Chemistry or Economics? (1 Viewer)

FTW

HSC
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether I should do Chemistry or Economics. Just pick a subect and a reson and post below. I have a vague idea about what to expect from both subjects however I'm not exactly sure what's in the Economics syllabus.

I know some of you are wanting to say just do one of them what ever you like most (the thing is I like them both the same) and lets face it: it is a major hassle to change subjects (well it is at my school anyway) and nobody wants to have to buy excess textbooks which cost a fortune. I also don't want to swap subjects halfway through because then you miss lots of importan info!

Anyway, pick a side and post.

*I don't know what the exact lines will be, they are making some changes but they will probably be in the same line

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Chemistry.

Seeing as you like both, do chemistry unless you want to pursue an economics degree. This is because chemistry scales better :)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether I should do Chemistry or Economics. Just pick a subect and a reson and post below. I have a vague idea about what to expect from both subjects however I'm not exactly sure what's in the Economics syllabus.

I know some of you are wanting to say just do one of them what ever you like most (the thing is I like them both the same) and lets face it: it is a major hassle to change subjects (well it is at my school anyway) and nobody wants to have to buy excess textbooks which cost a fortune. I also don't want to swap subjects halfway through because then you miss lots of importan info!

Anyway, pick a side and post.

*I don't know what the exact lines will be, they are making some changes but they will probably be in the same line

they are both good, in current times economics is more interesting, chem has a fair bit of memorising but its not too bad, depends what you are doing after school, i did both to have science and commerce/business options at uni.

dont listen to the other people on this thread, just look at there subjects all science and 4 unit maths, dont do a social science at all, extremely biased, they are just after scaling ( just look at the above post)

Note: economics is a fair bit more interesting than it is made out to be and the concepts are not very difficult to grasp, stuff like exchange rates and balance of payments are meant to be the hardest content in the course and you can pick it up in a week, its just simple logic.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
there are both good, in current times economics is more interesting, chem has a fair bit of memorising but its not too bad, depends what you are doing after school, i did both to have science and commerce/business options at uni.

dont listen to the other people on this thread, just look at there subjects all science and 4 unit maths, dont do a social science at all, extremely bias, they are just after scaling ( just look at the above post)

Note: economics is a fair bit more intersting than it is made out to be.
Since when is modern not a social science?

Anyway, if you don't prefer one over the other then it'd be a good idea to do the better scaling one as it not only gives you leeway if you screw up a bit but you'll get a higher ATAR for the same aligned mark.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Since when is modern not a social science?

Anyway, if you don't prefer one over the other then it'd be a good idea to do the better scaling one as it not only gives you leeway if you screw up a bit but you'll get a higher ATAR for the same aligned mark.
\

what is history, just memorising dates (lol just with this do you get like half marks if you give the wrong date, like 1 day off) and stuff, wow, sounds fun and worthwile.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
have you thought about what you want to do for uni? Chem seems to open alot of doors, but it requires insane about of work to do well (probably like eco) but is quite dry and boring.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Chemistry. Its interesting and fun, which is why I'm doing it :p

random-1005

Banned
HSC
have you thought about what you want to do for uni? Chem seems to open alot of doors, but it requires insane about of work to do well (probably like eco) but is quite dry and boring.
chem doesnt require much work, a fair bit of the stuff comes up again and again in the course a few times, its good for revision.

Last edited:

boxhunter91

HSC
I do Chem and its definitly the best subject to choose. And yes it is a good scaler. But don't get me wrong Economics is definitly a good choice also. Why not do both. They both scale very well.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
\

what is history, just memorising dates (lol just with this do you get like half marks if you give the wrong date, like 1 day off) and stuff, wow, sounds fun and worthwile.
"What is history" sounds like the topic for a debate in an extension history class >.>

And no, it's not just memorising. You actually have to be able to apply your knowledge to answer a question. By your logic, eco would also just be memorising dates yet you seem to classify it as a social science.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
"What is history" sounds like the topic for a debate in an extension history class >.>

And no, it's not just memorising. You actually have to be able to apply your knowledge to answer a question. By your logic, eco would also just be memorising dates yet you seem to classify it as a social science.

nah, we only need general dates (as in months), you guys in history get hanged if your dates are off buy like 1 second aye?

and economics requires logic

in history just memory, give me some time and i could memorise all your dates and crap, it will be extremely boring, but i reckon i could do it.

Last edited:

emmcyclopedia

HSC
I don't do economics, but I do chemistry and I must say I really like it (will refrain from using the word 'love' though...lol). Chemistry is ONLY dry and boring if you:
a) don't understand what's going on; and/or
b) don't have an interest in sciences as a whole.
Chemistry has the potential to enrich your understanding of biology and physics - at least, that's what I found.

The thing which disappointed me about chem, however, was how erm.. "industrially-focussed" it was. I am more into the biological side of things, and initially found the focus on industrial processes a little annoying. But if you understand chem, you'll be able to keep up. It's the people who are only half keen on chem that tend to lag behind and become despondent, because it can be a bit fast-paced at times.

In regards to workload - I'm not a genius, but I'm doing really well in chem and yet haven't done heaps of work towards it throughout the year. It's not a bludge, but if you are good at wrapping your mind around some of the concepts you should be fine
:wave:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
nah, we only need general dates (as in months), you guys in history get hanged if your dates are off buy like 1 second aye?

and economics requires logic

in history just memory, give me some time and i could memorise all your dates and crap, it will be extremely boring, but i reckon i could do it.
Actually, only the year is required and you can get away with just mentioning the decade it happened in if you're really stuck ^^

random-1005

Banned
HSC
I don't do economics, but I do chemistry and I must say I really like it (will refrain from using the word 'love' though...lol). Chemistry is ONLY dry and boring if you:
a) don't understand what's going on; and/or
b) don't have an interest in sciences as a whole.
Chemistry has the potential to enrich your understanding of biology and physics - at least, that's what I found.

The thing which disappointed me about chem, however, was how erm.. "industrially-focussed" it was. I am more into the biological side of things, and initially found the focus on industrial processes a little annoying. But if you understand chem, you'll be able to keep up. It's the people who are only half keen on chem that tend to lag behind and become despondent, because it can be a bit fast-paced at times.

In regards to workload - I'm not a genius, but I'm doing really well in chem and yet haven't done heaps of work towards it throughout the year. It's not a bludge, but if you are good at wrapping your mind around some of the concepts you should be fine
:wave:

This is especially true if you do it with physics, there is alot of overlap with physics and chem (particularly in the chem montior/management in chem and the ideas to implemenation and quanta to quarks option in physics) in both the the prelim and hsc course. do them together and you have a massive advantage.

lol the whole of ideas to implementation and some of quanta in physics i have just flown through it with the chemistry background knowledge.

Last edited:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Economics. I do both and Chem is a shithouse subject. So fucking shit. Eco on the other hand is awesome. Not many people agree though.

mimzz-09

HSC
I'd say Economics.
However, the two subjects require different tastes, as I would never do Chemistry. I have friends doing it and they absolutely hate it. They both scale well, Chemistry maybe a little better, but I think Economics would be easier to handle than Chemistry. It also matters on what you want to do in uni, as it's a prerequisite for some courses. Good luck :)

Last edited:

spyborg

HSC
N/A
Chemistry.

Seeing as you like both, do chemistry unless you want to pursue an economics degree. This is because chemistry scales better :)
im pretty sure economics scales higher than any science. correct me if im wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)