Fail = Permanently on record??? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you people are stoopid :p really stoopid.
How could $15 or even $30 wipe the slate clean for a subject? It doesn't. Oh and there's an office in which you can pay approx $50 (depending on the subject taken) and remove it from your uai calculation, allowing you to recalculate your uai based on 8 instead of 10 units.
In the GPA calculation, here's what happens.
You get 0 for a fail, 4 for a pass. So if you take the subject, get a fail, then redo it and get a pass, you will get a 2.0 GPA contributant.

Last edited:

Narelle

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
you people are stoopid :p really stoopid.
How could $15 or even $30 wipe the slate clean for a subject? It doesn't.

In the GPA calculation, here's what happens.
You get 0 for a fail, 4 for a pass. So if you take the subject, get a fail, then redo it and get a pass, you will get a 2.0 GPA contributant.

Desperation makes ppl stupid

When you tell ppl things they wanna hear... they believe it... they hold onto that little bit of hope

It's even more convincing when you really don't know anything about the process and you think that other ppl do

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the best time was when myself and another guy convinced others in the usyd forum that where it said 'calculators will be provided by the university' in the pre-exam instructions, that you had to buy this exact calculator from the University Union Store and produce a receipt, otherwise they won't let you sit the exam.

Narelle

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
the best time was when myself and another guy convinced others in the usyd forum that where it said 'calculators will be provided by the university' in the pre-exam instructions, that you had to buy this exact calculator from the University Union Store and produce a receipt, otherwise they won't let you sit the exam.

lol that is so slack, messing with ppl minds in stressful exam times

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
If you transfer to another uni then your gpa/wam "resets" ;)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
no it doesn't.
Yes, continuing a course from your previous Uni, the marks obtained are not recorded. Trust me, my UNSW transcript does not show my Macquarie marks, only the credit earned in equivalent units.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
that is so bizarre. so how would you transfer again if you're unhappy with your course. if you completed 3.0 years of one degree, then transferred for your 4th/5 years and wish to transfer again, then only 1.0 terms are counted: thus you get a lower GPA

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
that is so bizarre. so how would you transfer again if you're unhappy with your course. if you completed 3.0 years of one degree, then transferred for your 4th/5 years and wish to transfer again, then only 1.0 terms are counted: thus you get a lower GPA
No, transferring internally ud keep your marks i think

but transferiing externally - your previous marks will be counted in your NRSL when you apply through UAC, but once in, then yeah, no record-only credit (for the subjects you've passed?)

Your GPA would be calculated on the subjects you done at your transferred uni.(i think-ill let u know when i get my unsw results..but im pretty sure)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes thats what I mean.
Say im doing com/arts at usyd.
i complete 3 years with a 6.0 GPA and then transfer to com/arts at unsw.
a year later, I decide that I don't want to stay at unsw and want to go back to usyd for the 5th year. However, my GPA for the previous year at UNSW was only a measly 4.0, and that counted under 1.0 terms gives a really crap result. It won't let me transfer to usyd, even though my GPA over the 4 years would be (lets say) 5.50, and it will also be worth more since over 3.0 terms were completed

Sarah

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
It's calculated based on the amount of subjects u completed in the last degree you did.

At UNSW I also think your GPA/WAM is reset when you transfer to another degree within the uni. At least on my academic transcript, there;s a different WAM for the degree i started off with in comparision to the degree i trasnferred to

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
yes thats what I mean.
Say im doing com/arts at usyd.
i complete 3 years with a 6.0 GPA and then transfer to com/arts at unsw.
a year later, I decide that I don't want to stay at unsw and want to go back to usyd for the 5th year. However, my GPA for the previous year at UNSW was only a measly 4.0, and that counted under 1.0 terms gives a really crap result. It won't let me transfer to usyd, even though my GPA over the 4 years would be (lets say) 5.50, and it will also be worth more since over 3.0 terms were completed
yes, thats plausable. but i mean, you wouldn't really transfer back to a uni you transferred from..

it can be advantageous on the flipside, "clean slate".
(btw, no gpa at unsw)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Sarah said:
It's calculated based on the amount of subjects u completed in the last degree you did.

At UNSW I also think your GPA/WAM is reset when you transfer to another degree within the uni. At least on my academic transcript, there;s a different WAM for the degree i started off with in comparision to the degree i trasnferred to
yeh exactly- u did an internal xfer thats why?

but with me, no wam, no gpa, only a grade of "T" = "transferred"

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Just on that fail and reattempt thing

Your academic transcript looks like this if you fail and do it again

S1 2005
XXXX1001 66 CR
XXXX1001 80 DN
XXXX1001 70 CR
MATH1001 30 FL

S2 2005
XXXX1002 66 CR
XXXX1002 80 DN
XXXX1002 70 CR
MATH1001 60 PS

At least I assume thats what it'd look like

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
Just on that fail and reattempt thing

Your academic transcript looks like this if you fail and do it again

S1 2005
XXXX1001 66 CR
XXXX1001 80 DN
XXXX1001 70 CR
MATH1001 30 FL

S2 2005
XXXX1002 66 CR
XXXX1002 80 DN
XXXX1002 70 CR
MATH1001 60 PS

At least I assume thats what it'd look like
Assuming all 6uoc

wam = sum of all 8sub marks / 8
or
wam = sum of 7sub pass marks / 8 ?

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Grizzly said:
yeh exactly- u did an internal xfer thats why?

but with me, no wam, no gpa, only a grade of "T" = "transferred"
Even when you transfer within UNSW and you get subjects credited from your previous degree to your current degree, a "T" appears next to the subject.

Your WAM starts again even if you get subjects transferred over.

e.g If i did Micro and Macro under B Arts and transferred to B Commerce, my commerce wam would not include the micro and macro subjects. It would have a "T" next to those subjects through.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
id say its the latter.
how does wam differ to gpa :p gpa is calculated the same way

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
ahh i get it sarah..

gpa is american system...lol...i think wams better..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Narelle said:
oh... but I don't think it's right that your second attempt goes totally unacknowledge
I agree with you. I think your first fail should be recorded, along with your pass with subsequent attempts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)