Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity? (1 Viewer)

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
No. Just no. Shut up and keep your prejudiced views that no even slightly intelligent person agrees with to yourself.

Also Islam is a religion that is almost exactly the same as Judaism (aside from the fact we have some more Prophets). So as a Jew, you are in a sense insulting your own beliefs.
The entire basis of the situation is that Mohammed is whom you should emulate in your day to day goings on.

TBH

IMO

QBQ

FnHeroes

HSC
I don't think you understand that people aren't attacking people because they're Christian, they attack them because they say stupid stuff. If people would stop spouting their religious views, then those views won't be critisised. And if you post something, something that is possible controversial or obviously has religious backing, then be prepared for people to say that they don't agree with you. I really don't see a problem, if you don't want to cop slack, then keep your mouth shut. If you want to have a legitimate conversation/argument, then don't take the moral highground, and be a little more understanding when it comes to recognising that there are alot of people who honestly couldn't care what religion you are, but do care if you say things they don't agree with.
Moral of the story: Harden up, and accept the fact that not everyone is going to like you if you start telling them that they'tre wrong because they don't subscribe to your beliefs, wether you're Monothestic, Polytheistec, or honestly couldn't give a shit. AKA, Atheistic.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I don't have a problem with Christianity but I do have a problem with SOME Christians...
People attack because many of you:
a) force your relgion down our throat
b) fail to understand/accept that we have our opinions
c) tell us we are wrong because we don't believe in the same things
d) tell us things will happen to us because of things we don't believe in

I have friends from many different religious groups, I like them all and having nothing against their belief provided they don't force it down your throat or constantly tell you you are wrong

Rosalily

HSC
There you have it ladies and gentlemen, someone who is proud to say that they have no regard for evidence, no regard for truth, but would rather entertain 'faith based' delusions. Yes very well, but you must leave the rest of us out it. Keep the 'god' voices in your head to yourself and when their comes a point that these voices tell you to murder your children (as seen in The New Testament) then be nice enough to check yourself into a mental asylum.
What i love about non-christians is they feel its perfectly alright to ridicule a faith they don't understand. Do you know any christians who have murdered their children?

dindiqotu

HSC
As someone mentioned quite early on in the thread, I don't think anybody here is seriously stating that religion in wrong. Personally, I don't believe we can ever know anything for sure, we can only make assumptions and educated guesses based on the evidence we're presented with. Taking into account our own personal desires, backgrounds and psychological needs, we may or may not choose religion to complement our own personal lives.

I don't really feel the need to KNOW who created the universe as I know it, and I would much rather remain in this ignorance than decide categorically one way or the other, as I believe it's a waste of precious time to throw my life in worship at something that I can't be totally sure exists. I can only act morally good (to the extent of my own beliefs) in not hurting others and by protecting those people I love. And, it would simply go against evolution if absolutely nobody "got along", as we wouldn't be furthering the species. Social stability and morals are what keep humanity alive, regardless of creed, and that pretty much equals the Christian (and Bhuddist, and Hindu, and Muslim, and pretty much all other major religions') guidelines. I have to assume (and of course, I may well be wrong), that 99.9% of the people on this board uphold to some extent the basic rules of morality and civility, which Christians claim as their own.

What the "atheists" posting here (myself included, though I identify as agnostic) are complaining about is people disrespecting and disregarding the choices of people who have decided not to believe in the Christian God. I have had more than one former Christian friend express their deep concerns that I would one day be damned to eternity in hell because I did not follow their particular faith. To me that's more morally wrong, to suggest such a thing and to deliberately upset someone in the hope that that person might possibly feel enough guilt or fear to "join them" in faith, than to not follow a faith at all.

One in particular has sincerely expressed to me that he feels confident that, even if he cheats, steals, rapes, kills and lies, he will still go to heaven because he has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his saviour. This TERRIFIES me, because in all other aspects he is extremely attractive, intelligent, well-spoken and well-off, and I can definitely see him one day in a position of power. The idea that he will breed (and he will - contraception is the work of the devil) and teach these so-called values to his children is MY concept of hell.

Having said that, I know quite a few very intelligent, very companionable and very devout Christians. My boyfriend is a strong Christian, and I love him very much. The difference between these friends and the people we're complaining about is the level of respect, and the acceptance of myself as a person, not as a particular "worshipper".

And, that's my 2 cents. </rant>

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
What i love about non-christians is they feel its perfectly alright to ridicule a faith they don't understand. Do you know any christians who have murdered their children?
You might want to have a look in the bible (hint god explicitly demands Abraham to murder his son) before you make such a fool of yourself. So yea, never ever, ever speak again.

PhilosopherKing

HSC
You might want to have a look in the bible (hint god explicitly demands Abraham to murder his son) before you make such a fool of yourself. So yea, never ever, ever speak again.
That's actually in the Old Testament, not the New as you proclaimed.

