BOS Proposal (1 Viewer)

Do you think this BOS should create official trial test papers?

• Total voters

seanieg89

HSC
Does anyone have a good LaTeX template for creating papers that look exactly like the BoS ones?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Harrisony is providing the formatted template to follow the BOS-style for exams.

SanjoyM

HSC
I'm happy to write English Advanced and AOS papers for English :)
Have marked questions on this and have taught others modules other than the those I am doing: :)
Happy to mark it too!

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Well it would be nice to see some trial papers made. But ohhh I really thought there was someone who is going to get married -_-

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
I don't understand. what's the point? there should be an indifferent option in the poll.

what would make this exam different to any other trial? probably not going to change a band 5 to a band 6.

mods should just predict some of the type of questions that will come up in the following HSC. making an exam is unnecessary and a waste of time but if someone wants to do it, then by all means =/.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't understand. what's the point? there should be an indifferent option in the poll.

what would make this exam different to any other trial? probably not going to change a band 5 to a band 6.

mods should just predict some of the type of questions that will come up in the following HSC. making an exam is unnecessary and a waste of time but if someone wants to do it, then by all means =/.
Because ESPECIALLY for Mathematics Extension 2, there are so FEW schools and teachers who are capable of making papers that truly reflect the difficulty of the HSC, and I think students deserve better.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Because ESPECIALLY for Mathematics Extension 2, there are so FEW schools and teachers who are capable of making papers that truly reflect the difficulty of the HSC, and I think students deserve better.
well, not all schools have the same difficulty for obvious reasons and in the end it doesn't matter mark wise. also, not all schools cover all the same topics by the time it's trials.

Does it really matter if it reflects the difficulty of HSC? Just practice independant/cssa/selective schools/hsc papers. there's no single paper that accurately depicts the difficulty of the trials.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
well, not all schools have the same difficulty for obvious reasons and in the end it doesn't matter mark wise. also, not all schools cover all the same topics by the time it's trials.

Does it really matter if it reflects the difficulty of HSC? Just practice independant/cssa/selective schools/hsc papers. there's no single paper that accurately depicts the difficulty of the trials.
It does matter because the last thing you want is to go into a HSC exam thinking "I got 90% raw for trials, I'll do the same for HSC!" and getting complacent, then getting destroyed in the actual HSC.

Consider the CSSA Trials for MX2 just a couple days ago. It is VERY similar to 2010 HSC Q8 and what was the general feedback? "What the hell was that!?", "I didn't even understand the question."

Also, few students have access to the more recent Independent and CSSA papers due to their strict policies on copyright.

Furthermore, even SELECTIVE schools provide very straightforward and stock-standard MX2 papers. For example, you'd think Baulkum Hills/Sydney Tech would have HSC-difficulty Trials... wrong. If anything, Sydney Grammar and Sydney Boys provide the best papers in that sense. Maybe also NSB.

Past HSC papers are the obvious choice, but most of the top achievers would have attempted basically every single Q8 from 1990 onwards. Those types of questions are hard to come by, which was why I had my BOS MX2 seminar to address them specifically, and they all even received a booklet full of those questions.

TheBloop

HSC
It does matter because the last thing you want is to go into a HSC exam thinking "I got 90% raw for trials, I'll do the same for HSC!" and getting complacent, then getting destroyed in the actual HSC.
I totes agree with this (extension one. Whoops).

Consider the CSSA Trials for MX2 just a couple days ago. It is VERY similar to 2010 HSC Q8 and what was the general feedback? "What the hell was that!?", "I didn't even understand the question."

Also, few students have access to the more recent Independent and CSSA papers due to their strict policies on copyright.

Furthermore, even SELECTIVE schools provide very straightforward and stock-standard MX2 papers. For example, you'd think Baulkum Hills/Sydney Tech would have HSC-difficulty Trials... wrong. If anything, Sydney Grammar and Sydney Boys provide the best papers in that sense. Maybe also NSB.
I agree with this.

I believe syd grammar maths papers are definitely the hardest/best (at least for mx1).

addoil

HSC
To whoever is hosting the upcoming bos HSC meeting,
can they PM me??

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can reserve it when I organise and post up the event.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Past HSC papers are the obvious choice, but most of the top achievers would have attempted basically every single Q8 from 1990 onwards. Those types of questions are hard to come by, which was why I had my BOS MX2 seminar to address them specifically, and they all even received a booklet full of those questions.
Wish I could rep this. Ind and CSSA papers can be quite hard to find with the copyright. Some schools set ridiculously easy trials, or on the other hand very hard trials compared to the other assessments all year. More resources can only benefit students.

Also, few students have access to the Independent and CSSA papers due to their strict policies on copyright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)