So what's the best antivirus to download? (1 Viewer)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
You have no idea how many Linux Distros there are do you? Damn Small Linux is 150mbs and it has all you need on it because it is designed to boot off a USB.

Safari has holes all through it that people will generally exploit to gain access to a Mac system. No operating system is perfect and Mac OS X is far from it.

kramxel

HSC
No it does not. It let my school down. A USB virus infected all the school computers and Norton did not detect it. The problem was not known until some people started complaining that their USBs had viruses after using them on the school computers.
same with our school. but a school environment is different from home
if there are viruses i dont bother with scanning. i just reimage my computer, faster and more effective

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You have no idea how many Linux Distros there are do you? Damn Small Linux is 150mbs and it has all you need on it because it is designed to boot off a USB.

Safari has holes all through it that people will generally exploit to gain access to a Mac system. No operating system is perfect and Mac OS X is far from it.
You're right, I do have no idea. I've only been using Linux since before you knew how to read, clearly not enough time to recognise that a distribution with 3 distinct web browsers included (one of which alone has at least as many security holes appear as webkit) is actually the epitome of bloatfree computer access. Oh, and it's also not Unix.

What operating system do you use? Can you explain to me what one would do when writing an OS to prevent privilege escalation?

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
same with our school. but a school environment is different from home
if there are viruses i dont bother with scanning. i just reimage my computer, faster and more effective
Well the only way a virus can affect our systems is if it get server side. HD Guard removes anything put onto the computer after a reboot so then we have the virus scanners as failsafes.

HSC
Hey,

AVG AND KASPERSKY ARE SHITTT HOUSE!

Stick with Avira buddy and if you're trying to remove programs, download CCleaner.

poisonthemon

HSC
That's entirely wrong. The default user account settings require a password dialogue or sudo command before you make any system wide changes, the same way you would when running as a non root user in Linux. Further, the 10.5-10.6 kernels have both been unix certified (which Linux is not). Any Linux OS comes with far more preinstalled software than OSX does, and any windows PC from the common vendors comes flooded with insecure crapware and (perhaps more critically) Internet Explorer. Finally the fact that you think Photoshop works seamlessly on OS X shows you're completely oblivious to Adobe's retarded development process, and the idea that nothing else does shows you've never actually used a Mac.
POSIX certification means little, because there is more than one standard. GNU/Linux, for the most part, behaves more or less exactly like a traditional UNIX system V setup: Monolithic kernel, kernel level system calls and compliant shells (or X server) handle the user interaction. OSX, on the other, can have the UNIX-y stuff ripped right out from underneath it, as the micro kernel has most of those calls running as a service on top of the kernel. Even X has been taken away and replaced with Quartz.

To say that POSIX compliance is the only indicator that something behaves like UNIX should is patently absurd, as UNIX extensions can be loaded onto Windows to make it POSIX compliant. I would hardly call Windows in any form UNIX, and the same goes for OSX. I can waddle around and quack all I want, but by no stretch of the imagination am I actually a duck

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
POSIX certification means little, because there is more than one standard. GNU/Linux, for the most part, behaves more or less exactly like a traditional UNIX system V setup: Monolithic kernel, kernel level system calls and compliant shells (or X server) handle the user interaction. OSX, on the other, can have the UNIX-y stuff ripped right out from underneath it, as the micro kernel has most of those calls running as a service on top of the kernel. Even X has been taken away and replaced with Quartz.

To say that POSIX compliance is the only indicator that something behaves like UNIX should is patently absurd, as UNIX extensions can be loaded onto Windows to make it POSIX compliant. I would hardly call Windows in any form UNIX, and the same goes for OSX. I can waddle around and quack all I want, but by no stretch of the imagination am I actually a duck
You've mixed your analogies. What you're saying is that if you're a member of Anatidae but you don't waddle or quack (qualities people have come to expect from ducks), you're not a duck. I'm not the one who implied the certification was terribly important, I was just correcting our friend here who seems to have very little idea about what OSX is.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Avast Free 5.0. Full Stop, does everything you want a anti virus program to do, completely free of charge...what more could you want...If you do internet banking or shop online consider getting the paid (higher/pro) version, for about $40.

ional10

HSC
Free:
1) Avira antivirus is good (except for the annoying popups, which can be fixed here: Disabling Avira Antivir's Pop-up Advertisements - TechSpot )

2) MSE (Microsoft security essentials) this is useful as well, but avira is much better.

Paid: I've used Spyware doctor with antivirus since 2005 and it's detected lots of malicious threats online - so i highly recommend it

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
You're aware Chrome detects malware on sites itself, thus eliminating the need for an active malware check.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
You're aware Chrome detects malware on sites itself, thus eliminating the need for an active malware check.
link plz :D...Plus I still think once hackers work out Google chrome..rookits would still get through, probably even now as we speak...

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Google advertises it all over its sites.

And one of the sites(happens to be the referee site I need for my appointments) I go to is poorly protected and keeps getting attacked and Chrome keeps telling me where the Malware comes from. It's pretty useful actually, it just uses Google's database or something to determine whether it has Malware on it or not.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Google advertises it all over its sites.

And one of the sites(happens to be the referee site I need for my appointments) I go to is poorly protected and keeps getting attacked and Chrome keeps telling me where the Malware comes from. It's pretty useful actually, it just uses Google's database or something to determine whether it has Malware on it or not.
I take it that firefox is similar only that hackers have worked it out now...and translate viruses through java scripts etc...

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
rx34 said:
I like avast!
And I like your mother. I don't see how me liking your mother is going to make someone else like her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)