Parents reaction to ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Root Vegetable

HSC
I put my marks in the calculator, and my mum said "Oh, I wouldn't get your hopes up, you're not going to get that."
And the very next day, I got the exact same ATAR as predicted (99.55)... I showed her XD My parents were very happy, but they weren't bouncing off the walls or anything. My best friend, on the other hand, proceeded to scream quite loudly.

suling

HSC
my mother is on the phone 24/7 to relatives, family friends, people from work, the landlord, the tenants, old tutors, god, i think she even told the lady behind the counter at the newsagency >_o [i mean, i'd understand if my marks were fabulous but they're not o___o. but lol, gotta love her x)]
Haha my mum has been the same. As have other people. I went into this cafe today and the waiter was like "congrats on your marks". Awkward. :/

Is not fabulous 99.90 or something?

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Haha my mum has been the same. As have other people. I went into this cafe today and the waiter was like "congrats on your marks". Awkward. :/

Is not fabulous 99.90 or something?
lol, mothers x] and lol random people xD
haha, noo, it was nowhere near that fabulous. i did nab a nice state rank, but it's nothing compared to your collection of state ranks xD
congratulations on that btw!!

speedofsound

HSC
My mother's been ecstatic! She's told absolutely everyone. Even the guy who fixes our windows.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
mums ecstatic i beat her workmate's son.. since he (workmate) was saying i'd get a shit atar doing low scaling subjects..

which dispels that myth! u dont need high scaling subjects!

speedofsound

HSC
mums ecstatic i beat her workmate's son.. since he (workmate) was saying i'd get a shit atar doing low scaling subjects..

which dispels that myth! u dont need high scaling subjects!
yep, so true - i got 99.25 with advanced english, legal studies, modern history, ancient history and society and culture...

suling

HSC
yep, so true - i got 99.25 with advanced english, legal studies, modern history, ancient history and society and culture...
Yay for getting high ATARs with apparently crappy scaling subjects!

99.6 with Food Tech. Lol.

kickasschick

HSC
[walks silently to room, dad is sitting on the sofa holding the newspaper]
Me: Dad...
Dad: Yeah what?
Me: 99.90
Dad: [raises an eyebrown half an inch] What was that?
Me: [muffled voice] 99.90
Dad: [voice rising] You stupid girl! What .. I invested like ... like ... 150 grand for you to go to private skool and y-y-you can't even thank me by getting 99.95!? [chucks newspaper on the floor]
Me: But dad i'm happ ....
Dad: Don't talk to me ever again [stomps off the room]

Arghhh i hate my dad T_T my mum was crying with happiness and told me to ignore him and that she was so proud with me so its bittersweet i guess

blackratpoo

HSC
r u serious. give me ur dads work address. ill sort the fuckin tightass out.

deterministic

HSC
[walks silently to room, dad is sitting on the sofa holding the newspaper]
Me: Dad...
Dad: Yeah what?
Me: 99.90
Dad: [raises an eyebrown half an inch] What was that?
Me: [muffled voice] 99.90
Dad: [voice rising] You stupid girl! What .. I invested like ... like ... 150 grand for you to go to private skool and y-y-you can't even thank me by getting 99.95!? [chucks newspaper on the floor]
Me: But dad i'm happ ....
Dad: Don't talk to me ever again [stomps off the room]

Arghhh i hate my dad T_T my mum was crying with happiness and told me to ignore him and that she was so proud with me so its bittersweet i guess
lol bs

minty388

HSC
over the moon, especially at my fluke 47/50 in SOR1 given that they know i hated it, didnt try, and wanted to drop

like others mums shes been telling EVERYONE

called dad at work and it sounded like he was crying :)

given that they thought and i thought i would get low/mid 80s.. to get in the 90s and suprise them was awesome :haha:

yeah_boy

HSC
I got "That's good".

Now some of my fellow classmates however were less than supportive...
Omg!!!

Tell me about it... My classmates were the same!!

My friends who recieved way lower were being praised and congratulated by many on facebook etc, when I posted my result nobody said anything.. and just ignores me lol

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
lol, mothers x] and lol random people xD
haha, noo, it was nowhere near that fabulous. i did nab a nice state rank, but it's nothing compared to your collection of state ranks xD
congratulations on that btw!!
EXACTLY, OMG OUR MOTHERS ARE LIKE, THE SAME!

But yeah, my parents went nuts =]. I went nuts with them for a while as well!

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Yay for getting high ATARs with apparently crappy scaling subjects!

99.6 with Food Tech. Lol.
loll yeah! nice work!! go us lower scaling subjects people. i got 99.70 with english adv, maths, business studies, accounting and economics! no sciences, no extensions! yay =] my parents were very happy for me because they'd seen how hard I worked all year.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Omg!!!

My friends who recieved way lower were being praised and congratulated by many on facebook etc, when I posted my result nobody said anything.. and just ignores me lol
True. Probably they were thinking: "oh shi- better comfort them or they might cry".

I still got some replies though and 'likes'. They can't have all ignored you... if so, I'm not sure.

speedofsound

HSC
Omg!!!

maybe they're just bitter and jealous. :p

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Mum was happy because I was happy. But if I was happy with a mark in the 70's, she would have been happy, haha. I think she's just really confused as to why I studied so hard and only want to do arts or fine arts. She is still deluding herself that I'm going to become a brain surgeon. Lal.

I don't know if it's the same for you guys, but at my school, I mean, yeah, my Atar was good, but pretty much everyone did really well, so you know, it wasn't that phenomenal.

But when I told people at my WORK, they went seriously ballistic and now think I'm some crazy super-genius. It's funny to see the difference between the reaction of school and the general-public. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)