Year 11/12 English Texts (1 Viewer)

chaniie

HSC
I just wanted to know all the english texts that are read for year 11 & 12 advanced and extention english. (books/poetry) etc.

Thanks =)

bored of sc

HSC
Mine.

Year 11 Advanced:
Area of Study (Identity) - Away by Michael Gow.
Comparative - George Orwell's 1984 and McTeigue's V For Vendetta.
Critical - Shakespeare's Othello.
Representation (History and Memory) - chosen from poetry (Shakespeare/Donne/Dickinson etc) - Batter My Heart by John Donne.

Year 12 Advanced:
Area of Study (Belonging) - Poetry from Peter Skrzynecki's Immigrant Chronicle.
Comparative (Texts in Time) - Mary Shelly's Frankenstein and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner.
Critical - Shakespeare's Hamlet.
Representation (History and Memory) - Smithsonian Institute of American History.

Last edited:

speedofsound

HSC
I'm guessing most of year 11 will have different texts depending on your AoS.

We're doing Discovery and reading Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell, Shakespeare's Othello and... I can't remember the other one.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Mine.

Year 11 Advanced:
Representation (History and Memory) - chosen from poetry (Shakespeare/Donne/Dickinson etc) - Batter My Heart by John Donne.

Year 12 Advanced:
Comparative (Texts in Time) - Mary Shelly's Frankenstein and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner.
Representation (History and Memory) - Smithsonian Institute of American History.

I've got some assessment tasks/essays/short stories etc if you would like a sample of what this stuff involves.
We got the same texts buddy. My English teacher told me something about the HSC Exam Paper. She said that it was going to be reformatted and set differently than other years. Is that true? Does that mean we have no idea of its structure?

bored of sc

HSC
We got the same texts buddy. My English teacher told me something about the HSC Exam Paper. She said that it was going to be reformatted and set differently than other years. Is that true? Does that mean we have no idea of its structure?
I'm not sure about the reformatted business. We'll know what the exam structure is. It'll be the same as past years for most of it (e.g. modules especially).

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Mine.

Year 11 Advanced:

Year 12 Advanced:

I've got some assessment tasks/essays/short stories etc if you would like a sample of what this stuff involves.
I wouldn't mind getting a head start so please e-mail a few of those assessment tasks/short stories/essays etc.

Schoey93

HSC
Advanced (2010) - Tess of the D'Urbervilles, the Taming of the Shrew. 2011 - Hamlet
Extension (2010) Pride and Prejudice, I think. (2011) - Biographies for the Life writing elective.

Last edited:

Air Jordan

HSC
I am dong The adventures of Huckleberry Finn atm. And I know my school is doing Othello this year and Hamlet next. Oh, and I think my school is going to do Robert Frost again.

Cardea

HSC
Prelim - Adv.

AOS: Journeys, Jane Eyre
Comparative: Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now
Critical: King Lear

agua.fuego

HSC
Extension 1 English depends on which module you choose, which mine was Texts and Ways of Thinking. So Year 11 I did Gothic (Dracula/Invitation to A Beheading) and Year 12 I'm doing Romanticism (Wuthering Heights at the moment).

Anyway, Extension's HSC info is here: English Prescriptions 2009-2012 Support Materials - Board of Studies NSW
You're looking for the Prescriptions: areas of study, electives and texts — HSC 2009–2012 links, should be second from the top.

Maybe you'll have more luck than me, I couldn't find much to do with Prelim. However, what you do in Year 11 is really similar to Year 12 (Gothic and Romantic pretty much share the same qualities), if that helps. Like Advanced - Alienation goes to Belonging.

ichgo

HSC
also for your Romanticism i watched a film called dead poets society its really good relates to Romanticism. I'm doing Fahrenheit 451 (main text), whose life is it anyways by Brian Clark (related text) and the movie Shawshank Redemption (related text).

ichgo

HSC
i wanted to ask wanted to ask what you guys doing for your visual representation on authority and the individual

is2buddaflies

madness the magnet
HSC
Year 11 Advanced: (Change) Macbeth & "The tiger in the Well"
Macbeth and change arent closely related, so its difficult to link up sometimes.
Extention: (Revenge Tragedy) Medea
Medea is more interesting and fun to learn about tham Macbeth.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
To my memory, I did:
In year 11
Othello, Status Anxiety (TERRIBLE), Animal Farm, Strummer (doco), and probably something else that I've forgotten.

Year 12
Skrzynecki's "Immigrant Chronicle", Pride and Prejudice, Letters to Alice, Hamlet, Wag the Dog (movie, probably less retarded than it sounds).

Quite impossible to guess what texts you'll do for year 12. Their chose by the whim of the English department, which is in my school pretty eratic. Reading all of the various texts to choose from will take you about a year though...

gella

HSC
i believe the correct spelling is "extension"

anyway
advanced: animal farm, othello
extension: castle of otranto, taming of the shrew, and something else.

gella

HSC
Advanced (2010) - Tess of the D'Urbervilles, the Taming of the Shrew. 2011 - Hamlet
Extension (2010) Pride and Prejudice, I think. (2011) - Biographies for the Life writing elective.
you've done your research aye?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)