Year 11 2014 Chat :) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
anyway, fms just be sure that you memorised paragraphs are flexible enough to adapt
yeah, but i look up abandoned places and airports during english because i zone out when my teacher constantly talks for 80 minutes. I just get my notes form hsc study guides and spark notes... have been doing that since year 7..
anyways do you like my new sig????

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
yeah, but i look up abandoned places and airports during english because i zone out when my teacher constantly talks for 80 minutes. I just get my notes form hsc study guides and spark notes... have been doing that since year 7..
anyways do you like my new sig????
your sig is ok :haha:

just to let you know, sparknotes is a good start for analysis. however, almost all students will use it so there's not much guarantee for high marks because you won't stand out

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
your sig is ok :haha:

just to let you know, sparknotes is a good start for analysis. however, almost all students will use it so there's not much guarantee for high marks because you won't stand out
so should I get tutoring for english???
i thought the whole hsc was rote learning, except maths...

lpodtouch

HSC
I'm curious. How does everyone here study for English?

I'm alluding to the upcoming/recent exams with an in-class response - essays, creatives..

Does anyone here memorise a generic essay? Or just memorise quotes and the underlying themes/characters of the text? I find it immensely difficult to study whilst expected to write under such onerous time constraints.

astroman

HSC
I'm curious. How does everyone here study for English?

I'm alluding to the upcoming/recent exams with an in-class response - essays, creatives..

Does anyone here memorise a generic essay? Or just memorise quotes and the underlying themes/characters of the text? I find it immensely difficult to study whilst expected to write under such onerous time constraints.
Spark Notes and read other people's essays, that works for me.

Banks

HSC
Just like that our Advanced English teacher has asked us to do an essay for Othello to have for him perfected by next Thursday. Can barely read the notes I've scribbled in my book so SparkNotes will probably be my best friend for the next few days.

matchalolz

HSC
Just like that our Advanced English teacher has asked us to do an essay for Othello to have for him perfected by next Thursday. Can barely read the notes I've scribbled in my book so SparkNotes will probably be my best friend for the next few days.
quit complaining, sometimes I'm only given 2 days notice to whip up an english essay :p
I'm doing my Othello essay as well right now haha

Axio

=o
HSC
you seem like you're good at english and I think you have potential for a band 6 quite honestly.

I swear I'll be one of those people who get a band 5 and bring shame to my school lol
How is this shameful?

Axio

=o
HSC
usually 50%+ of my cohort gets a band 6
(and considering the calibre of my classmates it's likely that 75%+ of my class will get a band 6)
Well I suppose that means that you've got a great chance of getting a band 6! You may be disappointed with a band 5 but it wouldn't be shameful, I'll be proud of you whatever your ATAR :p.

turntaker

HSC
tutoring doesn't mean you will achieve better results.. I have seen people get state rank in 4 unit English without a tutor.
Also not all subjects are rote learning.. here are a few that are not: music, drama, physics, chemistry. Even English is not rote learning, you need your own ideas to write a sophisticated essay. Memorising essays is not a good idea since they can ask you any question in an HSC exam. Your thesis needs to be general so you can adapt it on the spot. It is important to practice writing essays on the spot rather than write one essay and memorise it. I think the only real rote-learning subjects are HSIE based and Biology

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
THat is not meant to be the case.

You don't need tutoring, just practice your short responses, essays and stories.

mrreditor and hawkrider (and other BOSers) would be happy to give you constructive criticism on them.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Also not all subjects are rote learning.. here are a few that are not: music, drama, physics, chemistry. Even English is not rote learning, you need your own ideas to write a sophisticated essay. Memorising essays is not a good idea since they can ask you any question in an HSC exam. Your thesis needs to be general so you can adapt it on the spot. It is important to practice writing essays on the spot rather than write one essay and memorise it. I think the only real rote-learning subjects are HSIE based and Biology
niggawuuuuuut

if memorising quotes, thesis statements and certain points isn't rote learning, then I don't know what rote learning is

also, keep in mind that different methods work for different people

THat is not meant to be the case.

You don't need tutoring, just practice your short responses, essays and stories.

mrreditor and hawkrider (and other BOSers) would be happy to give you constructive criticism on them.
I don't want to be harsh FMS, but I get the impression that you want tutoring because you believe that it'll immediately get a b6 which it doesn't necessarily.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
niggawuuuuuut

if memorising quotes, thesis statements and certain points isn't rote learning, then I don't know what rote learning is

also, keep in mind that different methods work for different people

I don't want to be harsh FMS, but I get the impression that you want tutoring because you believe that it'll immediately get a b6 which it doesn't necessarily.
yeah, because my teachers at school don't really mark 'practice essays' and I don't know any bosers who mark essays....

Fiction

HSC
quit complaining, sometimes I'm only given 2 days notice to whip up an english essay :p
I'm doing my Othello essay as well right now haha
Is that even allowed? I thought students had to be given 2 weeks notification for assessments (official)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)