School funding (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Now I know this a touchy topic. We have both private and public school students here, so be nice everyone. Keep on topic and don't go personal, and don't take nothing personal.
I was at Knox on Sunday and it made me pretty bloody angry. Our school has been screaming out for new buildings, we can barely cope with capacity, and down at Knox they had a swimming pool, a diving pool, a lecture hall, buildings that looked to be worth more than my house and other luxuries. And there were even people who didn't know what a demountable was.

Well, what do you all think of the school funding scheme.

Do you think it fair that private school kids, who's parents choose to send them to a non government school, still recieve government funding.

jayz

walking
this topic involves many political issues, for one, the liberals r currently in office and many of their policies r aimed at middle 2 upper class aus citizens, as private schooling is considered an uppercase thing, it's no doubt by funding them, howard will b able to further gain support for his party. tis is just my theory, however not fully supported

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I don't know about gaining support for his party, I hadn't thought of that. I figured that all the politician's kids go to private schools so that's where the money goes. Certainly wouldn't see John Howard Junior or Bob Carr the second at my school.

Originally posted by Alexander
Err umm, i think this has been covered
Well no harm in bringing it up again. I never saw any other thread about school funding

beyond the arc

of course it's fair that all schools get government funding regardless of being a public or private school. every one seems to focus on that fact that private schools are so called "rich" in comparison to public schools, but what seems to amaze me is that people disregard school fees within all this. Public school fees are no way as high as private and therefore less money is spent on the school. Therefore schools with higher fees are able to spend more on infrastructure and the overall look of the school.

man, you dissing knox or something. sure maybe your school may not have all the facilities but who's fault is that. and why be angry bout such a thing like that. seems like such a small thing to be angry about, or are you just trying to say knox ppl are all snobs or something are we??

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i go to a private school and we have demountables
i also go to saturday school at a public school and their demountables have air conditioning.. as ours dont
what do u expect.. schools were u pay $3000 a term to have demountables and shabby buildings and public schools to full of luxuries?
my business teacher said that our school fees only fund like half of the teachers salaries..
so if u think about it.. if private schools got less funding then public schools got a heap more.. people would be paying 10k a year when they could be sending their kid to a public school for close to nothing and getting the same benefits.. (as private schools wouldnt be putting in new pools etc cuz the fees just go to paying salaries).

i dont think im making sense sorry

Last edited:

MoNNiE

HSC
i think that exclusive schools such as kings, trinity, knox should be kepted out of the government funding as they already have enough funding from getting parents to pay laods of money

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
my school is exclusive.. maybe u think because its not in the city the people who go there are all derros or something
i enrolled in year 2.. and i only got accepted the day before the induction day.. many people were only accepted after high school started.. like when people left at the end of yr 10 (to go to other schools, tafe etc) all the places were filled by new people who had been on the waiting list since primary school
or is it not exclusive because it isnt a boarding school? it used to be a boarding school till like the 1950s.. mm

beyond the arc

sure in terms of school fees, maybe exclusive. but have to remember that not everyone that attends one of these "exclusive" schools is rich or bursting with wealth.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
personally, i believe government money should go to government schools.
private schools are private, why should they take funds away from government schools.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
schools shouldn't get funding

only unis
Nice idea fatmuscle, except without it most of the population wouldn't even get an education, not everyone can afford to pay a heap a money for theirs.

Originally posted by cro_angel
my school is exclusive.. maybe u think because its not in the city the people who go there are all derros or something
i enrolled in year 2.. and i only got accepted the day before the induction day.. many people were only accepted after high school started.. like when people left at the end of yr 10 (to go to other schools, tafe etc) all the places were filled by new people who had been on the waiting list since primary school
or is it not exclusive because it isnt a boarding school? it used to be a boarding school till like the 1950s.. mm
Your location says you are from North West Syndey, isn't that part of the city. Now I'm confused.

Originally posted by beyond the arc
sure in terms of school fees, maybe exclusive. but have to remember that not everyone that attends one of these "exclusive" schools is rich or bursting with wealth.
They may not be bursting with wealth, but they must have a bloody great deal of money to afford it in the first place. Anyway, why don't they send their kids to public schools, which cost nothing.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Public schools cost nothing, well beside the general contribution and elective fees, because they are a program provided by the government to educate the population for free, so that everyone gets an education and an equal go.

Anyone who chooses not to attend these free schools provided by the government should have to pay their own way. The government provides public schools so that people can be educated. The private schools aren't part of their system, and are not their responsibility. Private schools are institutions for people who don't want to attend government schools, therefore they shouldn't recieve government funding.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
personally, i believe government money should go to government schools.
private schools are private, why should they take funds away from government schools.
errrm, so if you go to a private school the government can just say, ah fuck it we won't do anything for YOUR education. parents who send their children to private schools are taxpayers too.

and also, yeh like everyone else has said.. the facilities are knox is not all paid for by the government, but from the hefty fees and fundraising and stuff.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
Anyone who chooses not to attend these free schools provided by the government should have to pay their own way. The government provides public schools so that people can be educated. The private schools aren't part of their system, and are not their responsibility. Private schools are institutions for people who don't want to attend government schools, therefore they shouldn't recieve government funding.
yeh, shouldn't people have a choice to go to either a public or private school? private schools are a part of the EDUCATION system, funded by the government from taxpayer's money. from your reasoning, those who choose not to take part in the public school system shouldn't have to contribute to the government's education funding either.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
schools shouldn't get funding

only unis
yes
i agree
make textbooks cheaper! :mad:

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
Your location says you are from North West Syndey, isn't that part of the city. Now I'm confused.
i meant city as in like the sydney city area.. most people wouldnt consider parramatta as being in the sydney city area..
i live in the north west.. im not sure if parramatta classifies as north west

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)