School funding (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
wikiwiki said:
So, private schools are really good at absolutely nothing, since that is what the HSC teaches us.

I attended an "asian dominated" selective school and I can tell you, the problems with english had far more to do with the poor quality of english teachers (BOS politics) then it did the asians.

I was challenging ALL education in this state. The fact is, the HSC doesn't work and as a result, the UAI doesn't work.

Private schools are really good at manufacturing UAI's, as are selective schools. I can tell you straight out that the best people in terms of potential at my school didn't even get a HSC. Of the people who got 99 + only one actually has potential, rather than studying prowess.
For once I agree completely with you.

All we are ever taught in class is the best way to answer HSC questions rather than actually learning skills for university ie research, creative thinking. My extension English class is all about how to answer HSC questions, get a good UAI and get scaled up. I took this class because I thought it would be a creative one, with class discussion and more in depth thinking, research and imaginative thinking than regular english. However it's just another way to get a good UAI. Same with extension 2 English. I get sick of hearing from my teachers that my idea won't get me marks. I don't fuckin care, it's a creative course.

IMO the education system in NSW is quite screwed up. It'll get you into uni if you are good at memorising but really what is it teaching you in the long run?

Maybe we should be looking at the problems in the education system instead of petty arguments about the differences between private and public school.

tempco

HSC
Tulipa said:
Maybe we should be looking at the problems in the education system instead of petty arguments about the differences between private and public school.
it was only inevitable that this argument would start to float towards our screwed up education system anyway.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the reason why classes are taught to answer the hsc rather than study a subject is because the hsc is badly structured, and my ancient history teacher connects this with post-modernists taking over the syllabus. the english syllabus seems to be giant feminist discourse that are continually critical of men and authority and we really dont learn about english.

teachers are told to mark to outcomes, so of course some ideas wont fulfil those outcomes and all students are forced to conform to one system. i was recommended to do ext 2 english but i didnt want to do it because the marking is way too subjective and designed so that only students who do a,b and c will get the marks, so i did ext 2 maths instead because i knew exactly what answer they wanted.

if the hsc was about learning as opposed to being taught to learn, what would all those $50/hr english tutors that write essays for stupid kids to memorise do?

Generator

HSC
N/A
*bump*

Labor reveals school funding plan

Labor reveals school funding plan
PM - Thursday, 6 April , 2006 18:22:00
Reporter: Louise Yaxley

MARK COLVIN: The Federal Opposition is trying to bury the education policy that its former leader Mark Latham took to the last election.

Labor has only got an extremely sketchy outline of its new plan, so it's decided to try to sell the broad concept of promising more for all schools.

It's a way of distancing itself from the previous policy, which would have cut funding to some of the wealthiest private schools.

And as Louise Yaxley reports, the Federal Government is also moving to make some changes to school funding.

[continued - see link]

Generator

HSC
N/A
Insiders: Govt to review private school funding

Govt to review private school funding

Federal Education Minister Julie Bishop discusses the impending review of the Federal Government’s private schools funding system. The system funds schools according to the capacity of the parents in the area to pay fees, based on research into school zones to determine parents’ incomes and occupations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)