School funding (2 Viewers)

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Tulipa said:
Are you saying that the reason "I would like to give my child a good education" is not a valid one? Before you argue, yes I know that in public schools good educations are provided but it is a personal choice and one that many parents make.

Beg pardon but what exactly is the life? Also of all the private school people I know maybe two or three have lawyers for parents. Added to that, no one I know at private schools wants to be a lawyer, do Law yes maybe but in a double degree. So really broad generalisation.

I go to an Indendepent Catholic school where girls will have brothers at Joeys, Riverview etc. On the North Shore, there are many private yet very good schools. When we moved here, we looked at a number of different high schools and my parents thought that it'd be better not to send us to public high schools. They had been to public high schools in the states and in all honesty the system over there is so much better than here.

To address the issue of funding, I would have to agree with the comments jebbie and not that bright made, without funding to private schools the fees would increase (perhaps drastically, maybe not) however it would lead to a large number of students not being able to further attend because of the fee increases. Unfortunately Sydney public high schools do not appear to have the ability to handle this. Also to make all schools public, an impossible idea, it would lead to less funding for everyone.
Yay. A wise well informed post yet again :D Tulipa to the rescue.

jebbie

HSC
Tulipa said:
thanx jebbie :) but i'm just waiting for someone to get mad at me and call me a snob
Don't you love that?

A good example being; I was catching the train home the other day (in my school uniform, as I was coming home from school) with my friends and these public school girls got on and they sat right next to us and starting bitching about us, sayign loudly all this crap about private school bitches. Made me so angry, I wanted to get up and bloody yell at them, slap them, punch them or something but my friend stopped me cos she's like don't make a scene. :/ I would have enjoyed making a scene though..

Generator

HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Are you saying that the reason "I would like to give my child a good education" is not a valid one? Before you argue, yes I know that in public schools good educations are provided but it is a personal choice and one that many parents make.

But why use that argument? Is it in anyway tangible, or is it merely part of an escapist mindset? That's what I'm asking.

Edit: Please keep in mind that this is in the context of parents going beyond their financial capacity.

Last edited:

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
jebbie said:
A good example being; I was catching the train home the other day (in my school uniform, as I was coming home from school) with my friends and these public school girls got on and they sat right next to us and starting bitching about us, sayign loudly all this crap about private school bitches. Made me so angry, I wanted to get up and bloody yell at them, slap them, punch them or something but my friend stopped me cos she's like don't make a scene. :/ I would have enjoyed making a scene though..
No doubt you would have been worked, if you attempted to confront them.

jebbie

HSC
leetom said:
No doubt you would have been worked, if you attempted to confront them.
As if. These were like year 8 chicks. I'm year 12 and its not like I've never been in a fight. It was so frustrating having to listen to them.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Generator said:
But why use that argument? Is it in anyway tangible, or is it merely part of an escapist mindset? That's what I'm asking.

Edit: Please keep in mind that this is in the context of parents going beyond their financial capacity.
I understand that, and yes I do know of parents that have sent their children to private schools that were, in reality, beyond their financial capabilities. Their reasoning? They wanted their children to get a good education. A struggling single mother sent her son to Kings and her daughter to Tara in the hopes that they'd get the best education possible. She worked two jobs and is still working hard to pay for everything.

So yes I believe it is a tangible reason. I also wish that the stereotype that any kid who goes to a private school is an uptight snobby bitch/asshole would go away because like most stereotypes, it simply is not true in the vast majority of cases.

Generator

HSC
N/A
A good/better education. Why is it a better education? Why sacrifice time and money for such a school when there are other means of ensuring that your kids are successful in life (be it partially through a cheaper non-public school or the public system)? Etc.

I would like to know whether there is a sound basis for such claims and actions or whether its just an instance of 'white flight'.

jebbie

HSC
Generator said:
A good/better education. Why is it a better education? Why sacrifice time and money for such a school when there are other means of ensuring that your kids are successful in life (be it partially through a cheaper non-public school or the public system)? Etc.

I would like to know whether there is a sound basis for such claims and actions or whether its just an instance of 'white flight'.
No one can say that they don't receive better facilities in most cases. Most being a generalisatin but that is a possible reason why they do decide to do so.

waterfowl

HSC
Tulipa said:
So yes I believe it is a tangible reason. I also wish that the stereotype that any kid who goes to a private school is an uptight snobby bitch/asshole would go away because like most stereotypes, it simply is not true in the vast majority of cases.
That stereotype will go away as soon as the stereotype that a better education is achievable at a private school goes away.

jebbie said:
No one can say that they don't receive better facilities in most cases. Most being a generalisatin but that is a possible reason why they do decide to do so.
Facilities don't really matter if you do all theory subjects.

jebbie

HSC
waterfowl said:
That stereotype will go away as soon as the stereotype that a better education is achievable at a private school goes away.

Facilities don't really matter if you do all theory subjects.
But Private schools incourage people to do more co-curricular activities..

waterfowl

HSC
jebbie said:
But Private schools incourage people to do more co-curricular activities..
So.....?
And anyway all my public schools encouraged us to do co-curricular activities, I found it quite annoying.

jebbie

HSC
waterfowl said:
So.....?
And anyway all my public schools encouraged us to do co-curricular activities, I found it quite annoying.
My public school didn't to the extent that both my Private Schools have :/ Maybe its the school. Anyway its a personal choice..

waterfowl

HSC
Last edited:

jebbie

HSC
waterfowl said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/On-film-students-abusing-bus-driver/2005/05/06/1115092657426.html
Not helping the stereotype....private school kids act up on a bus, even after being warned/talked to; and after the bus driver takes them to the safe bus depot as opposed to just dropping them off anywhere...the parents threaten to charge him for kidnapping...pff!
Yet if a similar incident happened through a Public School ti wouldnt attract such attention. :/

And as to the comment it depends what school, I meant it as in some schools alot of the parents donate money to the school (alot of Public Schools in the Eastern suburbs) and therefore it is just like a Private School, with the parent's contribution they have better facilities.

Prehaps the reason for Private schools is because Public school standards have dropped and rather then move so the children will be in the right area to attend, the feeding area, they decide to spend the extra cash on sending them to a Private.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Guys seriously this thread is just a reliving of the numerous other threads that lurk around the boards about private/public schooling debates.

It's been argued about before many a times and it always attracts the same following.

Could this thread please be closed?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Cape said:
What was wrong with ms king? She is so nice! She still kept in contact with me during my first yr of uni :)
she is nice!

i was just saying that she'd probably bitch slap a few people in here.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
she is nice!

i was just saying that she'd probably bitch slap a few people in here.
hehe .. .so true. Bitch slap them and give them a 5 hour lecture :D

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
jebbie said:
Yet if a similar incident happened through a Public School ti wouldnt attract such attention. :/
That's not always true. Someone once told me that the diff between a public school and a private school is this. If something goes wrong at a public school its front page news the next day, but if it happens at a high profile private school, they'll pay a heap of money to cover it up and protect their reputation.

Public schools, by virtue of the fact that they are govt run, are clearly more transparent and accountable than most private schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)