• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

investment banking (1 Viewer)

sunny199

HSC
I've heard when you 10 + years in and get the highest job title you make millions

loapowm

Banned
HSC
I've heard when you 10 + years in and get the highest job title you make millions
If you get a partner.

But to do that. You need to be good. Really good. However you wuold have spent every week 120+ hours at the office. You wouldn't take holidays - because of the nature of the work.

To achieve that you have no life legit.

Also your work shouldn't be about $$$

sunny199

HSC
yea i know but after all the hard work you should at least make decent money

is a roflcopter
HSC
some information for your reference

i worked about a total of 2 hrs last week hahahahaha thats why i was on BOS so much during the day

my friend at ubs did about 15 hours of work and he was pissed lol. july-august is the quiet time for banking in the northern hemisphere

120 hr weeks do occur but the average is 80-90hrs at the analyst level, improving to an average of 60-70 after 3 years.

base pay is 130k in sydney. first year analyst bonus range is 7-9 months of that. total first year pay 180k+

loapowm

Banned
HSC

i worked about a total of 2 hrs last week hahahahaha thats why i was on BOS so much during the day

my friend at ubs did about 15 hours of work and he was pissed lol. july-august is the quiet time for banking in the northern hemisphere

120 hr weeks do occur but the average is 80-90hrs at the analyst level, improving to an average of 60-70 after 3 years.

base pay is 130k in sydney. first year analyst bonus range is 7-9 months of that. total first year pay 180k+
Where do you get these figures from?

loapowm

Banned
HSC

Besides the hours. I know August is pretty quite usually

enoilgam

HSC
so are you saying investment banking is a bad field
Not necessarily - what I think most people are saying is that whilst there is quite a bit of money to be made in the field, the amount of work which goes in is pretty high.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Not necessarily - what I think most people are saying is that whilst there is quite a bit of money to be made in the field, the amount of work which goes in is pretty high.
This

Money is pretty decent (for first year uni grad)

But you are expected to do so many hours.

Its very subjective. Many will find this terrible. Some may like it.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i've been working in a bank for 4 years now
trust my numbers

loapowm

Banned
HSC
no im in hong kong
Pretty good work there.

To be honest. I want to do IB. Don't quite mind the hours- I am very anti-social so it won't bother me (I am very social in work situations however)

Fuck i can't wait.

A economics degree with a major in finance and economictrics should be enough? (with good grades)

is a roflcopter
HSC
lol do what you gotta do man
dont forget to enjoy uni life

i do like this line haha "I am very anti-social so it won't bother me (I am very social in work situations however)"

loapowm

Banned
HSC
lol do what you gotta do man
dont forget to enjoy uni life

i do like this line haha "I am very anti-social so it won't bother me (I am very social in work situations however)"
Fuck mate. I am going to party hard at uni. Settle down at work. Sell myself and retire young

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

I'd only caveat that post with the current state of financial services, the expectation of a bonus in that range has definitely fallen. From speaking with a few mates around the place, the bonuses in Sydney are closer to the 10%-30% range and not in the 50%-100% range where they used to be (for graduate analysts).

is a roflcopter
HSC
I'd only caveat that post with the current state of financial services, the expectation of a bonus in that range has definitely fallen. From speaking with a few mates around the place, the bonuses in Sydney are closer to the 10%-30% range and not in the 50%-100% range where they used to be (for graduate analysts).
oh really? shiiie i aint coming back lol
but seriously? thats a bit low/rude - sounds like macquarie bank to be honest
my sydney friends were paid ok. different banks perhaps or different ranking

our guys got 9 months here (75%). this was last week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)