Bad Teachers? (1 Viewer)

aceer

HSC
Anyone else have terrible teachers who would rather waste their time helping students who will do miserably in the hsc rather than helping the better students get top end marks?

My English teacher ignores myself and a few other students so she can spend all her time with the bottom kids who don't even listen to her.

Eg155

HSC
I have the opposite for English. The people who get first, only the very top one mind you, gets the most attention.

For other subjects it is the same, the top kids get help moreso.

Aysce

HSC
Anyone else have terrible teachers who would rather waste their time helping students who will do miserably in the hsc rather than helping the better students get top end marks?

My English teacher ignores myself and a few other students so she can spend all her time with the bottom kids who don't even listen to her.
My teacher paid attention to all students of all levels in my english class but spent a little more time with those that are struggling for obvious reasons. Clearly, your teacher's distribution of attention isn't too good...

enoilgam

HSC
Most of my teachers sort of helped everyone, but some focused on the top end more. But I think that had more to do with the fact that those kind of teachers had the philosophy if you cared, they cared. If you didnt, they werent interested.

Maryanayeah

HSC
talk to your teacher about it, maybe they will change the ways they teach

Deliriously

HSC
It's tough being in a teacher's position because you cannot neglect the lower performing kids as they are just as important as the students on the other end. The teacher must've believed it was more important to improve the marks of the bottom students to bring up the cohort's average but at the same time, trusting the kids at the top to maintain their place.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

It is better for EVERYONE if there is a better spread, so helping the struggling students is good.

enoilgam

HSC
It's tough being in a teacher's position because you cannot neglect the lower performing kids as they are just as important as the students on the other end. The teacher must've believed it was more important to improve the marks of the bottom students to bring up the cohort's average but at the same time, trusting the kids at the top to maintain their place.
I think thats true in theory, although in practice, there is little a teacher can do to help many lower performing students, simply because most of them dont care (obviously, some low performing students do care a great deal and they are often lost in translation so to speak). You cant motivate the unmotivated and realistically there is little a teacher can do for students who arent willing to do the work. In contrast, a teacher can have a far greater impact on students who are willing to work. Most of the time, these students are towards the top of their classes.

Obviously, this would be different in a selective or other high ranking school, but in most high schools, teachers choose to focus on the top end because they can get more out of them. I am not saying this is a good thing, but thats just the nature of school I think.

Aysce

HSC
I think thats true in theory, although in practice, there is little a teacher can do to help many lower performing students, simply because most of them dont care (obviously, some low performing students do care a great deal and they are often lost in translation so to speak). You cant motivate the unmotivated and realistically there is little a teacher can do for students who arent willing to do the work. In contrast, a teacher can have a far greater impact on students who are willing to work. Most of the time, these students are towards the top of their classes.

Obviously, this would be different in a selective or other high ranking school, but in most high schools, teachers choose to focus on the top end because they can get more out of them. I am not saying this is a good thing, but thats just the nature of school I think.
This is true to an extent and I've experienced it first hand (I'm not trying to brag, just supporting your point). I 100% agree with you on this point Enoil, this is exactly what happens in my school as well.

Deliriously

HSC
This is true to an extent and I've experienced it first hand (I'm not trying to brag, just supporting your point). I 100% agree with you on this point Enoil, this is exactly what happens in my school as well.
Yes, I definitely agree it is true to an extent and it is much harder to work with the bottom kids in lower rank schools. However, I stumbled on this video which I thought was very interesting. http://vimeo.com/47236108

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think it's wrong just to help top end kids as a teacher. You also bear the responsibility of helping everyone no matter what their academic background is. However it is more difficult to help kids of lower academic background. Only the dedicated ones help them.

D94

HSC
N/A
It's also beneficial for higher ranked students that lower ranked students get all the help they can get. Your moderated assessment marks are largely impacted by how your cohort's marks are distributed. Your cohort's exam marks which range from 95 down to 80 will give you a better moderated assessment mark than your cohort achieving marks from 95 down to 60.

enoilgam

HSC
It's also beneficial for higher ranked students that lower ranked students get all the help they can get. Your moderated assessment marks are largely impacted by how your cohort's marks are distributed. Your cohort's exam marks which range from 95 down to 80 will give you a better moderated assessment mark than your cohort achieving marks from 95 down to 60.
True - but realistically, people who are on the bottom often dont care enough to help out. Teachers can only do so much - you may have the greatest teacher in the state, but if most of the cohort really isnt willing to put in the work, the teacher isnt going to be able to do much.

