Fail = Permanently on record??? (1 Viewer)

gman03

HSC
RCMasterAA said:
Also if I get that 50, will my academic statement for session 1 be updated and make my MATH2029 into a pass instead of a fail?
If you get a final mark of 50 after doing the sup, then yes your mark for session 1 should be updated accordingly

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
pfft..half the people i know got their law jobs,clerkships, etc through connections rather than marks..:(

edit: okay..maybe not half but you know what i mean

Last edited:

onholidays

HSC
Hey guys!

I just wanted to ask a question: If we fail a subject and have to repeat, how is the WAM calculated? If you achieve say a 85% overall mark in a subject when you repeat, would your WAM incorporate the 85% mark or would the uni just give you a 50Pass for that subject (since you failed the first time)?

Thanks in advance!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i dont think they do the '50pass' thing with courses you've failed, you wam would include your previous fail mark, and your new mark of 85.

say for example you get 47 in a course, and fail, then you repeat the course again and get 57, both course marks go towards your wam, as 47 and 57.

preeeetty sure thats how it works, you can always send an email to your course coordinator about it.

lil dynamyt

HSC
Both marks are included in your WAM. I got 27 for a subject (dont ask why lol) and then got 72 when i repeated it, and they were both counted to my WAM...so that 27 pushed my WAM way down =(

onholidays

HSC
Oh mannnn...I sympathise with u lil dynamyt...i asked at student central and what omie jay said was true...i sat my supplementaries today and boy were they even harder than the original...but at least this time I knew a bit more of what the paper was going on about.

Surprisingly though, despite what i said, one of my papers today was really quite easier than the original and that kinda scares me as well coz i still left out a lotta parts...and now i'm not so sure marks will be scaled up as much as the original was since it was easy.

Anyway, it's been such a crappy semester. I guess i had unrealistic expectations of uni. I know i probably failed at least one of my supplementaries. :( I can't believe i read the whole textbook and i still couldn't do the test. Geez...and I don't think I'm that stoopid...

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
^cheer up onholidays!! there are a lot of us around in the same boat with you ;) including me, let's just hope things finally smooth next semester.
this has been a destructive 1st yr..from now on there are no where to go but up.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
^cheer up onholidays!! there are a lot of us around in the same boat with you ;) including me, let's just hope things finally smooth next semester.
this has been a destructive 1st yr..from now on there are no where to go but up.
Yep +1 to what Chewy said. Don't let bad results in one semester get you down. You can always compensate in later semesters by getting D/HDs then. We all have our "bad" semesters, and then who knows, you might suddenly 'blossom' and start pwning up those finals :)

Cheer up ^^

Uncle

Banned
HSC
wam weightings

1st year marks: 10%
2nd year marks: 20%
3rd year marks : 30%
4th year marks: 40%

i presume

Yep +1 to what Chewy said. Don't let bad results in one semester get you down. You can always compensate in later semesters by getting D/HDs then. We all have our "bad" semesters, and then who knows, you might suddenly 'blossom' and start pwning up those finals :)

Cheer up ^^
i never failed however someone keeps me from getting 85 a HD cutoff.

so made a deal to get bumped to get 85 when i get 84 with a lecturer.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
wam weightings

1st year marks: 10%
2nd year marks: 20%
3rd year marks : 30%
4th year marks: 40%

i presume

i never failed however someone keeps me from getting 85 a HD cutoff.

so made a deal to get bumped to get 85 when i get 84 with a lecturer.
'Bigot' is the only thing permanent on your record (If our court motion passes you will actually be forced to write 'convicted bigot' on your transcript).

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
afaik there's no weighting for ASB students

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
That's true Jago. that weighting thing usually only applies to engineering students i believe. (or some kind of science student)

ASB - it is the weighted average. literally.

onholidays

HSC
Hey thanks for the cheering up messages guys! I've decided that I tried my best given my circumstances and I'll accept the consequences of my actions, if I fail. After all, I am to blame for bludging so much this semester. I just thought I'd try to see if I can do literally minimal amounts of work and still pass...I guess not.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I just thought I'd try to see if I can do literally minimal amounts of work and still pass...I guess not.
not. possible.

it worked for me in highschool, and i found out the hard way that it does NOT work in uni.

need to change my entire study habits etc..

onholidays

HSC
Hey Omie, what do you mean you "found out the hard way"?

I actually worked hard in high school and a lot, but I figured uni was going to be like the breeze depicted in US college movies. I mean, I just thought first year uni was a well-deserved break for us hardworking HSC-ers.

And how do they consider you for a PC? I mean, I know according to the Concession Algorithm but what if your WAM was totally stuffed up because of things out of your control? I mean, special consideration stuff affects all your subjects, not just one of them and especially if it's family issues.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hey Omie, what do you mean you "found out the hard way"?

I actually worked hard in high school and a lot, but I figured uni was going to be like the breeze depicted in US college movies. I mean, I just thought first year uni was a well-deserved break for us hardworking HSC-ers.

And how do they consider you for a PC? I mean, I know according to the Concession Algorithm but what if your WAM was totally stuffed up because of things out of your control? I mean, special consideration stuff affects all your subjects, not just one of them and especially if it's family issues.
by 'found out the hard way' i mean 'i bludged around and thought its all gonna work out in the end, and it didnt, meaning i had to repeat a couple of courses'.

im not sure about special consideration, i'd say call them up or send an email to some admin person from my.unsw.

:eek::eek::(

onholidays

HSC
Hey omie, that's exactly what I thought...I was like, I should relax more because I don't relax enough and I should also stop stressing so much because it's all going to work out in the end...and look what happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)