• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why do so many people boast about their UAI? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
It's a very Aussie thing to bring someone down for being proud of their hard earned achievements. Congrats to those who got a great mark, no matter where that lies in the scheme of things. Because great is relative, depending on only one thing - YOU!

I have a friend who was happy with her 97.something but her Mum was devastated!

Anyway, that aside, what others have said about UAI meaning nothing after a while is true. When I went to Uni the HSC was used to establish the pecking order and after that no one really cared because once those first semester marks came in, everyone knew the new pecking order.

And then, later, employers skip over the academic page, see you are qualified and say "So, what else do you do with yourself?" and check out the extra curricula. SO, don't forget to have a life when you are studying because it is the life you lead that is important as well.

And brag away, what's an achievement without a little bragging.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
I got a No.1 state ranking for kicking ass.

Dickheads.

dp624

HSC
katie tully said:
It's true, hey.

But you would have gotten a lot of that in Sydney. Here at CSU where the highest UAI for a course is like, 70, well, we don't like to wank on much about our 40.65's, but it gets us a beer (out of pity)
I'm sure it'll be quite diferrent at the high-achieving courses of Usyd or UNSW. Nothing drastically important, but you won't get randoms trying to 'cheat' you out of your achievements

lionking1191

HSC
alcalder said:
I have a friend who was happy with her 97.something but her Mum was devastated!
lol what's the bet that the family's asian... in the broader definition.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
alcalder said:
It's a very Aussie thing to bring someone down for being proud of their hard earned achievements. Congrats to those who got a great mark, no matter where that lies in the scheme of things. Because great is relative, depending on only one thing - YOU!
well put. I agree.

HSC
alcalder said:
Anyway, that aside, what others have said about UAI meaning nothing after a while is true. When I went to Uni the HSC was used to establish the pecking order and after that no one really cared because once those first semester marks came in, everyone knew the new pecking order.
ahahahahaha

.. a uni pecking order? what the fuck man, i don't think year 12 results have ever even been discussed with people i know at uni.

who cares? it's a number. you use it to get into uni. after that, it means jack shit and has pretty much no bearing on the rest of your life, except if you're asian ._.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Pecking order doesn't exist. In university there are really only two groups: the shit kids in the corner whispering about their uais and the cool kids who aren't.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
lol pecking order.

oh how far away the HSC was. so so far.

i got a relatively good mark but i was devastated because i missed out on media com at sydney uni.

as in, i cried a litte.

fag.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
dp624 said:
I'm sure it'll be quite diferrent at the high-achieving courses of Usyd or UNSW. Nothing drastically important, but you won't get randoms trying to 'cheat' you out of your achievements
What the fuck are you talking about?

nottellingu

HSC
katie tully said:
No it bloody isn't you clown, because once you've been accepted into uni, it doesn't fucking matter what your UAI is/was, everybody is in the same boat. I can guarantee you that within the first 2 weeks of uni, if you mention your UAI you will get your head flushed. Nobody gives a shit.

Secondly, I'm not a troll. Starting my fourth year of uni in 2009, so I think I'm a fair bit more equipped to tell you guys the truth of the matter than some nerdlingers who are trying to hold on to some glory from the HSC.

If you think anybody will care about your UAI when you go to uni, you're sadly mistaken.
The point i was making is uai = the key to the course you want to do. I am not by any means suggesting that people go to uni with their uai's tattooed on to their fuckin foreheads. And im sure that most people are aware that once you get into a uni course the uai will not be mentioned or talked about.

katie tully said:
Secondly, I'm not a troll. Starting my fourth year of uni in 2009, so I think I'm a fair bit more equipped to tell you guys the truth of the matter than some nerdlingers who are trying to hold on to some glory from the HSC.
Arrogant much ? :jaw: I am sure laurie fields wouldnt say that :D
Since you're doing med sci i am sure u know alot of people that want to transfer to med. If they wish to apply to places such as unsw their academic merit will be 50% uai 50% gpa. So it can sort of carry on with you for a while in some situations, so its not exactly like the uai just flies out the window. But i agree with you in that people who try to hold glory from their hsc will "get their heads flushed down the toilet" emotionally

By posting up hsc marks/uai people arent always trying to glorify themselves. If i was a current hsc student doing 2u mathematics and i see on namu's signature that he topped the state in mathematics then i immediately know a person who would be able to help me and give me advice which is sort of the way this site helps hsc'ers.