What your saying is 100% true though in terms of the way the HSC works with regards to aligning and such - but "pulling up a cohort" is easier said than done in an average school.

D94

HSC
N/A
True - but realistically, people who are on the bottom often dont care enough to help out. Teachers can only do so much - you may have the greatest teacher in the state, but if most of the cohort really isnt willing to put in the work, the teacher isnt going to be able to do much.

What your saying is 100% true though in terms of the way the HSC works with regards to aligning and such - but "pulling up a cohort" is easier said than done in an average school.
Yes, so really the only other way is to ensure your top is at the very top, somehow segregating your cohort into an upper and lower achieving range, so the top won't be affected. Then again, there are those who do care but just don't understand or are slow learners; those are the students that higher ranked students should help, because they will probably sit in the centre and BOS may not consider this to be a segregated cohort, affecting everyone involved.

I wouldn't call them bad teachers; if the top students are genuinely good, they will be proactive about their education, otherwise, it just appears they are good because everyone else is crap.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There are two ways of seeing this issue and it depends on how the teachers sees the students.

A teacher can see it as:
1. The bottom students are struggling as they can't cope and hence, need more help than the top students that are doing well.
2. The bottom students are struggling as they don't try and hence, they should be ignored and the top students should be given everything because they put in the effort.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Obviously, this would be different in a selective or other high ranking school, but in most high schools, teachers choose to focus on the top end because they can get more out of them.
As a selective student who did quite well in all English subjects I'd have to say with a little reluctance that we did get priority treatment when asking teachers to read over essays or creative writing pieces or for any other help we required. But this was mostly in Year 11 and the start of Year 12. Our English department actually began assisting some, but not all, of the lower performing students because they specifically asked for it. Some students are lazy and did not care about their English marks and this was reflected in their poor ranks and marks and the minimal effort made through out the year. But for those who sought out help, some even approaching the students who were in the top end, their marks did significantly increase. I remember that a few students regularly emailed teachers for help and by the end of the year, they went from averaging 11-12s/20 to averaging 16-17s/20, while the top students weren't really given priority treatment any more. I think the problem with giving the top students priority is that you end up with a cohort that is strong only at the top (at our school it was probably the top 25 students or so that were in sure Band 6 region), while the lower end of the cohort (again the last 25 students out of the 126) performs very weakly and so the spread of marks becomes very large. This might affect moderation negatively (I don't know much about moderation, correct me if I'm wrong) and not benefit the cohort overall as well as it could have if the bottom kids performed better, even if you have some people supposedly 'carrying' the grade. In this manner, the school's reputation/ranking in the state, and teachers too, suffer detriment. There is no point in having a strong head but a weak tail. The stronger kids will benefit if the bottom kids do better, so as a top student, you should be grateful that teachers assist the lower performing children as much as possible. But then of course if they are completely neglecting your existence rather than just not prioritising you that's another story.

I'm not sure if you can call a teacher who is trying to help the poor performing kids a 'bad teacher'. It's obvious that the lower performing kids require more assistance than the higher performing kids so it makes sense for the teacher to apply their attention accordingly. Student motivation is always a problem but a passionate teacher takes it upon themselves to try and help all students achieve and perform which involves solving the motivation problem. They might get tunnel vision and forget about the higher performing students, but realistically speaking, how much more help does a top performing student need from a teacher? If a student is high performing then they have skills and abilities in their subject and that already gives them an advantage, especially in subjects like English. How bad is this 'ignoring' your teacher is doing? If your top is struggling to grasp the concepts of each module then you need to see the teacher personally after class and maybe talk about it. Teachers will want to help those struggling, and as students at the top don't appear to be needing help, the lower performing students rightfully get priority. I think it's selfish to expect that as a top performing student you should be getting equal attention to those who are struggling to perform, but that's just me.

HSC
English Teacher = Absolutely horrible.... It makes me just want to drop down to standard its that bad but I won't be dropping xD

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC

report her to BOS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)