• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why do so many people boast about their UAI? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah tbh, putting your UAI in your sig is wanky.

As of February 2009, when you dweeby little munchkins go to uni, your UAI will be about as relevant as your year 7 mid semester marks.

Nobody cares.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
katie tully said:

As of February 2009, when you dweeby little munchkins go to uni, your UAI will be about as relevant as your year 7 mid semester marks.

Nobody cares.
juz kuz we beat u in da hsc dun be nvuz

hahahaha. :p

dp624

HSC
katie tully said:

Nobody cares.
people do care you know. to be completely honest, those who worked hard and got what they deserved are happy.
those who didn't also deserved what they got

nottellingu

HSC
katie tully said:

Nobody cares.
Okay firstly a persons uai is just that their uai - university admissions index. Its purpose is to get you into the university course you desire. A persons uai is very relevant once you go to uni as without it you wont even be there in the first place.

A uai greater than 99 can for some people be less than what is required for their course. Many people have their hearts set on doing say law at usyd and a uai of 99.10 wont suffice even though it is a very healthy uai. Many courses require more than just a uai ! Even though I have got a 99 uai it is very unlikely that I will get a med place at unsw or uws due to my below par umat score.

So while you may think that every person that gets over 99 uai is out their boasting and partying away because they can get into whatever course they want with a 10K scholarship its FAR from the truth.

And people don’t just put their uai, subject marks and the university couse they are studying on their signature to look like fucking heroes. It will help dumb ass posters like yourself figure out what sort of hsc marks translate to a particular uai. And what combos of uai/umat/stat ect get u places in courses that have other selection criteria besides the uai.

The purpose of this forum is to provide HELP and ASSITANCE to students doing the hsc/vce ect. Unfortunately trolls come and screw things over.

dolbinau

HSC
dp624 said:
people do care you know. to be completely honest, those who worked hard and got what they deserved are happy.
those who didn't also deserved what they got
Well I/ a lot of people care now but I agree when we start Uni I'm not sure why anyone would care if they are in the course they want etc.

dp624

HSC
dolbinau said:
Well I/ a lot of people care now but I agree when we start Uni I'm not sure why anyone would care if they are in the course they want etc.
but that's the point - if you're NOT in the course you want, you're bitter. you try to get over it by making others lose their sense of pride and jazz

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
nottellingu said:
Okay firstly a persons uai is just that their uai - university admissions index. Its purpose is to get you into the university course you desire. A persons uai is very relevant once you go to uni as without it you wont even be there in the first place.

A uai greater than 99 can for some people be less than what is required for their course. Many people have their hearts set on doing say law at usyd and a uai of 99.10 wont suffice even though it is a very healthy uai. Many courses require more than just a uai ! Even though I have got a 99 uai it is very unlikely that I will get a med place at unsw or uws due to my below par umat score.

So while you may think that every person that gets over 99 uai is out their boasting and partying away because they can get into whatever course they want with a 10K scholarship its FAR from the truth.

And people don’t just put their uai, subject marks and the university couse they are studying on their signature to look like fucking heroes. It will help dumb ass posters like yourself figure out what sort of hsc marks translate to a particular uai. And what combos of uai/umat/stat ect get u places in courses that have other selection criteria besides the uai.

The purpose of this forum is to provide HELP and ASSITANCE to students doing the hsc/vce ect. Unfortunately trolls come and screw things over.
Well said. And yeah sigs with marks do help... it saves me the trouble of going to UAI calculators :D

nottellingu

HSC
annabackwards said:
Well said. And yeah sigs with marks do help... it saves me the trouble of going to UAI calculators :D
UAI calculators i.e. sam arent as accurate as uac :haha:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
No it bloody isn't you clown, because once you've been accepted into uni, it doesn't fucking matter what your UAI is/was, everybody is in the same boat. I can guarantee you that within the first 2 weeks of uni, if you mention your UAI you will get your head flushed. Nobody gives a shit.

Secondly, I'm not a troll. Starting my fourth year of uni in 2009, so I think I'm a fair bit more equipped to tell you guys the truth of the matter than some nerdlingers who are trying to hold on to some glory from the HSC.

