Chemistry or Economics? (2 Viewers)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Do Chemistry. Economics scales good but it is piss boring.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
im pretty sure economics scales higher than any science. correct me if im wrong.
You are wrong XD

Scales better than bio which most people don't even count as a science but less than chem and physics. It is however, the highest overall scaling social science (modern scales higher in the band 6 region).

High_Pride

HSC
Chem for sure. Half your marks come from Pracs, which are dead easy, and also means that your exams are spaced out more.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Keep in mind scaling is done fresh each year. Don't do subjects purely for the scaling but do it because you like it and/or can do well in it. :)

I find economics very interesting but at times difficult whereas with chemistry i always have my teacher to help me out. :D

Economics and Chemistry are both subjects i enjoy taking.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
I definately agree with whoever made the point about chem being industrially focused, great if you want to be an engineer but painful otherwise. If you love metal, electical reactions and industry you'll love chem otherwise i dont recomend it at all.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Actually, some universities require or recommend that you do Chemistry as a prerequisite if you're considering doing medicine. But I'm still in Year 10 so I wouldn't know whether Chemistry really helps ._. ...

FTW

HSC
Don't worry I'm in year 10 too, that's why I'm asking.

BTW thanks for all the good responses!:)

sugarcraver

HSC
I do both chem and eco..
let me just say, chemistry exams are full of surprises...you must be willing to study hard for the exams..
whereas for eco, if you study properly you'd probably be able to fly through your exams...the questions are quite straight forward and everything links so it's easy to bs when you feel you must lol

Last edited:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Chem is a stupid subject. Eco teaches you how the world goes round. Big difference. And pracs are gay, last week I tried mixing 100ml of Hydrogen Peroxide with 10g KCO3 and 10ml of cobalt chloride and fucking shit teacher made me tip it down the sink because it would have exploded. Next Chem prac I plan on doing something to create an excess of Hydrogen gas then lighting a match on top. The pracs are boring. WATCHING WOOD BURN IS NOT INTERESTING PEOPLE. No I'm not shit at Chem. I just hate the subject.

absorber

HSC
Depends on what you wanna do in uni, I do eco but not chem...They both scale well and all, so I'd say chem, as it's a prerequisite to many uni courses whereas eco is not. I've heard chem is harder though

kwabon

Banned
HSC
Chem is a stupid subject. Eco teaches you how the world goes round. Big difference. And pracs are gay, last week I tried mixing 100ml of Hydrogen Peroxide with 10g KCO3 and 10ml of cobalt chloride and fucking shit teacher made me tip it down the sink because it would have exploded. Next Chem prac I plan on doing something to create an excess of Hydrogen gas then lighting a match on top. The pracs are boring. WATCHING WOOD BURN IS NOT INTERESTING PEOPLE. No I'm not shit at Chem. I just hate the subject.
just because you are shit at chemistry ......
oh wait.

*shakes fist at duckcowhybrid*

absorber

HSC
DO NOT choose subjects based on how much they scale, especially when they both scale well. Last year, eco and physics were basically the same in terms of scaling, while chem was a bit higher. But if you want an easier subject that scales well, choose eco

HSC
[quote Anyway, if you don't prefer one over the other then it'd be a good idea to do the better scaling one as it not only gives you leeway if you screw up a bit but you'll get a higher ATAR for the same aligned mark.[/quote]

Chemistry may scale better, but it's so much easier to get a band 5/6 doing economics than chemistry. Last year 48% of the state got band 5/6 in economics with 15% getting band 6. This may have a bit to do with the ability of the student candidature, but's it's also because it's a pretty easy subject to score well in.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I agree with duckcowhybrid

chemistry is boring. I don't give a shit about what the structure of barium sulfate is.
eco, on the other hand, you learn about the world.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with duckcowhybrid

chemistry is boring. I don't give a shit about what the structure of barium sulfate is.
eco, on the other hand, you learn about the world.
Be thankful that you both get to play with chemicals anyway. The pracs we're forced to do are calculating bloody water energy increase, watching colours change in a few (non cool chemicals) and lighting hydrogen on fire every few lessons....

I actually enjoy the theory side to chemistry though, so that is a great benefit for me :)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
I do both chem and eco..
let me just say, chemistry exams are full of surprises...you must be willing to study hard for the exams..
whereas for eco, if you study properly you'd probably be able to fly through your exams...the questions are quite straight forward and everything links so it's easy to bs when you feel you must lol

how is chem full of surprises?

just look at the past hsc questions, they are so predictable (or more so than any other subject).

theres always galvanic cell, bromine water test, acidic oxides, ozone, titrations, history of acid theory, Haber process, water purification(this one is about 6 marks in every paper) etc

a fair few chem test would have atleast half of the above topics in them.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
just because you are shit at chemistry ......
oh wait.

*shakes fist at duckcowhybrid*
Bahaha yeah. I don't know what your teacher is on but mine doesn't let me do anything explosive accidentally or without her doing it :'(

how is chem full of surprises?

just look at the past hsc questions, they are so predictable (or more so than any other subject).

theres always galvanic cell, bromine water test, acidic oxides, ozone, titrations, history of acid theory, Haber process, water purification(this one is about 6 marks in every paper) etc

a fair few chem test would have atleast half of the above topics in them.
Exactly. There's this wonderful book called success one that you should read....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)