Fail = Permanently on record??? (1 Viewer)

Narelle

HSC
I keep having this recurrent post exam angst that stresses me out.

Anyway, a sort of quick question...

If you fail a course/s does the 'fail' permanently remain on your record?

...Even if you repeat the course/s and go heaps better next time?

Oh I was so dellusional about uni. Never realised how easy it can be to fail, and how it can totally stuff you up (especially if the course is prerequisite to another course which is only held in second semester... so then you end up being a year behind, instead of a semester behind... basically its just stuffed up)

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Narelle said:
I keep having this recurrent post exam angst that stresses me out.

Anyway, a sort of quick question...

If you fail a course/s does the 'fail' permanently remain on your record?

...Even if you repeat the course/s and go heaps better next time?

Oh I was so dellusional about uni. Never realised how easy it can be to fail, and how it can totally stuff you up (especially if the course is prerequisite to another course which is only held in second semester... so then you end up being a year behind, instead of a semester behind... basically its just stuffed up)
Yes its permanent! It will be with you forever and ever! Although you can choose to let it haunt you for no apparent reason or look past it and try your best from now on.

Now any employer wont immediately refuse you because you have a fail, if you show you can motivate yourself and get past the fail, then you can make that fail into a good thing! Uni is a learning experience afterall.

Narelle

HSC
Oh... I can always redeem myself right???

That would totally suck if I couldn't, cause then what's the point of even trying if you can't.

So even if you attempt the course again and do heaps better, the fail will still be there?

The second attempt wont just override the first? Mask it forever as if it never existed?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think the Fail will always be on your record. It's not right if you fail it, then do it again to pass, then your fail disappear... it doesn't make sense. Then someone would have failed everything, then pass everything the second time and get all passes on his/her record?? nah. doesn't sound right.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
must devise a plan to remove the fails from my academic record >.>

gman03

HSC
Narelle said:
This was in another post:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/commu...ead.php?t=73899

OMG is this for real?

This is depressing

Uber... that's my post!!!!

It depends, see, your record will show you (i think) the number of times and the result for each time. For electrical engineering they do their WAM calculation based on the first mark... like the example I made.... say someone doing electrical got 0 for one subject (say elec1010) and got 100 next time, the "school WAM" uses the 0, instead of 100...

Don't be upset by that... you should know that a guy I know did jack shit and manage to pass everything... unfortunately he will definitely fail this time :p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
gman03 said:
Don't be upset by that... you should know that a guy I know did jack shit and manage to pass everything... unfortunately he will definitely fail this time :p
Don't go and curse people around :D

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
evidently when you finish you can pay $15 for each fail to be removed from your transcript

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Courtenay said:
evidently when you finish you can pay $15 for each fail to be removed from your transcript
Uh huh.

But yes fails stay permanently, they don't look good on your transcript. Just try to avoid fails :D

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Never heard about the $15 payment before but i hope it's true!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes. they moved the price to $30 to coincide with uni fee increases. but that's only if you redo the subject and pass.
It's $30 for the first fail
$10 for each successive fail.

Narelle

HSC
Survivor39 said:
It's not right if you fail it, then do it again to pass, then your fail disappear...
oh... but I don't think it's right that your second attempt goes totally unacknowledge

fair enough, they should record the first fail.... but your struggle for redemption should also be recorded because that also demonstates a lot.

If I fail a course, I have many options:
-I can say to myself "stuff it! im not even gonna bother trying that course again"
OR
-I can either just aim to pass this time and not really care (which will be easier the second time)
OR
-I can try real hard to get an excellent mark not just a pass.... in order to rewrite a wrong.

But it seems as there is no point in striving for the last option because it's not even gonna be recorded

Ppl might say, "just don't fail in the first place".... but it's not like some ppl set out to fail on purpose...

...I don't know, but uni workload was heavy, went so fast and became overwhelming (ok to all those 2nd, 3rd yrs or wateva I prob sound like a 1st yr sook who needs to deal with reality of not being spoonfed so i'm gona stop now)

BUT...

1Time4thePpl said:
yes. they moved the price to $30 to coincide with uni fee increases. but that's only if you redo the subject and pass.
It's $30 for the first fail
$10 for each successive fail.
UNBELIEVABLE...it seems that yet again money can buy you out of anything. What a scam!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yep, have a look on the usyd website for the 'Department of Gullibility'. not sure what name it goes under at unsw.

Oh and I was pretty sure that both your pass and fail are recorded on the record, just that the fail is calculated within your WAM.

Narelle

HSC
Courtenay said:

So if you pay for the fail to be removed, does your second attempt mark get recorded instead?

or does the money wipe everything clean for that course, ie. no mark gets recorded for that course... in that case, does that mean on your record you never attempted the course that you failed

argh so confusing

Futher question: does it get recorded that you payed the uni to get you marks altered lol

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Narelle said:
So if you pay for the fail to be removed, does your second attempt mark get recorded instead?

or does the money wipe everything clean for that course, ie. no mark gets recorded for that course... in that case, does that mean on your record you never attempted the course that you failed

argh so confusing

Futher question: does it get recorded that you payed the uni to get you marks altered lol
no it just gets rid of a fail from what i understand. i dont know the finer details...i shall find out if i ever finish my degree and report back!

Narelle

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Yep, have a look on the usyd website for the 'Department of Gullibility'. not sure what name it goes under at unsw.
Gullibility...what? so you lied about all that?

aww thats mean, don't pick on me i'm vulnerable cause i'm shit scared from the prospect of possibly failing those freaky exams which seem to alter my entire life forever lol i'm being overdramatic now... but still...

Narelle

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Oh and I was pretty sure that both your pass and fail are recorded on the record, just that the fail is calculated within your WAM.
If that's true then that's cool, I can deal with that... pretty fair

... and if it's true that I can wipe away that fail forever with $15 or a bit more than even better (but seems too good to be true)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)