No1 called you a troll...stop being so insecure...im sure a 4th yr uni student has better things to do than have a cry over a hsc thread.

dp624

HSC
katie tully said:
What the fuck are you talking about?
different courses, candidatures, attitudes to study
whatever. you're not the end-all opinion to what uni people think

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
nottellingyou said:
Unfortunately trolls come and screw things over.
I believe I was called a troll.

he point i was making is uai = the key to the course you want to do. I am not by any means suggesting that people go to uni with their uai's tattooed on to their fuckin foreheads. And im sure that most people are aware that once you get into a uni course the uai will not be mentioned or talked about.
Yeah no shit sherlock, nobody was disputing this. However, the only people who care about your UAI when it comes to uni admission is the uni itself. And even then, they only care up till the point where they fill vacancies. This is the point - your UAI is irrelevant in the real world. Apart from the uni's deciding who to grant admission to their courses, name me ONE other use for a UAI? Exactly, there aren't any. Thus the whole idea of wanking over your UAI is a bit retarded, yeah?

Since you're doing med sci i am sure u know alot of people that want to transfer to med. If they wish to apply to places such as unsw their academic merit will be 50% uai 50% gpa. So it can sort of carry on with you for a while in some situations, so its not exactly like the uai just flies out the window. But i agree with you in that people who try to hold glory from their hsc will "get their heads flushed down the toilet" emotionally
I don't know anybody in my MedSc course who wants to transfer into medicine. After first year it doesn't matter. I'm 4th year, it'd go entirely on their GPA and UMAT results now.

I know more people doing Engineering and Commerce who want to transfer into Med than those doing MedSc.

By posting up hsc marks/uai people arent always trying to glorify themselves. If i was a current hsc student doing 2u mathematics and i see on namu's signature that he topped the state in mathematics then i immediately know a person who would be able to help me and give me advice which is sort of the way this site helps hsc'ers.
Bullshit, because 99% of BOS posters don't have benevolent intentions like Namu. Namu and I already discussed this - he and I both agree that coming first in the state for a subject IS something to boast about, and it's an achievement you can use (tutoring, etc).

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
dp624 said:
different courses, candidatures, attitudes to study
whatever. you're not the end-all opinion to what uni people think
Every uni student who has posted a response in here thus far has agreed with my sentiments. :)

dp624

HSC
katie tully said:
Bullshit, because 99% of BOS posters don't have benevolent intentions like Namu. Namu and I already discussed this - he and I both agree that coming first in the state for a subject IS something to boast about, and it's an achievement you can use (tutoring, etc).
oh? and getting 99+ uai isn't something that is credible? it's an achievement you can use (tutoring, etc).

also i believe i have benevolent intentions =P

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
dp624 said:
oh? and getting 99+ uai isn't something that is credible? it's an achievement you can use (tutoring, etc).

also i believe i have benevolent intentions =P
No. If I were going to get a tutor, I wouldn't hire them on the basis of their UAI.

I would want to know the marks from their exams. To be perfectly honest, seeing that somebody like Namu received first in the state for 2U would be more appealing to me as a customer, than knowing he got a UAI of 99. Again, because in reality other than granting you admission to uni, it doesn't actually mean anything.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Lol. I'm already over my UAI. I got enough to get into my first preference, now I don't care anymore.

People keep complementing me and stuff and I just want to be like "shut the fuck up".

dp624

HSC
Hey, don;'t get me wrong. I honestly believe that I don't boast about my uai. or at least i try not to. it's just that i don't like people who say "yeah whatever dude you did well now get over it." that just really takes out the sense of achievement for like an entire year of schooling.
and yes i hate excess complimenting.

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Hey, don;'t get me wrong. I honestly believe that I don't boast about my uai. or any of the people i know. it's just that i don't like people who say "yeah whatever dude you did well now get over it." that just really takes out the sense of achievement for like an entire year of schooling.
and yes i hate excess complimenting.
QFT

beleiev it or not, getting 99+ UAI is an achievement

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Wtf who cares

Be proud of it all you want (quietly) but recognise it for what it is (as in, nothing of much importance). It's JUST a number. Which will mean absolutely jack shit nothing once you get to uni. Once you set foot on campus on your first day you do not talk about it, its irrelevant and nobody cares.

Honestly. Nobody. Except weirdos.

Like don't get me wrong I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud, I remember bouncing around all like :D :D when I got mine but I got over it in like 2 days and now I have to struggle to even remember what it was.

It's just a totally unimportant thing in every way once you've started uni is all I'm saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)