Does anyone have a depressed parent? (1 Viewer)

Efficient5

HSC
My mum is depressed. She has been on medication for ages and still gets depressed for weeks at a time. It's so bad, and very annoying as well. She always says negative things and it makes me see the world negatively. Hate it hate it.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
man, that's really sad. has she considered taking medication?

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Could you enlighten us as to why she's feeling down?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Maybe you could see a counselor who would be able to help you with how your mother being depressed makes you feel and give you some ideas on how to support her? There are also lots of internet sites that have info about support someone who is depressed.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
my mum has some symptoms of depression [going to a psychologist to see what exactly she has], so i know what you mean. i'm sure my mum isn't nearly as bad as yours though, but i understand what you mean about the negatives. my mum is always angry, i'll do something nice for her [ie, clean the kitchen or something] and she'll harp on about how i haven't done a load of washing recently, instead of looking at what i've done. or i'll get home and the first thing she'll say to me is that i have work to do, my room needs to be cleaned, i need to do washing, etc, instead of even saying hello. she usually speaks really aggressively to the rest of the fam, especially if they say something that she doesn't agree with. so yeah, i remotely understand what you're going through. it sucks =[[.

lychnobity

HSC
my mum has some symptoms of depression [going to a psychologist to see what exactly she has], so i know what you mean. i'm sure my mum isn't nearly as bad as yours though, but i understand what you mean about the negatives. my mum is always angry, i'll do something nice for her [ie, clean the kitchen or something] and she'll harp on about how i haven't done a load of washing recently, instead of looking at what i've done. or i'll get home and the first thing she'll say to me is that i have work to do, my room needs to be cleaned, i need to do washing, etc, instead of even saying hello. she usually speaks really aggressively to the rest of the fam, especially if they say something that she doesn't agree with. so yeah, i remotely understand what you're going through. it sucks =[[.
Huh? I thought all mums are like this.

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Huh? I thought all mums were like this.
most mums are naggy and stuff, which she always used to be like, but since about two years ago she speaks really aggressively all the time, and yells at my five year old sister [kindergarten btw] for not doing her homework properly, and just stuff like that.

kwabon

Banned
HSC
Huh? I thought all mums were like this.
yeh, well my mum is like that as well, and there is really nothing wrong with her. lol, hermand your mum is not depressed. she is normal.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
yeh, well my mum is like that as well, and there is really nothing wrong with her. lol, hermand your mum is not depressed. she is normal.
eh. fair enough. the doctor told her she was depressed. so yeah =||.

i just reckon she's menopausal haha.

lychnobity

HSC
eh. fair enough. the doctor told her she was depressed. so yeah =||.

i just reckon she's menopausal haha.
If that's the case, watch out, menopausal mums are moody as hell. And even more easily angered than usual.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
If that's the case, watch out, menopausal mums are moody as hell. And even more easily angered than usual.
the doctor reckons she's not. i think he's lying. i smell some sort of conspiracy =pp.

bluey12

HSC
I completely undesrtand what you are going through...my mum suffers from it and it is horrible at home and there are so many things going through your mind, conflicting messages of anger and compassion, wanting them to be the 'parent' sometimes too...Im not one (not that there is anything wrong with it) who ever saw myself going to a councellor. But the best thing I would say is to go to the councellor what have you got to loose - that sounds simplistic but its true - its completely confidential and a smart thing to do, take initiative of your life - it helped so much for her to listen to me etc. So yeah when i saw this post i 'needed to say something' :)...but yeah go to someone who knows what theyre talking about and can give you advice...it might be hard but seriously it helped me so much and I hope things improve for you, your family and your mum!

rozymisty

HSC
I know what you are going through. our family has endured domestic violence and we got out of it and mum had to start anew with like finances and work etc. She finally went back to work and being a teacher doesnt pay a lot and she's depressed about work giving her teh shits last year and causing so many problems, and then my sister getting depressed and suicidal that doesnt make her feel happy.

Hm i think mum is less stressed when she's around our dogs and out walking that relaxes her.

Prob just give your mum some room. Let her relax a bit or something. otherwise get some counselling for yourself so that you can try and help her out.

HSC
N/A
My stepmother does an take lots of painkillers to numb herself from the reality that life is, well, random, unfair - an ultimately meaningless existence - and she finds pastel colors soothing!

JB10

HSC
Which one of my sisters are you?

kawaiinlove

HSC
Yeah, my mum is depressed, so is my dad but he won't admit it. I've got depresssion as well, my brother too, aunty, nan, it's a family thing lol. Mum and I both take meds, they help me a lot but not so much mum. Whenever mum is down it gets me down too.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
That really sucks, kawaiinlove. What's it like to be depressed? What makes you think your dad is depressed if he hasn't been diagnosed?

kawaiinlove

HSC
That really sucks, kawaiinlove. What's it like to be depressed? What makes you think your dad is depressed if he hasn't been diagnosed?
Ummm depression can be a combination of things and it's not the same for everyone. For me, before my meds, I used to picture the world without me and imagine how great it would be if I wasn't there. Since mum and I are both depressed and no longer ashamed, we look at dad and can tell he needs help. He's very touchy, he hits the roof over anything, we know he just needs somehting to calm him down but yeah, he denies that there's anything wrong.

Brontecat

HSC
im not sure if this has been mentioned but is your mum getting the help she requires? maybe she needs something else instead of just medication?
maybe you should try take some time out yourself and acknowledge that you can have views independent of your mums like thinking about the positives if you can? :confused: sorri i cant be more help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)