If you think anybody will care about your UAI when you go to uni, you're sadly mistaken.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
tommykins said:
juz kuz we beat u in da hsc dun be nvuz

hahahaha. :p
A squirrel on crack beat me in the HSC, but I got into the course I wanted and the crack squirrel didn't.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
nottellingu said:
UAI calculators i.e. sam arent as accurate as uac :haha:
That's true, but estimates do really help when my preferred course has a cut off of 98.80 right now =="

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah, I assume anybody who doesn't suck up to these guys because of their UAI is a troll.

Hey guys. You wouldn't remember Laurie Field. He got 100. He didn't boast about it. Fuck, he didn't even want the legions of BOS girls throwing themselves at him.

He's an hero.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Most of the people I met in first week who wouldn't stop talking about their UAI still don't have many friends.
It's true, hey.

But you would have gotten a lot of that in Sydney. Here at CSU where the highest UAI for a course is like, 70, well, we don't like to wank on much about our 40.65's, but it gets us a beer (out of pity)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
Yeah, I assume anybody who doesn't suck up to these guys because of their UAI is a troll.

Hey guys. You wouldn't remember Laurie Field. He got 100. He didn't boast about it. Fuck, he didn't even want the legions of BOS girls throwing themselves at him.

He's an hero.
yeah, true.

All those 100 UAI people on this website don't boast about it either (won't name him/her)...but I am not saying that there is something wrong with boasting...some people are just happy.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Everything is wrong with boasting about your UAI.

Ok, ok. This is what I don't mind -

If you want to tell everybody you came first in 2U maths, despite only being in Year 11, then I think you should be able to boast about it. It's an outstanding achievement.

UAI's are not the same as this. A UAI means shit. When you go to uni, topping the state in maths will always be an achievement you should be proud of. Your UAI is not, because I can freaking assure you that if you mention your UAI once, this is how many friends you will have for the remainder of your degree.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
Everything is wrong with boasting about your UAI.

Ok, ok. This is what I don't mind -

If you want to tell everybody you came first in 2U maths, despite only being in Year 11, then I think you should be able to boast about it. It's an outstanding achievement.

UAI's are not the same as this. A UAI means shit. When you go to uni, topping the state in maths will always be an achievement you should be proud of. Your UAI is not, because I can freaking assure you that if you mention your UAI once, this is how many friends you will have for the remainder of your degree.

I do agree that what I am doing (and what others are doing) on this website is quite wanky too. That's why I refrained from putting my "achievement" on sig for the first few weeks... but after thinking about that for a bit, I guess I wanted to keep that sense of achievement that I have worked really hard for and accomplished at the end.

And I guess that's why many people are "boasting" about their UAI or subjects results or whatever. It doesn't mean that they will talk about their UAI in uni, "boasting" just keeps that feeling and pride of their achievement I guess..for some time until we get to the time when our results and marks become redundant and irrelevant. I will put that thing off once I get into yr 12 stage as my achievement would be a total past... but for now, I just want to keep that as a motivator and to feel proud of myself for a bit longer..:eek:

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
although i disagree that a 'UAI means shit', i agree that it's not something u should bring into a conversation unless asked

IMO getting a high UAI is an outstanding achievement (that's why it is honoured on dux days, etc), as is topping the state in subjects or being ranked in top 20, etc, but that's just my opinion, and other people's opinions are also valid

getting a high UAI does not make u better than anyone else - we are all human beings - it simply means you performed better in a set of exams/assignments

The notion that this counts as nothing is as ridiculous as the notion that this counts for everything, as always in life, a balnce needs to be struck

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
katie tully said:

Nobody cares.
Katie speaks the truth. I guarantee nobody at uni will care what your uai was. If you go around boasting about it you will look like an idiot.

I don't even remember exactly what mine was.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
People who got high uais should b allowed 2 boast 4 a bit cos it is a well deserved effort 4 a year of hardwork and having a fairly small social life.

Just let every1 who wants 2 boast about their UAI boast about it 4 a few weeks. Let's face it, by the middle of next year, nobody is really gonna give a stuff anyway.

And yeah, most people who get high uais are actually motivated by the fact they want 2 get in2 a course...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)