Fail = Permanently on record??? (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Sarah said:
Even when you transfer within UNSW and you get subjects credited from your previous degree to your current degree, a "T" appears next to the subject.

Your WAM starts again even if you get subjects transferred over.

e.g If i did Micro and Macro under B Arts and transferred to B Commerce, my commerce wam would not include the micro and macro subjects. It would have a "T" next to those subjects through.
Hmm Sarah...I think if subjects are credited to your degree, they will count in your WAM. All my 1st year subjects that I did under B.Economics count towards my B.Commerce WAM. (I also had a "T" for all my 1st year subjects)

ace

is retired
HSC
Sarah said:
It's calculated based on the amount of subjects u completed in the last degree you did.

At UNSW I also think your GPA/WAM is reset when you transfer to another degree within the uni. At least on my academic transcript, there;s a different WAM for the degree i started off with in comparision to the degree i trasnferred to
That's kinda correct. i've been at uni for 3 semester, switched between 3 degrees (in a sort of way)

seng/sci
seng
seng/comm

on my transcript(academic results whatever), its got

se/sci - wam (first semester)
se - wam (first 2 semesters)
se/comm - will be the first 3 semesters

its kinda weird, the wam is there i think on the old ones, just to denote "i was once in that degree or something".

Just look at the last one :D

The gpa never reset for me though (however I stayed within the sole uni, didn't come in from another uni)

gman03

HSC
I thought everyone's acadamic statement have term WAMs, accumulated WAM and total unit studied....

ace

is retired
HSC
wam = weighted average mark

say you got
courseA 90 worth 6uoc hd
courseB 80 worth 6uoc dn
courseC 70 worth 3uoc cr
courseD 25 worth 3uoc fl
courseE 50 worth 6uoc ps

wam would be (90+80+70*0.5+25*0.5+50)/4 = 66.875

gpa (grade point average) would be for those marks
hd - 7
dn - 6
cr - 5
ps - 4
cp - 3
fl - 0

gpa = (7+6+5*0.5+0*0.5+4)/4 = 4.875

If there is want for an excel macro, i'll upload the one I use for my mark calculations (its got comments in the code, so its easy to follow).

Cheers,
Hope that helps

ace

is retired
HSC
gman03 said:
I thought everyone's acadamic statement have term WAMs, accumulated WAM and total unit studied....
Exactly what i was thinking, however couldn't think of the words. :D

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
bearpooh said:
So dont fail.

The subjects are easy enough that nobody should fail if they have studied.
I dont know what subjects you are refering to but there are many courses wich are very easy to fail of you slip up a bit.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
routemarker said:
I dont know what subjects you are refering to but there are many courses wich are very easy to fail of you slip up a bit.
Like biohem :D
How was the supplementary?

And one more thing, if molecular biolology (adv) in the session 2 is anything like biochem, i am gonna die. :D

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
Hmm Sarah...I think if subjects are credited to your degree, they will count in your WAM. All my 1st year subjects that I did under B.Economics count towards my B.Commerce WAM. (I also had a "T" for all my 1st year subjects)
My academic transcript looks similar to Ace's one.

ace said:
That's kinda correct. i've been at uni for 3 semester, switched between 3 degrees (in a sort of way)

seng/sci
seng
seng/comm

on my transcript(academic results whatever), its got

se/sci - wam (first semester)
se - wam (first 2 semesters)
se/comm - will be the first 3 semesters

its kinda weird, the wam is there i think on the old ones, just to denote "i was once in that degree or something".

My current WAM is exactly the same as my previous WAM. But it's impossible for my current wam to be as it is becuase i didn't get all my subjects transferred to the degree i'm currently doing.

Unless my statement contains an accumulated WAM for every single subject i have done. But i thought WAM is calculated based on subjects that count towards your degree?

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Like biohem :D
How was the supplementary?

And one more thing, if molecular biolology (adv) in the session 2 is anything like biochem, i am gonna die. :D
Supp is not on until the 19th.

mol bio is much easier than biochem, believe me. It all about that nucleic acid DNA. Although electrophoresis is a bitch.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
routemarker said:
Supp is not on until the 19th.

mol bio is much easier than biochem, believe me. It all about that nucleic acid DNA. Although electrophoresis is a bitch.
Not fair! you have so much time to study! :D:D Remember to study for structures of chemical too. LOL Yes that's right, they asked about structures.. :(

Oh good. After doing biochem, i am not looking forward to any subjects with prefix BIOC...
It's comforting to hear that it is "much" easier. phew...

