyways)...

Mcafee: the worst anti virus program ever: slowed the cr4p out of my computer...even my friend said the same...

tried Avast Free, no anit spam?, very basic look-so plain lol...

Trend mirco...tried it once, didnt really like the look of it and the name:D...

Kaspersky: similar to Norton, but imo slower

AVG free: doesn't protect you agaisnt everthing...like rookits etc. only basic virus and spyware...don't rely on this program lol, use it when you have nothing left...

If your tight on money just use free 15-30 days trials from different comanies...thats what ive been doing recently trying to experiment which one I prefer...

NOD32 is not avaible at the shops, only online.

microsoft security essentials: havn't tried it, but looks good from the website.

BOTTOMLINE: They all do the same objective at the end of the day, so go with the one that you feel nicer with, more familiar with...

For me Norton/(360) has been tough to beat, It basically does everything you want a security program to do for you. The latest Norton 360 V 3.0, very comprehensive, but the interface is very user friendly imo. It even cleans your temp files and defrags..

Ccleaner: not a anti virus program, but very good cleaning program for your computer. cleans heaps of junk...

Hope this has helped :D good luck :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't like the business model where you have to pay each year for subscriptions to download the latest AV updates... and that's what turned me off from Norton and the like.

That being said I used to be a Norton 360 user- it was good in terms of interface for noobs, but it's a bit of a resource hog in my experience.

Now I use Avast which is free and has an awesome update system.

The other program I did use for a little while was Symantec Antivirus corporate edition (same people who make Norton). UNSW gave out licences for free to students. Pity it was a resource hog on my netbook!

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Why are you running Windows on a Netbook anyway? They don't have the power, just get one of the low-end Linux Distros, the hardware suppliers generally have their own distro for netbooks.

proletariat

HSC
A blend of Microsoft Security Essentials and Comodo Internet Security

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)