School funding (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
mr_shittles said:
That's not always true. Someone once told me that the diff between a public school and a private school is this. If something goes wrong at a public school its front page news the next day, but if it happens at a high profile private school, they'll pay a heap of money to cover it up and protect their reputation.

Public schools, by virtue of the fact that they are govt run, are clearly more transparent and accountable than most private schools.
must we mention the trinity debacle?

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
mr_shittles said:
That's not always true. Someone once told me that the diff between a public school and a private school is this. If something goes wrong at a public school its front page news the next day, but if it happens at a high profile private school, they'll pay a heap of money to cover it up and protect their reputation.

Public schools, by virtue of the fact that they are govt run, are clearly more transparent and accountable than most private schools.
Trust me it isn't true. Everyone watches private schools to see them put a step wrong so that they can be like 'Hah, whats the point cos they stuff up as well!' so yeah.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
im more inclined to think that the media gets more kicks in picking out a private school...for instance my school (St Gregs) was page 3 news for a video showing a kid getting pushed around a little...like come on...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
waterfowl said:
So.....?
And anyway all my public schools encouraged us to do co-curricular activities, I found it quite annoying.
Yeah, I'm sure you'd much rather spend your time at Jesus camp.:)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
waterfowl said:
See that's my point....it doesn't matter if it's public or private!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/On-film-students-abusing-bus-driver/2005/05/06/1115092657426.html
Not helping the stereotype....private school kids act up on a bus, even after being warned/talked to; and after the bus driver takes them to the safe bus depot as opposed to just dropping them off anywhere...the parents threaten to charge him for kidnapping...pff!
You obviously haven't seen my brother's public school on the bus.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
private schools - its a school system made for parents who work overtime and dont have time to even see or bond with their kids. Hence they send them to private schools to say that they invested in their kids, even if their kids turn out like shit. Either that or parents are willing to spend out money on private schools because of the names, Like "Kings" or "Hills grammar"...just to show off.
private schools is the most profitable school system ever made and also the dumbest bloody idea. Stupid system seperates students.

tempco

HSC
Vangineer said:
private schools - its a school system made for parents who work overtime and dont have time to even see or bond with their kids. Hence they send them to private schools to say that they invested in their kids, even if their kids turn out like shit.
public schools - its a school system for parents who dont give a damn about theyre kids while they sit at home, leeching off the dole. if theyre kids turn out awesome, they take all the credit.

Vagineer said:
Either that or parents are willing to spend out money on private schools because of the names, Like "Kings" or "Hills grammar"...just to show off.
private schools is the most profitable school system ever made and also the dumbest bloody idea. Stupid system seperates students.
you sure dont have any faith in parents. maybe theyre doing it for the good of their kids? well, showing off might be true in some rare cases, but not the majority. frankly, your arguments dont seem to be constructive enough to judge the private system.

jennylim

HSC
Vangineer said:
private schools - its a school system made for parents who work overtime and dont have time to even see or bond with their kids. Hence they send them to private schools to say that they invested in their kids, even if their kids turn out like shit. Either that or parents are willing to spend out money on private schools because of the names, Like "Kings" or "Hills grammar"...just to show off.
I'd be careful if I were you, Vangineer. In some respects you're starting to sound like you're merely jealous...your arguments certainly are illogical, based on rampant generalisations and are simply derogatory with no purpose. Private schools definitely have a place in society and your unwillingness to accept this is really rather recalcitrant.

jebbie

HSC
jennylim said:
I'd be careful if I were you, Vangineer. In some respects you're starting to sound like you're merely jealous...your arguments certainly are illogical, based on rampant generalisations and are simply derogatory with no purpose. Private schools definitely have a place in society and your unwillingness to accept this is really rather recalcitrant.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jennylim again. :D

Generator

HSC
N/A
I like it how nobody is 'allowed' to claim that non-public schools have no place in society. It is a valid point, if somewhat radical given the status quo. It isn't necessarily one that I (or many others) would support to the hilt, though. Still, that doesn't mean that it should just be dismissed.

I agree with the notion that non-public schools are becoming increasingly divisive. I also think that the myth of the crumbling public system is an injustice to us all that must be dealt with in an effective manner as soon as possible. The non-public system has a place, but only as an alternative to a well-resourced and educationally productive public system. Nobody deserves a below-par education (be it real or imagined).

Edit: I would just like to say that my below-par point was made with reference to a common (world class) benchmark standard, not a belief in that all schools should be the same in a 'commie' sense.

Last edited:

jebbie

HSC
Generator said:
The non-public system has a place, but only as an alternative to a well-resourced and educationally productive public system.
I never suggested it was anything else. Except that I do not believe that currently all public schools are as well-resourced and educationally productive. But thats an opinion. And no one can tell me that is wrong.

