Should i move to adv english or stay in standard? (1 Viewer)

kevin321

HSC
At the end of the prelim course i came 2nd/100 roughly and lost to a very close margin (about .5% at a school rank of 140)
I have the choice of moving to advanced but i was wondering which would be the safer option to get me a mark of 84+
if i retained my rank in standard i would perhaps get 86 or 87 however a few of the standard people got tutors and theyre closing the gap of writing quality very quickly so im not sure if i can retain top few spots
my school avg for stndard is about 69 and for advanced about 81/82 with 65 people in advanced

Osborn

HSC
I honestly honestly honestly think you should move to Advanced English
From what I hear, it isn't all that harder from Standard! My school doesn't even offer standard -
and the aligning is far far superior! If I recall correctly, only 0.6% of students get a Band Six in Standard and 3-4% get a Band Five?
I feel you have a much much better chance in Advanced!

gunat61

HSC
imo i reckon you should move to advanced. your school rank isn't too bad so that means i reckon you'd be capable of doing advanced. also, if the average is a lot higher for advanced, that will definitely help you out in the long run even if you can't be right at the top.

greenboxes

HSC
N/A
If you're topping standard, you should be doing advanced! The difference in difficulty is minute

enoilgam

HSC
DO ADVANCED. Standard aligns poorly with less than 5% of people getting 80+ and only 64/32,000 getting a band 6 last year (this year I reakon it will be 75ish).

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Move to Advanced. It's only going to benefit you.

yours

HSC
do advanced the workload is actually the same and your cohort will assure you better marks in the end.

kevin321

HSC
i need more feedback!
if i do advanced i reckon i can only get about rank 40/70 because i know some of the students who are better than me there
but in stndard im 2nd so im on track for about 85 english mark
in advanced i probably have to crawl up to 25-30/70 to get 85 ?

lockedbox

HSC
If you like it and think that you're doing well then I think you should stay where you are. The cohort may not be as sophisticated as advanced but Ifound that the standard modules are much easier to work with and the texts are easier to understand and work with.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Joining Advanced is a much better idea - 99% of the time you will do better in Advanced than Standard. If you take standard - I expect the very best you'd get is in the mid-80s and that could easily drop to the 70s even if you're killing Standard (Rank 2). You can probably take on Advanced and get top 20 still giving most likely a better mark.

Difficulty: Roughly the same.
Aligning: Advanced by far.
Scaling: Roughly the same - Advanced has the slight edge.

Advanced is the way to go - not many people have an opportunity to change.

Last edited:

mupzbra

HSC
Trust me bra, do standard. i did advanced and droped to standard now i think ill get a mark of like 94, its easy as faurk and aligns the same. All dese gangas just tell u to do adv cause they know they will beat u and hence give them a bettter mark. they just want self profit bra trust me do standard and ace it itz what i did and ill get mid band 6 easy as

enoilgam

HSC
Trust me bra, do standard. i did advanced and droped to standard now i think ill get a mark of like 94, its easy as faurk and aligns the same. All dese gangas just tell u to do adv cause they know they will beat u and hence give them a bettter mark. they just want self profit bra trust me do standard and ace it itz what i did and ill get mid band 6 easy as
Standard aligns poorly, last year less than 5% got 80+ with only 64/32,000 getting a band 6 (SOURCE: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2010_12_15130.html).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Advanced for sure. Doing a bit above average in Advanced will likely be equivalent to almost topping standard. Forget the ranks, if you think you can get mid 80s in standard despite the horrible aligning then you can get it in advanced as well - if not better.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you like it and think that you're doing well then I think you should stay where you are. The cohort may not be as sophisticated as advanced but Ifound that the standard modules are much easier to work with and the texts are easier to understand and work with.
^ Bad advice.

Standard is Standard. Move to Advanced if you're any good at English.

You're an idiot. Please leave the forum. Oh wait, you got banned - so you just did LOLOLOLOLOLOL

srsly, standard aligns poorly - do advanced.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
If you care to wander over to the 2011 hsc section you'll notice a buttload of people lamenting their choice of doing standard.

Advanced all da wai guyz! In fact, 4U all da wai!

cssftw

HSC
All these ppl saying that standard is the same difficulty as advanced are fucking idiots.

Advanced is ADVANCED english -- it encourages a deeper appreciation and understanding of the texts, contextual impact, textual integrity blah blah blah.

Standard ---> as long as you know techniques, effects, themes, and can answer the question --> you will get 19/20 for your essay. Same doesn't happen for advanced, you'd probably get 12-13/20 for a similar essay

thats the reason standard aligns so shit --> it's because its unfair to the peeps in advanced that work so hard during the year, whereas in standard all u do is muck around and still get A's.

smartalec

HSC
agreed above.
standard is like. memorising themes and following peel.
the texts are harder. (e.g. you have to do shakespeare) you need to appreciate context more, develop strong thesis' and be ready for questions that can throw you off guard.
ive seen the standard papers they like scream for a prepreapred response they are so broad.
english advanced is ADVANCED. standard is. standard - the required.
if you enjoy english, def try it. However, if you reckon you can get an 87 in standard id actually recommend you stay - thats better than a low band 5 in advanced coz its so difficult to get an 87 in standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)