Advanced English? (1 Viewer)

smartalec

HSC
Is an 84 in the school certificate exam a good enough grade to do Advanced?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Definitely. I know people with marks like that who went on to do Extension. It's not uncommon.

occer

HSC
N/A
I got 85 and am doing Advanced, it's really really not a big deal.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yes it is

however I got 87 and I wasn't allowed to do it
simply because I got 50% in the trial sc

occer

HSC
N/A
Well then you just proved it had nothing to do with the real SC then.

bubbrubb

HSC
friend got all band 5s in sc... got 99.85 in hsc.. 98 in examination for adv english.

feel better? :)

Schoey93

HSC
yes it is

however I got 87 and I wasn't allowed to do it
simply because I got 50% in the trial sc
Sorry, but if you really wanted to do it, you could have done it. Schools are not allowed to stop students from studying subjects, they can only RECOMMEND that students not do them.

At Marian Catholic College (my school, Marian College Online) the Coordinators recommend students do a certain level of English, ie if someone in ENG6 chooses Advanced, it is recommended that you don't do it. A person in this situation would have to sign a contract that effectively says, "I accept full responsibility for any poor marks I might achieve in English (Advanced) that have an adverse impact on my ATAR".

:)

Edit: By the way, I got 88 in the English-literacy test. I was told by the Assistant English Coordinator, Mrs Ryan (admittedly this was before the results came out, but still), "You should be doing Advanced. Do Advanced, if you can't do Advanced, then who can, James?"

By the way, OP, the School Certificate tests are a very bad indicator of your English ability - it's easy to be stressed on the day and hence do poorly in the test. Also, 84 is a GREAT mark... don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you don't believe me, read the Band Descriptors (these tell you what a Band 1 - Band 6 student can do): http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDSC_2009_10.html

Last edited:

speedofsound

HSC
yes. i got 85 in the English SC and came 5/70 in prelim for advanced english.

oh and i also did ext 1 for a good portion of the year, but dropped it because i hated it.

CecilyMare

HSC
friend got all band 5s in sc... got 99.85 in hsc.. 98 in examination for adv english.

feel better? :)
Feeling tres awesome from that.

I find it so funny how getting examples of others doing badly in junior years or at least somewhat previously and then doing extremely well in the actual HSC, uplifts us. I'll be taking 4u english in Yr 12, though.

Schoey93

HSC
4U would have been AWESOME. It's such a pity my school runs extensions at the same time as VET subjects, no exceptions (except for distance education)! I'm going to miss extensions badly... but Hospo will make me feel better I'd say...

I thought, "Hm. Do I want to spend 104 minutes analysing fiction every Monday afternoon, or would I prefer to spend 3.5 hours preparing, cooking and serving food; which is my passion?" Much to the scaling-conscious executive staff's dismay, I chose Hospo (hands-down). You've got to do what you love... scaling is just a bitch... and I dislike people who fall for the trap of choosing 'good scalers' that they hate.

Sorry about the tangent! :D

tbohlsennswssrg

Greenver_420
HSC
Is an 84 in the school certificate exam a good enough grade to do Advanced?
Is a Band 4 in the SC enough to do Advanced English?

EDIT: "Reads and understands the main ideas and issues in a variety of texts written for the general community. Locates and interprets information in written and visual material and infers meaning from context. Identifies the purpose of the material and links particular features to the audience and purpose. Writes a first draft in response to stimulus material provided. Writes with a clear purpose, using tone and language appropriately. Organises writing into paragraphs. Produces sentences that vary in length and type. Uses vocabulary to suit purpose and audience. Demonstrates skills in spelling, grammar and punctuation, with infrequent errors." - 2009 Bored of Studies band 4 description (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BD5379100.pdf - PDF Format, 53K)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 Preliminary Subjects

Advanced English
Mathematics (2U)
Physics
Earth and Environmental Science
Modern History
Information Technology (Cert. II - TAFE TVET)
Work Studies (going to dump after y11 h/yearly to reduce to 12 units)

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
School Certificate shouldn't be an indicator of what you're capable of. A lot of kids who are going onto Yr 12 don't give a damn what they get in the school certificate. :p

Sayangliss

HSC
I know people who got band 6 in Eng in SC and stuffed Advanced Eng HSC. I also know those who got band 4 and did Advanced and gunned it.

Aerath said:
School Certificate shouldn't be an indicator of what you're capable of. A lot of kids who are going onto Yr 12 don't give a damn what they get in the school certificate.
^This.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)