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
Personally, the quality of public schools these days is vastly declining. The teachers are demanding more money, yet their teaching methods are decreasing in quality. i have to admit though, you do get your randoms who are excellent.

kirabolton

HSC
I have a major issue with private schools, not because they have better stuff really, if parents wish to send their children there, go ahead. But i hate it how the government gives them a huge amount of funding...for gods sake, do they even bother to look at the state of some of our public schools? Also, stupid private school kids of buses piss me off. I never see private school kids offer seats to adults, it's funny you'd think it would be the other way around. And i know that a lot of them can be loud brats on the bus, they have no respect for the driver, or system which allows them free rides. Like, for example, i was going home of the school bus the other day (which i might add is so incredibly packed) and this kid up the back presses the button every stop. I'm almost positive it was a private school kid coz all the public ones were standing and older than the private school kids. So, everytime this happened the bus driver would sit and wait for a while until someone apologised. He even said the kid wouldn't get in trouble he just wanted a sorry. No kid ever apologised. Eventually i just asked the bus driver whether he could ignore it and just report us, but ergh...then everytime the bus driver would start again after waiting they start clapping and jeering, everything was such a joke to them, they are pains in the ass

jebbie

HSC
kirabolton said:
I have a major issue with private schools, not because they have better stuff really, if parents wish to send their children there, go ahead. But i hate it how the government gives them a huge amount of funding...for gods sake, do they even bother to look at the state of some of our public schools? Also, stupid private school kids of buses piss me off. I never see private school kids offer seats to adults, it's funny you'd think it would be the other way around. And i know that a lot of them can be loud brats on the bus, they have no respect for the driver, or system which allows them free rides. Like, for example, i was going home of the school bus the other day (which i might add is so incredibly packed) and this kid up the back presses the button every stop. I'm almost positive it was a private school kid coz all the public ones were standing and older than the private school kids. So, everytime this happened the bus driver would sit and wait for a while until someone apologised. He even said the kid wouldn't get in trouble he just wanted a sorry. No kid ever apologised. Eventually i just asked the bus driver whether he could ignore it and just report us, but ergh...then everytime the bus driver would start again after waiting they start clapping and jeering, everything was such a joke to them, they are pains in the ass
Such an generalisation. I used to travel at a minimum 2 hours on public transport a day and I would spend the majority of it standing up as there were no other seats and I had given up my seat. Thats how we are supposed to act. There are badly behaved people in both public and private schools. Its like making a generalisation such as ethnics are idiots - there are idiots, brats, dickheads in every nationality :/

big_ticket

HSC
N/A
kirabolton said:

The issue about private school funding is quite irrelavent. As for every child that attends a private school the government actually saves money. Yes, saves money. The funding received actually makes private schools affordable. Some argue that the amount of facilities a private school has shows how well off it is and therefore doesn't need the funding. Well if public schools charged 16000-18 000+ a year, then im sure public facilities would be the same. The issue of funding public schools is a matter for the state government, not the federal government.
Funny thing... i've never ever seen a public school kid give up their seat. A generalisation, just like the one you have made. I could continue by saying that kids in the public system are frequent truants, have less respect for their teachers and aren't aware that the uniform they wear everyday to school actually means something.......all gross generalisations, i might add.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
kirabolton said:
Apart from the one possibly factual point you made about funding (which is incidentally not true at all), your argument is full of your personal opinions of private school students behaviours. You took one situation and then applied your judgemental opinion to all private school students. When you actually have a valid point to make in your favor against these private schools and when you can tell me that you've personally met every single private school student and can vouch for their "pain in the ass" behaviour, then come back and give us actual reasoning.

and I think we missed out on a good point by wikiwikie

wikiwiki said:
The majority of people who send their kids to private schools arent wealthy - they work really hard to pay for their kids education ... It's sad that the majority of people sending kids to private schools are doing so because the public education system is underfunded and hamstrung by stupid policies but that doesnt mean private schools dont have a role in society.
I am not at our local public high school purely because my parents felt it that it was not an up to standard school and they work hard to keep me and my sister here. That's unfortunately the way it is occasionally and you really cannot discount that point.

kirabolton

HSC
Ok, so i made a generalisation, what are you going to do, shoot me? Whinge whinge, the government so doesn't give us money blah blah...i don't care! What i know is that there are so many public schools out there which are just in a terrible state, and i know that money solves these sorts of problems. You don't see a private school on the news because the classrooms get to above 40 degrees. And frankly i don't care if your parents work hard to send you to a private school, it's still the same thing, the public system sucks because nobody has any faith in it anymore and so why should the government give money to something nobody has faith in? It sucks for us who either can't afford to be sent to a private school, or who have the personality that allows us to be disciplaned and respectful without it being drilled into us.

jebbie

HSC
kirabolton said:
It sucks for us who either can't afford to be sent to a private school, or who have the personality that allows us to be disciplaned and respectful without it being drilled into us.
It also sucks being at a public school where no one else has discipline and you would be better off teaching yourself then wasting time in actually going to school :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)