Also, I swear you just directly copied what Christopher Hitchens has said on many occassions in interviews/debates, but failed to get the book right.

That is:

"There you have it ladies and gentlemen, someone who is proud to say that they have no regard for evidence, no regard for truth, but would rather entertain 'faith based' delusions. Yes very well, but you must leave the rest of us out it. Keep the 'god' voices in your head to yourself and when their comes a point that these voices tell you to murder your children (as seen in The New Testament) then be nice enough to check yourself into a mental asylum."

Edit: Please think for yourself, the Hitch is kool, but you completely lack his intellectual quota and its rather embarrassing.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Question:

Why is it, then, that whenever you ask a priest a question, they always answer back with a question.

Example- (this is paraphrased from a real conversation)

'So if God is all powerful and whatnot, why does he allow rape and murder?'

'How can you say rape and murder are the doings of God and not man?'

'...wha?'

The thing is, Christianity provides absolutely no definitive answers. Why do I want to profess everything I have to something which has no answers. I mean, what is 'faith' but insecurity manifested into blind worship?

I don't hate Christians. In fact, my best friends are Christians. I just...don't understand how someone can give their all to...nothing.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You just dont understand Christianity, obviously. If you did, you'd know that the Truth of Christ's life, death and resurrection finely details how we are to interact with the world, love and trust God and retain Hope in salvation. By pointing to the infinite and eternal, it quenches our spiritual thirsts which would otherwise sup from Satan's cup of death

fliick

HSC
N/A
Question:

The thing is, Christianity provides absolutely no definitive answers. Why do I want to profess everything I have to something which has no answers. I mean, what is 'faith' but insecurity manifested into blind worship?

I don't hate Christians. In fact, my best friends are Christians. I just...don't understand how someone can give their all to...nothing.
You have to take everything you know with a grain of salt.
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices aquired by age 18" - The one and only Einstein. My point is everything is inconclusive, no matter how much evidence you have.

Linxthesontaran

HSC
i know more about christianity than i do about atheism and the more you delve into christianity the more holes you find. I started my what you might call "spiritual journey" in an unbias possition and was taught alot about christianity, at first it seemed normal but eventually became an atheist.

Can't you see how christianity and wider religion just doesnt add up. I dont think atheists are trying to attack you but are trying to show you that religion is dying out because humans are becomeing more advanced and are realising that religeon is an old, less civilised, nonsensical beleif and atheists are trying to show you this in the same way christians preach to others about the bible. :)

HSC
N/A
i know more about christianity than i do about atheism and the more you delve into christianity the more holes you find. I started my what you might call "spiritual journey" in an unbias possition and was taught alot about christianity, at first it seemed normal but eventually became an atheist.

Can't you see how christianity and wider religion just doesnt add up. I dont think atheists are trying to attack you but are trying to show you that religion is dying out because humans are becomeing more advanced and are realising that religeon is an old, less civilised, nonsensical beleif and atheists are trying to show you this in the same way christians preach to others about the bible. :)
Christianity does have so many holes because the book was changed by man. Read the quran and you will find the truth that our creator wanted us to read

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Question:

Why is it, then, that whenever you ask a priest a question, they always answer back with a question.

Example- (this is paraphrased from a real conversation)

'So if God is all powerful and whatnot, why does he allow rape and murder?'

'How can you say rape and murder are the doings of God and not man?'

'...wha?'

By your logic, everyone is giving their all to "nothing" anyway.
What do you want answers to?
I'll answer where your priest could not:
God allows rape and murder because he allowed people to make choices in their lives. People live in communities and relate with one another, so an individuals choices affect other people.
That's why Jesus said that there would be tribulation for us "in this world".

HSC
N/A
well lets face it, Christianity is the most illogical religion ever. The pagans distorted the teaching of allah and look what happens.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Christianity does have so many holes because the book was changed by man. Read the quran and you will find the truth that our creator wanted us to read
Dude, read some history. Cyrus was pagan.

Shit troll is shit.

itszen

HSC
I think personally that atheist on BOD always trash christianity is because christians always shove their own religious beliefs into other people's throats even though it doesn't even affect the Christian community at all. The Christian community does have a large power in Australia ( but rapidly declining) and they tend to use it and influence our 'secular' politics.I mean by saying this i dont intend to criticize anyone's christianity but its they way view certain subjects and use their 'political power' to change anything they 'THINK' is wrong just because its their view.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
The word faith is the precursor to ridicule.

In fact, when you need faith, its due to the fact that understanding is NOT possible: ie "I'll convince myself to believe anyway, in spite of reason".

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
You just dont understand Christianity, obviously. If you did, you'd know that the Truth of Christ's life, death and resurrection finely details how we are to interact with the world, love and trust God and retain Hope in salvation. By pointing to the infinite and eternal, it quenches our spiritual thirsts which would otherwise sup from Satan's cup of death
You'd best be trolling, I can't believe someone would believe such dross.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)