• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

investment banking (2 Viewers)

is a roflcopter
HSC
im assuming you were unlucky during the ib interviews? what was the feedback?
some things you can fix, some things you cant to be honest

i did a big 4 internship and then interviewed for a grad spot. so i was in a similar situation as you. however i was in my 3rd year (out of five) though haha i cheated but whatever it was tactical because law fked my wam so bad

is a roflcopter
HSC
audit or tax at big 4? try to go for tax and then try to go for transactional work rather than compliance

in your future interview make sure you tell them you had a great experience at big 4, you learnt alot, blah blah blah but you felt you want a more of a challenge, more holistic experience, more opportunities to "step up" blah blah blah
now bankers dont work harder than accountants, but they like to think they do, so stroke the shaft

is a roflcopter
HSC
my friend interned at deloitte risk management and then worked for merrill and db

remember he said its chilled as fkkkk so should be good lol

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Good luck to those aiming to get into IB from a graduate level and also those currently in the stages of the internship recruitment. It is one of the most competitive areas to get into. Typically, there are about say 300-500 potential applicants per graduate IB position available, in a given bank. Obviously those with more positions tend to attract more applicants and there are variations between banks.

Typical people I know who work in IB are quite amazingly talented people. They tend to have HD averages (or high D), taken multiple executive/presidential positions in student clubs/societies, have been winners/finalists in finance-related competitions (often at a state or national level) and have often acquired very strong relevant work experience. So make sure you have acquired at least these listed credentials above before applying if you want to give yourself a good chance to get into IB as a graduate.

Contrary to what some might believe, most people I know who work in IB are usually the sociable and popular types of people. I suspect the reason for this is because the recruiters look for superior social skills since they come into play when pitching to clients and working with colleagues as a team for long hours to take care of a big M&A deal worth millions of dollars.

Most importantly, those who work in IB have a passion for finance so you can ask them anything about the latest issues in M&A deals and financial markets (both domestically and internationally) and they can go on forever and ever about it, well beyond what most people see/read on the news. So it is no surprise that they are doing IB because its in their nature and not for the money, hence the hours are generally not an issue with them because they are doing what they love. If your only motivation for getting in IB is the money, the recruiters will see straight through you in the interview and press the reject button without hesitation. They want very talented people who are genuinely passionate about finance because these kinds of people will best adapt to the lifestyle that an IB role entails.

So if you want to get into IB, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons otherwise you're wasting your time.

Last edited:

sunny199

HSC
what qualities do IBs have and how do you get started (im 16)

loapowm

Banned
HSC
IB's are

Smart
Social
Well balanced.

Nothing will give you an edge.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Good luck to those aiming to get into IB from a graduate level and also those currently in the stages of the internship recruitment. It is one of the most competitive areas to get into. Typically, there are about say 300-500 potential applicants per graduate IB position available, in a given bank. Obviously those with more positions tend to attract more applicants and there are variations between banks.

Typical people I know who work in IB are quite amazingly talented people. They tend to have HD averages (or high D), taken multiple executive/presidential positions in student clubs/societies, have been winners/finalists in finance-related competitions (often at a state or national level) and have often acquired very strong relevant work experience. So make sure you have acquired at least these listed credentials above before applying if you want to give yourself a good chance to get into IB as a graduate.

Contrary to what some might believe, most people I know who work in IB are usually the sociable and popular types of people. I suspect the reason for this is because the recruiters look for superior social skills since they come into play when pitching to clients and working with colleagues as a team for long hours to take care of a big M&A deal worth millions of dollars.

Most importantly, those who work in IB have a passion for finance so you can ask them anything about the latest issues in M&A deals and financial markets (both domestically and internationally) and they can go on forever and ever about it, well beyond what most people see/read on the news. So it is no surprise that they are doing IB because its in their nature and not for the money, hence the hours are generally not an issue with them because they are doing what they love. If your only motivation for getting in IB is the money, the recruiters will see straight through you in the interview and press the reject button without hesitation. They want very talented people who are genuinely passionate about finance because these kinds of people will best adapt to the lifestyle that an IB role entails.

So if you want to get into IB, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons otherwise you're wasting your time.
wow these bankers are amazing! i bet they get all the girls.

is a roflcopter
HSC
guys you should all try to do the finance case study competitions - they are a great opportunity to see what bankers do day to day and good for the resume if you win!

loapowm

Banned
HSC
guys you should all try to do the finance case study competitions - they are a great opportunity to see what bankers do day to day and good for the resume if you win!
Link?

is a roflcopter
HSC
probably too early for you guys
they are offered to uni students

UBS has one and jpm HAD one but not sure if they still do

loapowm

Banned
HSC
probably too early for you guys
they are offered to uni students

UBS has one and jpm HAD one but not sure if they still do
Cool,

I got a HD in the economics competition by UNSW.

Can't wait <3

is a roflcopter
HSC
who won this year?
UNSW and Melbourne were strong back in my days :D

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
It's kinda counter intuitive to do it in first year, anyways I learnt valuations after date of competition.

is a roflcopter
HSC
one thing i disliked about the UBS one was that they used finance honours kids/coop kids to judge the university rounds (i was a judge as well because my friends were judging rofl)

its pretty fail because
1. its just a friends circle jerk and randoms will not have a shot no matter what
2. finance honors and coop kids know fk all

the JP one actually had JP bankers and senior corporate finance lecturers do the judging so at least it appear impartial

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
one thing i disliked about the UBS one was that they used finance honours kids/coop kids to judge the university rounds (i was a judge as well because my friends were judging rofl)

its pretty fail because
1. its just a friends circle jerk and randoms will not have a shot no matter what
2. finance honors and coop kids know fk all

the JP one actually had JP bankers and senior corporate finance lecturers do the judging so at least it appear impartial
Yeah I'm pretty sure honour students won it. I'll give it a crack in 4th year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)