Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleboy79

HSC
Is it possible to drop Ancient history at the end of the preliminary course to pick up modern history????

Cynisca

HSC
No, only because there is a certain number of Preliminary hours required to complete before beginning the HSC course. By all means, try to change if you wish, however your chances are very slim due to the BOS requirements. Good luck with it!

Last edited:

rawrliongirl

HSC
Well, if you're an advanced student you can always ask aiming4dental school. If you're not, then toughie. Such is the way of discrimination.

In all seriousness, an essay doesn't have to be sophisticated argueably. You can get away with a simple argument + simple language as long as your argument flows.

What part of your essay specifically are you teachers asking you to make more complicated? If it's language, then just invest in a thesaurus (or look up thesauruses online). If it's your argument, then I suggest you to incorporate more themes or examine your current issue/topic in greater detail. Also, when you can, aim for textual integrity as well.
ahah well yes I'm an advanced student.

Well, I asked my teacher today and he said it's my vocabulary. He suggested that when I write, I should take a moment a try to think of a better word to use. My arguments usually flow quite well and I do use technical terms, it's just my vocabulary that lets me down.
I always have a thesaurus with me when I write, but I find it hard to use sophisticated vocabulary under exam conditions. How can I use a wider vocabulary when I'm stressed under exam conditions?
It's a shame, I used to be an avid reader and often read sort of difficult texts so I did have quite a wide vocabulary for my age, but last year I sort of just stopped reading. Instead I listen to music 24/7 and I've sort of lost all those words I used to know. Last year it took me 8 months to read a book that would usually take maybe a month. It's taken me since January to read only half of the Fellowship of the Ring when I usually, by now I'd probably have finished the first 2 books in the trilogy - and no it's not because i dont find it interesting or because its too hard. I genuinely enjoy it, I'm just not a book worm anymore D:

hsclife

HSC
Should i drop eco and pick up senior science for hsc? Im doing 12 units right now

hsclife

HSC
Need more information about your performance in economics etc
I made a post under senior science which youve already replied to :) im doing below average for eco and not enjoying the subject

Fiction

HSC
ahah well yes I'm an advanced student.

Well, I asked my teacher today and he said it's my vocabulary. He suggested that when I write, I should take a moment a try to think of a better word to use. My arguments usually flow quite well and I do use technical terms, it's just my vocabulary that lets me down.
I always have a thesaurus with me when I write, but I find it hard to use sophisticated vocabulary under exam conditions. How can I use a wider vocabulary when I'm stressed under exam conditions?
It's a shame, I used to be an avid reader and often read sort of difficult texts so I did have quite a wide vocabulary for my age, but last year I sort of just stopped reading. Instead I listen to music 24/7 and I've sort of lost all those words I used to know. Last year it took me 8 months to read a book that would usually take maybe a month. It's taken me since January to read only half of the Fellowship of the Ring when I usually, by now I'd probably have finished the first 2 books in the trilogy - and no it's not because i dont find it interesting or because its too hard. I genuinely enjoy it, I'm just not a book worm anymore D:
If it's an improtu essay - like you're given the essay question on the day, then your teacher may be marking you a bit too harshly as the essay you churn out is equivalent (quality wise) to a first draft.
Vocab can make your argument convoluted so try and use words in contexts you have seen them in before. I personally don't have a huge vocabulary and it's never been an issue in my essays (it' hasn't been raised since year 9) I wouldn't worry too much about it UNLESS you're repeating verbs you've already used in say the last paragraph. E.g, ____insert Assertion___ "insert quote" demonstrates _insert effect_____" Don't use the demonstrate again, at least a paragraph later (if you can).

hsclife

HSC
ignore the scaling and imo just drop it.
scaling won't do any good if you do bad.
Yeah thanks for advice , im already doing 12 units so its just as a backup since its much less work than eco and i actually enjoy science

Fiction

HSC
Thanks for staying up this evening to discuss this with me. It's been enjoyable as you've raised a lot of valid points. I'm going to reluctantly concede merit in your first part above - I admit that my take on the credentials of markers has been shifted by my own experiences with tutors and the peers I work alongside that mostly consist of high-achieving students.

Yeah, I should've made it clear that I was merely expanding on what Axio said lol. And cmon m8, sure I may have contradicted myself and had gone off a tangent but that was because I'm really tired and drained from a busy week, so have some grace man. :haha:
I'm glad you enjoyed it lol I'm fairly sure everyone has had a busy week. Hopefully your week will ease.

It's all good, I personally don't care whether you contradict yourself or not (easier for me to point out what I see as flaws). Not quite understanding the bolded bit of your statement but meh.

For the record
Fiction and Axio, you guys have some valid points, but I just want to clear out this debate by pointing out a few of the flaws in your arguments (especially yours Fiction, no offence).
^ don't actually see how that indicates you're agreeing with Axio. I'm interpreting your statement as you disagreeing with both Axio and I, but you're disagreeing with my argument more so.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm glad you enjoyed it lol I'm fairly sure everyone has had a busy week. Hopefully your week will ease.

It's all good, I personally don't care whether you contradict yourself or not (easier for me to point out what I see as flaws). Not quite understanding the bolded bit of your statement but meh.

For the record
He is saying that you have a point and that he had tutoring (but they were high achievers)

Thus that different experience had affected his views in regards to this issue .;;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)