Chemistry or Economics? (1 Viewer)

Crystal Cuckoo

HSC
Chemistry :D

It requires less essay-writing, and it scales better.

However, I went to a few Eco lessons at school last term (during frees) and it was actually really interesting. Shame it required twice as much work as Chem needed.

hollaholla

HSC
Seriously, a lot of people find CHEM 'dry and boring' because they do not have a sound knowledge of the basics eg formulae+eqs+balancing etc. I personally love it NOW even though i hated it in year 11.
Eco on the other hand is unbelievably interesting at the start...and in my view the course starts to get a lil..non-interesting LOL as time moves on. ( I do not wish to use the word boring).

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Seriously, a lot of people find CHEM 'dry and boring' because they do not have a sound knowledge of the basics eg formulae+eqs+balancing etc. I personally love it NOW even though i hated it in year 11.
Eco on the other hand is unbelievably interesting at the start...and in my view the course starts to get a lil..non-interesting LOL as time moves on. ( I do not wish to use the word boring).
the equations in economics at uni are dead boring.
i bet they still are in the hsc.

chemistry is more fun because you learn about real physical objects things and not just coins and notes or a concept like funds or transactions.

nubsicle

HSC
N/A
Having done both chemistry and economics - and scored high in both. I must say its very hard and challenging to embrace both subjects without conflict.

Throughout the year it was a struggle to come out of a chemistry class with that "sciencetific mind" and go into an economics class with that "logical mind".

Both courses can be very challenging, chemistry perhaps a bit moreso than economics. Nevertheless, each person is better at one topic than another. I honestly recommend going with what your good with at the moment.
Just remember chem may scale a bit better though economics is easier to score higher marks in.

oh and whoever thinks you do economics to study it in uni is completely stupid...

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Do Economics.

And people - stop talking about scaling. It's fucking stupid.
If a subject is easier then you are more likely to do well in it.
If a subject is difficult, you are more likely to fail.
So it all works out.
Don't concern yourself with scaling.
This.
Seriously, don't pick a subject "just because it scales well" because if you end up hating it or whatever it'll just pull you down.
If anything have a look at the content of both textbooks, and maybe think about what subjects you currently enjoy better; science or commerce/geography/random social science subject you do in year10

FTW

HSC
:burn:There aren't enough people to do economics and now everybody at school is being dumb... we only have around 45 people in the year so if there is a problem with just 4 people that = around 10% and all the lines and getting stuffed. Also my school has never run Eco before (it had its first year 12 last year) so maybe its a good thing. Looks like chemistry isn't going to be changed after all so I guess I'm stuck with business studies.

macw

HSC
Do not choose any subject based on scaling!
It's one of the most idiotic things to do - there is only 9 people in my economics class (including me), and at least 6 of those people are failing. Getting below 30%. They should never have chosen economics and I know that the only reason most of them chose it is because it scales well. It's a similar situation (but less extreme) in my chem class.
You should choose subjects that you do well in and enjoy/find interesting.

blackforest

HSC
just choose, would you rather work out problems on the spot using your knowledge or memorise essays?

personally, i think eco is a memory game. just like english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)