Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Which university is more reputable,credible, and better for Business/Commerce

Which should you pick? That's a question for you.
Which one is more reputable/credible? Mixture between USyd and UNSW, but if I had to pick one, it'd be UNSW.
Which one will give you a better chance of employment? That's up to you. You are what you make of your degree. If you go to uni, come home, go to uni, come home (repeat for three years), there won't be a chance of employment anywhere for you.

enoilgam

HSC
Re: Which university is more reputable,credible, and better for Business/Commerce

I think he is trying to say that if you put no effort into your degree and get passes, then your chances of employment anywhere arent going to be very good, regardless of what uni you go to.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A

from an observer/newb who doesnt know anything about bus/comm, id say USyd has a bigger name/reptuation.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

from an observer/newb who doesnt know anything about bus/comm, id say USyd has a bigger name/reptuation.
And you'd probably be wrong. From what I hear, UNSW has the best business/commerce school out of those.

enoilgam

HSC

And you'd probably be wrong. From what I hear, UNSW has the best business/commerce school out of those.
From what I've heard, UNSW is overtaking Usyd in quite a few areas.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A

perhaps. im pretty much just going by world uni rankings lol.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

UNSW bruz

tambam

HSC

Could you explain this a bit more?
Commerce is a very competitive industry, because every job you apply for as a grad, there will be thousands of people applying for the same position.

Its not even enough to just have good grades, you need to make yourself stand out any way you can.
For example, employees will look for extra curricular activities, communicationn skills,
And of course having good work experience will separate you from all those other people who are just grads. So go to summer vac jobs, internships while you''re still studying, rather thann just trying to get good marks and assume that's good enough to get you employed.

I spoke to an executive director at one of the big 4 accounting firms recently, andd he said they're actually much less likely to hire just grads straight out of uni who have had zero experience, they're tring to increasse the number of cadets and give uni students vacation jobs and offer them employment froom there.

Oh, also from speaking to uni kids, I've heard unsw busiiness school is better if you just want to do commerce. But for comm/law usyd is still the best

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Commerce is a very competitive industry, because every job you apply for as a grad, there will be thousands of people applying for the same position.

Its not even enough to just have good grades, you need to make yourself stand out any way you can.
For example, employees will look for extra curricular activities, communicationn skills,
And of course having good work experience will separate you from all those other people who are just grads. So go to summer vac jobs, internships while you''re still studying, rather thann just trying to get good marks and assume that's good enough to get you employed.

I spoke to an executive director at one of the big 4 accounting firms recently, andd he said they're actually much less likely to hire just grads straight out of uni who have had zero experience, they're tring to increasse the number of cadets and give uni students vacation jobs and offer them employment froom there.

Oh, also from speaking to uni kids, I've heard unsw busiiness school is better if you just want to do commerce. But for comm/law usyd is still the best
From what I heard comm/law, sci/law and engg/law -unsw
arts/law- usyd

For Commerce if you can't make a decision I would pick UNSW but it really doesn't matter that much.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A

postgrad business at unsw is better than usyd

undergrad unsw = usyd...... unsw offers actuarial, and you'll most get a better timetable at unsw

i chose unsw and would choose it again

edit, rep/credibility irrelevant

get good marks, learn to write creative bullshit on your applications, and your set

sophiesophie123

HSC
N/A

If you look at the various international ranking systems for the past 5 years, Australian National University (ANU) has actually been consistently ranked the highest out of all Australian universities, except for two occasions. Along with Melbourne Uni its the most highly respected university internationally. So maybe you should consider it too? I'm planning on going there for Combined Law, it's regarded as the best law degree in Aust, and the ATAR cut-off is like wayyyy lower!

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A

1. ANU LLB is not regarded as the best law degree
2. it is not the most highly respected australian uni internationally
3. rankings are usually based on research. undergraduate rankings are pretty subjective
4. dont go out of your way to goto ANU. relocating for ANU is stupid. internal tranfer into law is piss easy

tambam

HSC

If you look at the various international ranking systems for the past 5 years, Australian National University (ANU) has actually been consistently ranked the highest out of all Australian universities, except for two occasions. Along with Melbourne Uni its the most highly respected university internationally. So maybe you should consider it too? I'm planning on going there for Combined Law, it's regarded as the best law degree in Aust, and the ATAR cut-off is like wayyyy lower!
Wow, anyone who bases their uni choic on which one is ranked the highest is making a really poor decision.
Global rankings don''t generally mean anything for undergrad courses...They are based on post graduate research achievements,, which wil in no way affect or benefit your own studies.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Wow, anyone who bases their uni choic on which one is ranked the highest is making a really poor decision.
Global rankings don''t generally mean anything for undergrad courses...They are based on post graduate research achievements,, which wil in no way affect or benefit your own studies.
It does benefit your studies, if your lecturer is really smart and is doing some amazing research they probably know their stuff and will be a very effective teacher.

tambam

HSC

It does benefit your studies, if your lecturer is really smart and is doing some amazing research they probably know their stuff and will be a very effective teacher.
Yeah, but that wouldn''t depend purely on the global university ranking right?
Like that poster was implying ANU is the best uni in australia and to go to it purely beccause of its rank, when the reputation of uni dependds on much more than that,and you need to look at which unis are better known for certain courses.
Like sydney for law/arts and unsw for commerce, engineering etc.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

shadowdood have you raped her yet?

kfnmpah

HSC

WROOOOOOOOONG

Are you retarded? Just because someone is really smart and doing amazing research does NOT in any way, shape or form mean they will be an effective teacher.
I have a maths lecturer from england who is a genius, but he is an atrocious lecturer. He is nick-named 'gandalf' i.e. You shall not pass.
He is a genius, doing genius research, but he is terrible at teaching. Like, i mean absolutely horrid.
There is a first year maths course, when he is teaching his half of it, it has a 54% fail rate.

EDIT: I passed (got a credit, actually)! Yay for teaching yourself things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)