BOS Proposal (1 Viewer)

Do you think this BOS should create official trial test papers?

• Total voters

addoil

HSC
Vote in the poll if you think the BOS admin/moderators should create official trial test papers like the CSSA and Independents (to be used for BOS members, not to actually sell them to schools) :spin:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
We already are working on that. I have been working on he Extension 2 and Extension 1 Mathematics papers since a month ago.

During the next school holidays, there will be a 'Pre-HSC Meat' where people sit for BOS-written exams, then marked, then a seminar going through the test.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Yes.

But I don't want to fund the dogs.

Plus most admins/mods don't write/haven't written papers before. Hence questions may be a tad off.

Plus if it happened not all subjects would be catered for

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
My focus at the moment is Extension 1 and 2 Mathematics, because not many schools or companies offer papers that truly reflect the difficulty of the HSC. Especially for Extension 2 Mathematics. This is because quite often for Extension 2, the last question is a proof of a well-known identity or property, that many teachers don't have access to, so their Q6/8 tends to be something boring like Mechanics or Inequalities/Induction, which does not accurately reflect the difficulty of the HSC.

2U on the other hand can be written by any teacher or tutor, because the questions can only get so difficult before venturing into 3U/4U difficulty.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
My focus at the moment is Extension 1 and 2 Mathematics, because not many schools or companies offer papers that truly reflect the difficulty of the HSC. Especially for Extension 2 Mathematics. This is because quite often for Extension 2, the last question is a proof of a well-known identity or property, that many teachers don't have access to, so their Q6/8 tends to be something boring like Mechanics or Inequalities/Induction, which does not accurately reflect the difficulty of the HSC.

2U on the other hand can be written by any teacher or tutor, because the questions can only get so difficult before venturing into 3U/4U difficulty.
Cool beans

Looking forward to trying your 4U one

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
We do have a few people who are either writing or considering writing some practice exams.

Plus most admins/mods don't write/haven't written papers before. Hence questions may be a tad off.

Plus if it happened not all subjects would be catered for
However, this is mostly true. Keep in mind that this isn't a job for us. We don't get paid, and none of us have a real background in writing papers. Writing papers (especially ones that are any good) takes a lot of time and effort that many of us, particularly the ones doing jobs, Honours or Post-graduate degrees, simply don't have.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Yes. Carrot is writing.
I saw. I meant was it just Carrots?

Because I know a lot of mods, such as Determine who are the only ones in that field on this site are extremely busy (as he has full time uni and work)

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A

Schools are gna buy off ya?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I saw. I meant was it just Carrots?

Because I know a lot of mods, such as Determine who are the only ones in that field on this site are extremely busy (as he has full time uni and work)
Oh, right. I thought that might have been what you meant.

Carrot I think is the only one actively writing. I'm interested, but I don't think I'll have the time to go back and look through the rubric of the subjects I'm good at.

And anything with essays takes a long time to mark, and you have to write separate questions for different modules, obviously not all of which we did. And with some of the older mods, the modules have changed completely, so we haven't done any of the current ones.

It's a great idea, but I don't know how plausible it will be to do.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Schools are gna buy off ya?
No school would buy papers written by somebody 'unqualified' ie: No degree in Education, despite the fact that I disagree with this.

Carrot I think is the only one actively writing. I'm interested, but I don't think I'll have the time to go back and look through the rubric of the subjects I'm good at.

And anything with essays takes a long time to mark, and you have to write separate questions for different modules, obviously not all of which we did. And with some of the older mods, the modules have changed completely, so we haven't done any of the current ones.

English papers would be, in my opinion, MUCH harder to write and mark than Mathematics papers due to the vast variety of texts etc.

loapowm

Banned
HSC

Wait? Mark? I hope you don't intend to mark them. Obviously designing a trial is hard- especially with English but marking them will be impossible

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
English papers would be, in my opinion, MUCH harder to write and mark than Mathematics papers due to the vast variety of texts etc.
I agree. I have expressed that it would be possible, but I do think it would be harder. A paper 1 would probably be the most likely option, if we were to go ahead with it. Paper 2 has so many modules to cover.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
No school would buy papers written by somebody 'unqualified' ie: No degree in Education, despite the fact that I disagree with this.
I too.

You don't need to be technically qualified to write papers to write good ones. Look at Ian Moore (inside joke)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wait? Mark? I hope you don't intend to mark them. Obviously designing a trial is hard- especially with English but marking them will be impossible
I would wager that marking would only be done at BOS meats, if done at all. I was just mentioning it as a limitation.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
I would wager that marking would only be done at BOS meats, if done at all. I was just mentioning it as a limitation.
Oh okay. When you said marking I thought wow. English is a pain to mark (from what I have seen).

Marking at BoS meats would be pretty cool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)