School funding (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
kirabolton said:
Ok, so i made a generalisation, what are you going to do, shoot me? Whinge whinge, the government so doesn't give us money blah blah...i don't care! What i know is that there are so many public schools out there which are just in a terrible state, and i know that money solves these sorts of problems. You don't see a private school on the news because the classrooms get to above 40 degrees. And frankly i don't care if your parents work hard to send you to a private school, it's still the same thing, the public system sucks because nobody has any faith in it anymore and so why should the government give money to something nobody has faith in? It sucks for us who either can't afford to be sent to a private school, or who have the personality that allows us to be disciplaned and respectful without it being drilled into us.
I did not whinge that the government does not give us money. I merely, disagreed with your incorrect view that the government gives private schools huge amounts of funding. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find a private school student who "whinges" about government funding.

Also you cannot blame the private school system for the state of public schools. Blame the government all you want but you cannot blame private schools or the students.

The government should improve public education, I agree but by getting mad at private schools isn't really the answer to your problems.

kirabolton

HSC
Tulipa said:
The government should improve public education, I agree but by getting mad at private schools isn't really the answer to your problems.

Oh yeaaah!

Oh yes, and i guess i would be 'hard - pressed' to find a private school kid who whinges about governent funding, you knoooow why??? I'm sure you do.

I really should straighten up something though, i don't think that all private school kids are stuck up whinging prats, and i know that lots of public school kids are horrible as well, i'm just annoyed at the state of public schools. I suppose that's what we get for voting liberal.

*Scarlet

HSC
N/A
big_ticket said:
The issue about private school funding is quite irrelavent. As for every child that attends a private school the government actually saves money. Yes, saves money. The funding received actually makes private schools affordable. Some argue that the amount of facilities a private school has shows how well off it is and therefore doesn't need the funding. Well if public schools charged 16000-18 000+ a year, then im sure public facilities would be the same. The issue of funding public schools is a matter for the state government, not the federal government.
Funny thing... i've never ever seen a public school kid give up their seat. A generalisation, just like the one you have made. I could continue by saying that kids in the public system are frequent truants, have less respect for their teachers and aren't aware that the uniform they wear everyday to school actually means something.......all gross generalisations, i might add.
You are absolutely right about the private school funding bit.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
kirabolton said:
Oh yeaaah!

Oh yes, and i guess i would be 'hard - pressed' to find a private school kid who whinges about governent funding, you knoooow why??? I'm sure you do.

I really should straighten up something though, i don't think that all private school kids are stuck up whinging prats, and i know that lots of public school kids are horrible as well, i'm just annoyed at the state of public schools. I suppose that's what we get for voting liberal.
Sarcasm gets you nowhere.

Get the fuck over it. You go to one school, I go to another. Why is it a big deal?

Personally I'm sick to death of public schools hating us because our parents pay more school fees for our education. Yes I'm sorry that you may not be able to afford to go to a private school but if you really want to learn and do well, you would just do it rather than complain and blame the state of your resources. No, before you jump on me, I am not insinuating that public schools have the same facilities as private schools because that's simply not true.

However once again, get over it. Blame the government, stop railing against private schools.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Way to go with that stupid post.

For your information , my parents could afford private school fees, I just went to a better school that happened to be public.

Who gives a shit about facilities? if you are an average student, you are an average student no matter how much money your parents spend.

If you are above average, you will succeed anywhere (assuming you can accept the brainwashing).

I don't think average intelligence students should get an education at all.

What? that sounds ridiculous? Exactly! It is a stupid thing to say, just like your post.
uh sorry wikiwiki, i was purely annoyed at kirabolton.

the whole average student, average education? above average student, above average education? i agree.

was purely responding to asinine comments that didn't have to do with you.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
blame the government for public schools being crap and having absolutely nothing that isnt out of date in them but who do we blame for blazer-wearing pricks that are so up themselves on the bus and train. its like they own the whole place (well their parents actually do), so its natural for public school angst to come through but im sure they're not all like that.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Sarcasm gets you nowhere.

Get the fuck over it. You go to one school, I go to another. Why is it a big deal?

However once again, get over it. Blame the government, stop railing against private schools.
Nobody should just get over it if they feel that the status quo should be challenged, and non-public schools cannot just be removed from this debate in the way that you suggest. Besides, the government is considered as being at fault the current time (surprise, surprise), so there is no need state that someone's complaints are misguided merely because they choose make their point by focusing on a highly visible aspect of the issue, that being the non-public system in general.

