• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School funding (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i go to a selective school but everyone else in my family, including extended family go to private school because no one wants to turn out like me.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Public School's should not just be grouped together. You get bad ones and good ones. A bad one for example, is Picton High School whereas a good one is Elderslie High.

Gay Picton High, rob me of my school years...

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I don't know, I don't care. All I know is that Picton High exists purely to give the future generations of unskilled labourers a place to stay untill adulthood.

Seriously, the whole focus is simply keeping students AT school. There is not enough attention focused on the senior years, so many funds are wasted on rediculous services such as mass-counselling for the emotionally unstable, while the emotionally stable are neglected and forced to attend lessons presided over by sadistic french teachers.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
"...so many funds are wasted on rediculous services such as mass-counselling for the emotionally unstable, while the emotionally stable are neglected and forced to attend lessons presided over by sadistic french teachers."

hahahaha

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
leetom said:
Public School's should not just be grouped together. You get bad ones and good ones. A bad one for example, is Picton High School whereas a good one is Elderslie High.

Gay Picton High, rob me of my school years...
Are you sure you're a labor voter?

BrenKHS

HSC
I've never been to/visited a private school but I'd imagine that it would be a better working environment then a public one. As NTB, said before, there are drug users, losers, people who go to school just to kill time at public schools while they (probably) aren't at private schools.

But even the students who are "trying" to make an achievement at my school, are not attempting to do work in class. The 4 Unit maths class is full of people talking, playing cards, eating etc. Again, I doubt this happens at a private school, if my parents made sacrifices for my education (i.e thousands of dollars) I would like to show them the investment was worth it.

And someone said that public schools have bad facilities, this is true for some (my schools sports facilities aren't exactly excellent), but I went to Sydney Tech for a meeting and their school looked pretty good.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ohhh it happens at private schools too, alot of private school kids don't respect what they're given either.. but there seems to be more disipline, and in general the kids aren't TOTALLY out of control.

BrenKHS

HSC
blackfriday said:
i go to a selective school but everyone else in my family, including extended family go to private school because no one wants to turn out like me.
I thought that selective schools were generally better than private schools.

NTB, Its people like those who you spoke about that annoy me, they go to a decent school but ruin their advantage over public school students because they are dicks

jennylim

HSC
BrenKHS said:
I thought that selective schools were generally better than private schools.

NTB, Its people like those who you spoke about that annoy me, they go to a decent school but ruin their advantage over public school students because they are dicks
selective schools have smarter kids - meaning that of course they're going to get better results. many of them are also turning into wannabe private schools. i suppose it depends what you're after when you say "better" - high uais or a rounded education...etc...

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
at selective schools you get the sort who can solve the most complex lateral thinking problems but dont know how to talk to a person eye to eye. its just like that.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
at selective schools you get the sort who can solve the most complex lateral thinking problems but dont know how to talk to a person eye to eye. its just like that.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Komaticom said:
Kids with more intelligence and less common sense. Overall - more stupid kids.
Did you even read the rest of Jenny's post? She basically said that.

Unless I totally misinterpreted her :D

jebbie

HSC
jennylim said:
hehe. i love you jebbie :p
This is true. I'll defend you.

Okay that just sounded really weird so I'm gonna stop.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
jennylim said:
selective schools have smarter kids - meaning that of course they're going to get better results. many of them are also turning into wannabe private schools. i suppose it depends what you're after when you say "better" - high uais or a rounded education...etc...
So is being a bitch, prick or snob part of private school education? Just asking.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
blackfriday said:
At selective schools, you also get well-rounded kids that are very talented in areas other than study. Your statement is a bit of an exaggeration. I went to Sydney High, and most students paticipated in GPS sport, music, and other extra-curricular activities. It's true that some kids struggle in terms of their communication skills, but it wasn't a problem for most students.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I started the third thread Generator mentioned so yeah I have a strong opinion. I won't go into it all, as you can refer to my the other thread.

But basically:

A basic standard of human living in Australia, and one of the rights according to the UN Declaration of Human Rights, is a free and equal education system for all. This is the PUBLIC school system, or the government school system (that's why their called government schools by the way). It is the government providing an equal and free education system so no one is discrminiated against. Hence the government funds them.

In a free society people like to a have a chance, which is fine by me. However, since a government system already exists if anyone wants an alternative they must be prepared to pay for it themselves. There is nothing wrong with a private school as long as people remember that they chose to turn down the government school and should not expect to get money from the government for it.

And, as mentioned by someone before, and which I read in the paper too, since kids from public schools out perform their private school counterparts at uni anyway, what's wrong with the public sector.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Enlightened_one, wether that story about "outperforming private skoolz people at uni in first year" is true or not, u need to realise that in general private school students end up with higher levels of income than public school students, they also often end up with a higher level of education.

Truth is, not all that many public school students even make it to uni (comparitively).

As for wether the government should fund them, do you believe the government should remove all funding from private schools, forcing students from private schools (which are cheaper for the government) into the public school system, costing the government more and taking even MORE money from the people currently in the public school system.

Meanwhile private schools truely become havens for the rich, where only the richest of the rich attend.

jennylim

HSC
transcendent said:
So is being a bitch, prick or snob part of private school education? Just asking.
oh please. i thought we went over this stereotype issue. every person who thinks that private school people are complete snobby bitches are making the same generalisations they think the private school ppl are guilty of. we do not assume that you're "lower" just because you're from a public school, but many public school people assume we think that and therefore that we must be total pricks. it's ridiculous. and as a matter of fact, no, it really isn't - there aren't many in my school and the focus is on "respect for others" and a christian ethos. whether or not they respond is a different matter but most of them tend to be nice people from your average middle-class background.

jebbie

HSC
jennylim said:
oh please. i thought we went over this stereotype issue. every person who thinks that private school people are complete snobby bitches are making the same generalisations they think the private school ppl are guilty of. we do not assume that you're "lower" just because you're from a public school, but many public school people assume we think that and therefore that we must be total pricks. it's ridiculous. and as a matter of fact, no, it really isn't - there aren't many in my school and the focus is on "respect for others" and a christian ethos. whether or not they respond is a different matter but most of them tend to be nice people from your average middle-class background.
An extra on that is, that if you guys expect us not to be rude or snub you then don't frigging start paying us out. We talk just like you guys and are just as 'average' as you! We are all the same and usually from similar backgrounds. Just because our uniform is different doesn't mean anything. We (on a whole) are usually nice. Just as Public School Students are (on a whole) nice. You get bitches and pricks everywhere. It has nothing to do with your socioeconomic background :D (Sorry had to put that in. I've just been studying PD so yeah :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)