D

d00d

Sarah said:
My academic transcript looks similar to Ace's one.

My current WAM is exactly the same as my previous WAM. But it's impossible for my current wam to be as it is becuase i didn't get all my subjects transferred to the degree i'm currently doing.

Unless my statement contains an accumulated WAM for every single subject i have done. But i thought WAM is calculated based on subjects that count towards your degree?
if that's the case then it sux for me. i'm transferring from comm/comp sci to seng/comm. bad thing for me is that i failed comp1b in s105 due to the gay prac exam. but what i was going to do is when i do my credit transfers, i wasn't going to list comp1b, so my fail won't transfer over to my new degree, and then i would re-do it in summer and kill it this time.

u reckon it'll work?

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Umm... i'm not sure. I not clear as to how my current wam has been calculated.

Something that's relevant is that i remember sending in the transfer of credit form and i forgot to list 1 subject i'd done which i could get credit for.

The person approving the transfer of credit must have picked up on my ommission because when in the letter sent to me confirming the transfer of credit, it had the subject listed. So if you plan on omitting Comp1b, the faculty may still notice this.

If i were you, i'd ask the faculty or at least wait to see whether u get the transfer in the first place.

d00d said:
if that's the case then it sux for me. i'm transferring from comm/comp sci to seng/comm. bad thing for me is that i failed comp1b in s105 due to the gay prac exam. but what i was going to do is when i do my credit transfers, i wasn't going to list comp1b, so my fail won't transfer over to my new degree, and then i would re-do it in summer and kill it this time.

u reckon it'll work?

J0n

N/A
HSC
Hmm, I failed elec1011, and was planning on repeating it this session, and doing math 1B in summer session (instead of s2).

BUT, elec was just an elective for me, so would it be a better idea for me to do a different subject this session? i.e. would doing a different elective this time let me remove the fail from my record?

gman03

HSC
J0n said:
Hmm, I failed elec1011, and was planning on repeating it this session, and doing math 1B in summer session (instead of s2).

BUT, elec was just an elective for me, so would it be a better idea for me to do a different subject this session? i.e. would doing a different elective this time let me remove the fail from my record?
You will not able to remove the failed course from your record...... however you may able to hide it in future ( i don't know how thou).

Now reading from the other thread it seems you 're doing maths+comp.... in that case then I suggest you do Maths 1b this semester and comp 1b in summer (i assume you're going to do comp 1b this semester)... i say this because from impression 2nd year science electives usually required maths 1b as pre-requsite (esp. physics)..... besides 1st year maths takes a long time to grasp the concept....

J0n

N/A
HSC
So, the sheet of paper that the employer reads has all the subjects u did, whether they counted towards ur degree or not...?

The reason I wanted to do it that way though, was so that I could do comp1721 instead of 1021 (1721 is only offered s2), since i am much more interested in comp than any of my other subjects (partially the reason i failed elec, probably...). What I was planning to do though, was to attend the math lectures during s2, and study most of elec during the holidays.

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Your Academic Transcript lists all subjects you attempted (therefore it includes all fails)

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Ok I'm in a bit of a unique situation
I got 47 in Math2029 and if I do the supplementary test and do well, my max mark will only be a 50.
Now reading through these posts I can't figure out if a second attempt and getting like distinction will be counted. Will getting like 80 in the next try make things any better? It doesn't make sense that it wouldn't be even taken into consideration like Narelle said:

If I fail a course, I have many options:
-I can say to myself "stuff it! im not even gonna bother trying that course again"
OR
-I can either just aim to pass this time and not really care (which will be easier the second time)
OR
-I can try real hard to get an excellent mark not just a pass.... in order to rewrite a wrong.

But it seems as there is no point in striving for the last option because it's not even gonna be recorded
Also if I get that 50, will my academic statement for session 1 be updated and make my MATH2029 into a pass instead of a fail?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)