• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does anyone have a depressed parent? (2 Viewers)

MissMadiD

HSC
Thats a really sucky thing to be dealing with on top of your last years of school.
Perhaps you should talk to someone yourself to stop you from going down the same path that she has gone down, to keep yourself healthy.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
My mum is depressed. She has been on medication for ages and still gets depressed for weeks at a time. It's so bad, and very annoying as well. She always says negative things and it makes me see the world negatively. Hate it hate it.
My mum has had schizophrenia way before i was born and she has been treated by the same few doctors ever since. I never knew she had schizophrenia until last week. I always knew there was something not quite right with mum, she would always seem to have her moments, she feels guilty over nothing etcetera. Though i do recall in my younger years going with mum to a mental health centre every Friday afternoon. But i never knew she had schizo, just thought it was some mental illness. How foolish i was.

She takes zyprexa and aropax. She suffers depression, psychosis from this schizophrenia she's had for over two decades.

I once caught her trying to cut. :bomb:

Also i was wondering if mental illnesses are hereditary because i seem to be depressed too but i'm not on medication nor have i seen a doctor.

Huh? I thought all mums are like this.
I know you were referring to hermand's post but i'm not sure all mums are like this. Just sayin'.

I completely undesrtand what you are going through...my mum suffers from it and it is horrible at home and there are so many things going through your mind, conflicting messages of anger and compassion, wanting them to be the 'parent' sometimes too...Im not one (not that there is anything wrong with it) who ever saw myself going to a councellor. But the best thing I would say is to go to the councellor what have you got to loose - that sounds simplistic but its true - its completely confidential and a smart thing to do, take initiative of your life - it helped so much for her to listen to me etc. So yeah when i saw this post i 'needed to say something' :)...but yeah go to someone who knows what theyre talking about and can give you advice...it might be hard but seriously it helped me so much and I hope things improve for you, your family and your mum!
I understand too. My mum also has a severe form of depression.

dux&src

HSC
Yeah, my mum is depressed, so is my dad but he won't admit it. I've got depresssion as well, my brother too, aunty, nan, it's a family thing lol. Mum and I both take meds, they help me a lot but not so much mum. Whenever mum is down it gets me down too.
So do you think mental illnesses are heridetary?

Jeee

Banned
HSC
My mum keeps saying she's depressed but I think she just needs to spice up her life. :party:
I think the nine til five desk job really does her head in. My mummy needs a break. :( My dad... sigh. He's very passive and contains everything inside, he implodes. I feel sorry for him.

dux&src

HSC
My mum keeps saying she's depressed but I think she just needs to spice up her life. :party:
I think the nine til five desk job really does her head in. My mummy needs a break. :( My dad... sigh. He's very passive and contains everything inside, he implodes. I feel sorry for him.
That's what i need, a lil spice in my life. :lol: My mum has a break but when she forgets her medication ZOMGGGGGGGG i get the screaming of a lifetime..i end up crying in my bed under the blanket sometimes.

Passive fathers? I would feel sorry for him too if he just keeps everything inside.

danal353

HSC
My mum is depressed. She has been on medication for ages and still gets depressed for weeks at a time. It's so bad, and very annoying as well. She always says negative things and it makes me see the world negatively. Hate it hate it.
:(

HSC
Depressed is such a harsh word, my parents aren't depressed but adequately undesirability not themselves from time to time.

But right now they're Super :D

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Getting depressed because one or both of your parents is depressed just turns into a vicious cycle, where they bring you down, then you bring them down and so on, so forth. You just have to be strong for your parent/s. This will make them happier and in turn, make you happier, which is a much nicer cycle. It is hard, I know, but we are young and it's easier for us than it is for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)