Just learn to live with the fact that some may not agree with your point of view and that it will be challenged from time to time. You cannot go through life believing that those 'beneath you' should just 'get over it'.

kirabolton

HSC
you know, maybe i am being annoying and only looking at one side of it, but so are you, so before you tell me to get over maybe you should do the same thing. Besides, i am entitled to my opinion and just because you think it's wrong and that i should get over it doesn't mean i should or will. And i never really meant i hated private school kids and private schools, i mean, yes i do dislike them to a degree, but as you pointed out, it's should be more directed at the government.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Generator said:
Nobody should just get over it if they feel that the status quo should be challenged ... Besides, the government is considered as being at fault the current time (surprise, surprise), so there is no need state that someone's complaints are misguided merely because they choose make their point by focusing on a highly visible aspect of the issue, that being the non-public system in general..
Bitching about it in an online forum isnt exactly going to change anything either. I suggest stop whinging and buck up.

elisabeth

HSC
The thing I dislike about the issue is parents who assume the only way to get a good education is through private schools - both those who are wealthy, part of the old boy network and attended only private schools themselves (and therefore have no knowledge to judge public schools with), and those who scrimp and save to send their kid to a private school.

Now I know that some public schools are really dodgy, and if your local ones are, many you'd want to send your kid elsewhere. (Note: maybe spending the money on a house in a better area would kill two birds with one stone...) But if there are decent public schools around...?

I can understand a parent's desire for their child to succeed and get a good education, but I would rather instil good values in them and have my kids work hard to get it than send them off to a private school and assume that because I'm paying $x thousand a year, they'll get it.

Hell, more than anything I don't get why people who can't afford to send their kids to private schools do... what's wrong with working hard in a public school and then spending those huge sums of money on a uni degree?

I think schools should get a certain amount of funding (based on needs to meet a certain standard, not necessarily per student) and then schools most in need of upgrading should get additional funds to bring their facilities up to scratch. But meh, I don't know much about economics... still, in theory that's what I think should happen.

Generator

HSC
N/A
jebbie said:
Bitching about it in an online forum isnt exactly going to change anything either. I suggest stop whinging and buck up.
'Tough luck, that's your lot and you have to just live with it'. Great frame of mind, jebbie. I can see that you will go far.

jebbie

HSC
Generator said:
'Tough luck, that's your lot and you have to just live with it'. Great frame of mind, jebbie. I can see that you will go far.
Sarcasm wont help either. Unless you weren't being sarcastic.. Even so it wouldnt help :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
jebbie said:
Sarcasm wont help either. Unless you weren't being sarcastic.. Even so it wouldnt help :p
Why is it that some "have nots" choose to try to pull others down rather then trying to push themselves up?
I understand people who want more funding for public schools, I don't understand people who think that this means we should remove funding for private schools.

jebbie

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Why is it that some "have nots" choose to try to pull others down rather then trying to push themselves up?
I understand people who want more funding for public schools, I don't understand people who think that this means we should remove funding for private schools.
If they have such an issue with not enough funding then they should reach into their own products.

Im pretty sure the reason why private schools might receive more funding is because they ahve more students. Aren't all schools paid in reference to the number of students? I dont know. And right now Im not caring either

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
jebbie said:
If they have such an issue with not enough funding then they should reach into their own products.

Im pretty sure the reason why private schools might receive more funding is because they ahve more students. Aren't all schools paid in reference to the number of students? I dont know. And right now Im not caring either
Private schools recieve much less government funding, they recieve more funding because of private contributions.

Private schools get more FEDERAL GOVERNMENT funding, however total state+federal government funding definately favours public schools.

get_born

i go to a private school and although you gotta pay alot, and im always complaining...ive had so many opportunities to leave...i just always find myself coming back.

jebbie

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Private schools recieve much less government funding, they recieve more funding because of private contributions.

Private schools get more FEDERAL GOVERNMENT funding, however total state+federal government funding definately favours public schools.
Thats what I thought but I wasnt going to say it if someone was going to bite my head off :/

elisabeth

HSC
jebbie said:
Yeah, because that's so feasible in low income areas. It's not like people have a right to a free education or anything, there are more important things to pay taxes for, like war and politicians' salaries. :rolleyes:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
elisabeth said:
Yeah, because that's so feasible in low income areas. It's not like people have a right to a free education or anything, there are more important things to pay taxes for, like war and politicians' salaries. :rolleyes:
You don't essentially have a 'right' to free education, tho I do think it should be something that all rich countries should strive for.

As for in low income area's, you have to realise that SOME public schools are filled with people from fairly rich families, don't you think due to this public schools should be "means tested" in the same way as private schools are?

jebbie

HSC
wikiwiki said:
If the public education system was properly funded then private schools would be a less appealing option to most parents.
......Says who?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)